Profile for PHILIP MCNALLY > Reviews

Seize the Day: 366 Tips for Living
by Albery Wienrich

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Wise! Bargin! Book!, 21 Aug. 2009
This book is brilliant!

Ive got shelves of great books and Ive got 1000's of great quotes ive collected on my pc over the years. I state these two facts because i think it says a LOT about how highly I rate this book when I confirm- I read it everyday!

Ive been opening this book every morning at a random page. Almost every time is outstanding advice. 49 out of 50 is some of the best advice ive read or already learnt (in many cases the hard way! If only Id bought this book sooner!)

Tips like;
'Being present is the best present'
'Never say something can't be done- be positive'
'Question create your reality' (Katie Byron would agree to that!)
'Always make the effort to attend a funeral'
'You can do hard'
'Don't do what you hate'
'The single most important decision is...believe that the universe is friendly.' (Albert Einstein!)

Here is one quote not in the book that comes to mind;
'The man that has buys expensive crys once, the man that buys cheap crys many times.'
Its perfect metaphor for happiness/health/wealth/life and this book. Buying it and reading it (or hire from library) now is a small cost or dont buy it (or read it) and pay later.

I like to learn and ive got lots to learn. This book is a great help. And a great short cut.

A wise investment. To be a wise person I just need to follow all the advice. Easier said than done :)

When I first started reading this book I would mark the pages which contains a trully exceptional piece of advice. I am running out of page markers! 20 and counting

Happiness Expert
Author of 'Winning Mentality- 7 Mind Techniques Used by Winners'

The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living
The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living
by The Dalai Lama

5.0 out of 5 stars Decrease unhappiness! Helpful book for a happier life!, 29 Mar. 2009
If you were given the option would you choose to have AIDS or choose to have a million pounds?

If you choose to become a millionaire, you chose to be LESS happy. Dr Howard Cutler shares a true story in his book of the happy AIDS man and the unhappy millionaire woman. This story shocked, amazed and inspired me. It seems we find it hard to appreciate life unless we are closer to death. This book includes many more gems like this to help us all avoid doing certain things and thinking in certain ways which make us unhappy and START doing certain things and thinking in certain ways to make us more happy.

Unless we learn more about happiness every decision we make could take us closer to our goals (e.g. to be richer) and further away from what we really want- to be happier. It is just like spending years climbing up a ladder and not realising it is against the wrong wall.

Dr Cutler has put together a wonderful and very helpful book. I find myself reading and re-reading so many sections of the book. The book is packed with wisdom from the Dalai Lama, relevant and proven scientific research and some helpful and extremely honest personal stories of Dr Culter's own. Many of his stories do not show him in a good light! Yet, I feel he has skillfully and courageously written and compiled one of the most helpful books on happiness and shown a beacon of light onto a happier path for all of us. For that, I wish to shine a light towards Dr Cutler and say "thank you. I'm impressed and inspired by your book. My life will be better and happier because of your work AND so will the life's of those that I touch".
Author, `Winning Mentality'

Happier: Learn the Secrets to Daily Joy and Lasting Fulfillment
Happier: Learn the Secrets to Daily Joy and Lasting Fulfillment
by Tal Ben-Shahar

5.0 out of 5 stars "Short, simple, super!, 11 May 2008
Happiness is simple but not easy!
I found this book super! His message and stories really struck a cord with me. His message on time pressure V time affluence (the later translates to happiness, time pressure translates to stress and unhappiness) is something that I have been thinking about a lot ever since I read about it. His MPS forumla is simple but great. It will take me months to apply all the advice in this book. Tal is one of THE wisest and best teachers I have come across. Memorable, understandable and powerful stories and examples is my test of a great teacher. Tal passes with flying colours! After meeting Tal recently I can confirm that he walks the walk and talks the talk (he meditates daily, exercises 4 times a week and spends lots of time with his family and doing what he loves). Read this book if you want to be wiser. Apply this book if you want to be happier!

VeryHappyPhil.com

The How Of Happiness: A Practical Guide to Getting The Life You Want
The How Of Happiness: A Practical Guide to Getting The Life You Want
by Sonja Lyubomirsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 11 May 2008
Sonja has written a very helpful and inspiring book packed with useful advice. I enjoyed the stories and writing style and the proven strategies on how to successfully set happiness boosting goals and form new habits. The best part is the 12 happiness boosting habits. I have taken her advice and will keep taking it. It has boosted my happiness and it will boost my happiness for years to come! Hugging and best future self is two things I will be adopting amoungst others :)

Being Happy!: A Handbook to Greater Confidence and Security
Being Happy!: A Handbook to Greater Confidence and Security
by Andrew Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book to read to be happy!, 16 Sept. 2006
Andrew has written (and drawn) a superb and snappy book. He covers everything you need to enjoy and succeed in life and explains everything really well. Easy to understand and a very enjoyable read. No big words or confusing language. Important knowledge contained within this book that could be read by anyone from 10-110 years old. Nice Summaries and nice pictures. And makes a nice present. Luckily the only thing he doesnt cover is the best mind techniques for business and sport otherwise no one would read my book!

