Profile for Justin > Reviews

Content by Justin

Justin

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Valour (Faithful & the Fallen 2)
Valour (Faithful & the Fallen 2)
Price: 6.55

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely brilliant! the best fantasy novel I have ever read. better than Game of Thrones, 1 May 2014
I enjoyed Malice, even though I found it difficult to get into. Valour was a really much better novel, not that Malice was bad but Valour is brilliant.

I really enjoy the short chapters and shifting viewpoints. The characters all have interesting back stories and are well developed. John Gwynne doesn't quite have George R.R. Martin's callous disregard for his characters, but you never really know whether all the characters are going to make it. I was surprised when Kastell was killed off, but in Valour we see Maquin's character and story develop in a gripping way. Maquin is one of my favourite characters and I hope his path eventually crosses Corbans.

I found it very difficult to put this novel down reading on the train, at lunchtime and late into the night.

I hope I don't have to wait too long for Book 3, but I'll definitely be pre-ordering it.

A great book.

Malice (The Faithful and The Fallen Book One)
Malice (The Faithful and The Fallen Book One)
Price: 4.19

5.0 out of 5 stars a bit of a slow start, but worth sticking with, 19 April 2014
I found it quite difficult to get into this at first. However it became more and more compelling the more I read. Great book with references to Celtic mythos.

Never Go Back: (Jack Reacher 18)
Never Go Back: (Jack Reacher 18)
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars great book but you never really worry about Jack, 16 Oct 2013
A great story. Interesting to see the conclusion of this storyline with Jack finally making it back to the 110th. The problem is he's almost invincible. I didn't once worry that he might not make it this time. I don't think he even got a scratch.

Top Trumps Specials Harry Potter
Top Trumps Specials Harry Potter

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't clear that this was "order of the Phoenix", 14 Oct 2013
A little disappointed. It wasn't clear that this was order of the Phoenix because it just said "Harry potter specials". My daughter hadn't seen this film so didn't know who most of the characters were.

Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans
Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans
Offered by Dandy Candy
Price: 3.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy, 14 Oct 2013
Bought these for my daughters 7th birthday. She is a great harry potter fan. The beans are great, but you don't get many for your money. Some of the flavours are truly disgusting...rotten egg and sausage are foul. Soap, earwax are not too bad!

Jackass Frigate (Fighting Sail Series Book 2)
Jackass Frigate (Fighting Sail Series Book 2)
Price: 4.69

4.0 out of 5 stars A great insight into the life on board a frigate, 14 Oct 2013
A good follow up to the first book in the fighting sail series.

It was good to see some of the interesting characters from the first book reappearing. It was good to see how the battle of the "Glorious first of June" from a frigates viewpoint.

Enjoy.

His Majestys Ship (Fighting Sail Series Book 1)
His Majestys Ship (Fighting Sail Series Book 1)
Price: 4.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written rounded story, 10 Sep 2013
His majesty's ship is a well researched and enjoyable take on the Napoleonic naval story. Well worth a read. Enjoy

Leopardkill   -   A Cavalry Tale
Leopardkill - A Cavalry Tale
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. A fresh and exciting take on the Penninsular War from a cavalryman's viewpoint, 2 Sep 2013
An excellent sequel to "walls of Jericho". One of the most compelling and enjoyable books I've read for a long time. The cavalry viewpoint is novel, and the author clearly understands horses, the role of cavalry and their tactics. The two key characters Killen and Lock are well drawn with the occasional tension between the childhood friends of their rank and social status making for interesting side stories. It would be nice in future novels to see whether Killen remains the epitome of a cavalry officer and gentleman, or whether he will develop some of the flaws that make Lock such an interesting character.

Jonathan Hopkins writes vivid and detailed action sequences, and you can imagine the speed, and pace of a cavalry charge from his writing.

So, how good is the book? Bernard Cornwell sets the standard for this genre, and Hopkins is better by far. I can't wait or the next novel.

Spinward Fringe Broadcast 7: Framework
Spinward Fringe Broadcast 7: Framework
Price: 1.81

4.0 out of 5 stars The saga continues, 13 Mar 2013
I read the first episode of the spinward fringe saga as a free download to my kindle. It's a huge sprawling saga in the grand traditions of space opera and I love it.

I found the latest episode a little difficult to get into due to the gap between reading Broadcast 6: over a year ago. The plot line has got increasingly complex, and it took a while to pick up the threads. While the writing and subject matter is unlikely to win any awards the characterisation is good, the characters being complex and interesting set in a great and imaginative setting. It reminds me a lot of my days playing the RPG Traveller.

Great fun, and enjoyable reading.

Jaggy Splinters
Jaggy Splinters
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad book of short stories, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: Jaggy Splinters (Kindle Edition)
I was a bit disappointed to discover this was a book of 3-4 short stories or essays. My fault for not reading the description properly. I was just getting in to a Jack Parlabane novel about the homeopathic industry, when it was over!

Good fun and enjoyable, but too short.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3