The Luck Factor: The Scientific Study of the Lucky Mind
The Luck Factor: The Scientific Study of the Lucky Mind
by Richard Wiseman

5.0 out of 5 stars Read book + Follow book= Become very lucky!, 16 Sept. 2006
A very important book everyone MUST read. Great advice and great evidence to back it up. Whether you are a lucky or unlucky person now, you will become very lucky if you follow his advice. I thought the research on superstitions was brilliant. I have always been lucky and have always laughed at superstitions like black cats, ladders and broken mirrors but now I have the research up back up my intuitive /common sense beliefs. Only those with a negative and skeptical closed mind will not find benefit from this book. Everyone else will love it! The experiments like the cafe and the lucky and unlucky stories are worth the cost of the book alone. You cannot fault the findings and the tips. However I actually believe that positive visualisation is even more powerful than science can prove yet, but it will one day.

Do not risk missing out on improving your life. Look up the luck factor website for the 4 main tips. Advice so good I included it within my own book 'Winning Mentality'. Richard Wisemans Four tips for being lucky;

· Maximise chance opportunities

· Listen to your intuition

· Be Positive

· Put bad experiences into perspective (Be Positive)

The reason I bought the book was because the advice was not stuff I knew already or just common sense. For example;

"We are traditionally taught to be really focused, to be really driven, to try really hard at tasks. But in the real world, you've got opportunities all around you. And if you're driven in one direction, you're not going to spot the others. Unlucky people, if they go to a party wanting to meet the love of their life, end up not meeting people who might become close friends or people who might help them in their careers. Being relaxed and open allows lucky people to see what's around them and to maximise what's around them." -Prof Richard Wiseman

Get the book and read all 14 tips! Get lucky like me!

You Can Heal Your Life: Gift Edition
You Can Heal Your Life: Gift Edition
by Louise Hay
Edition: Perfect Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Ground breaking book! Health mind= healthy body, 16 Sept. 2006
Very readable. Very useful. Very powerful. Everything from affirmations to resistance to change to health.

Louise suggests that most (not 100 percent) of illness have a psycological cause within our own mind. I think she is right. Only when the mind/body connection is pointed out like Louise suggests do you suddenly become 'aware'. It is often hard to accept for most of the population that we cause our own illness. Only when we accept responsiblity for our lifes and our health as louise suggests do we gain personal power.

Louises life story is inspiring too. Zero to Hero. If this book was more widely read more people would have a better life and better physical and mental health. I have not seen any other book in the self help field that covers the mind and body connection like Louise, therefore this book is a must read regardless of what other books you have read. You wont regret it.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2012 7:24 PM GMT

The Power of Your Subconscious Mind: One of the Most Powerful Self-help Guides Ever Written!
by Joseph Murphy

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful. Amazing. Mind Power!, 16 Sept. 2006
Powerful. Amazing. Comprehensive. Advice to improve every aspect of life. Simple to understand and to apply. The stories and evidence of the techniques are superb. This book was one of the first books to reveal how powerful positive visualisations or positive affirmations can be. The two techniques are included in my own book and many books released after this classic book was first published.

A great book. A great buy.

Mindstore: The Ultimate Mental Fitness Programme
Mindstore: The Ultimate Mental Fitness Programme
by Jack Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life!, 16 Sept. 2006
This is the first book on positive thinking that I read in 2000. I came home from holiday and immediately booked myself on the first course Jack was doing next.

The book definately got me on the right track and changed my life. You feel very proud when someone tells you that you have changed their lives for the better. Jack can be very proud of this book! In my opinion this book and any life changing book is VERY valuable. Worth way beyond the few pounds the book costs. Great value for money.

Read this book only if you want to; learn GREAT lessons or have a GREAT life!

'Winning Mentality- 7 Mind Techniques used by Winners'

Lifes Little Instruction Book: 511 Suggestions, Observations, and Reminders on How to Live a Happy and Rewarding Life (Life's Little Instruction Books)
by H.Jackson Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Little gem!, 16 Sept. 2006
Very useful, very enjoyable and very quick to read! Any time you are waiting on the phone, or in the car or anytime you can open at any random page and quickly read a gem that could improve your day! This book is full of some great quotes. Over the years a few quotes have changed my life. I strongly believe great quotes are very powerful and very memorable. I include many great quotes in my own book (from myself and others) and I have included my favourite quote from this book "Don't say you don't have enough time. You have the same number of hours per day as Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson and Albert Einstein."

A great quote. A great book. A great buy.

Page: 1 | 2