Profile for Andy Clift > Reviews

Content by Andy Clift
Top Reviewer Ranking: 411

Andy Clift (Bromley Kent UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BMW Motorsports Men's Cap blue blue Size:ONE SIZE
BMW Motorsports Men's Cap blue blue Size:ONE SIZE
Offered by The Gift Cellar

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Small, 28 April 2016
Quite well made and a reasonable price but designed for small heads. The adjustment allows for a large diameter head but the cap is too shallow for a secure fit. I bought it to wear in my open car but it is impractical as it comes off too easily. It's a shame that a BMW hat cannot be worn when driving my BMW!!

Universal Detachable Sun Shade / Camera Hood & Screen Protector for 3.0 inch LCD Screens - Works with Canon EOS 1200D , 700D , 7D , 6D / Nikon D3200 , D3300 , D7100 & More - by ENHANCE
Offered by Accessory Genie

4.0 out of 5 stars God shade. Poor adhesive for fitting., 28 April 2016
I have had a Samsung camera for a few years which has had very little use for one reason. It is almost impossible to see anything on the screen in daylight so out comes my trusty DSLR which has a proper viewfinder. A shame really as the Samsung is quite a good camera. In order to get some use out of it this shade seemed a good idea.

The camera has not had a lot of use since but the frame does work quite well. In normal light I can now make out what I am pointing the camera at. Folded it is quite neat adding little to the bulk of the camera and, if necessary, it is easily removed leaving just a thin mounting frame around the screen. When needed it is quick to fit and flips open in a second.

I have dropped one star as the adhesive on the frame is not that good. Having read other reviews which criticised the adhesive I was very careful about cleaning the screen surround before applying and left the camera for 24 hours before fitting the shade. I still found the frame came away from the camera very easily. After a few unsuccessful attempts to get the frame to stick I laid the camera on its back and placed a weight on the lens and left it for a week. This seems to have done the job although the camera has not had a lot of use since.

Pearl PWN492 Blade Fuse Extractor Standard
Pearl PWN492 Blade Fuse Extractor Standard

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to., 28 April 2016
The fuse box on my BMW z3 has a nice little fuse puller in its lid. The snag is it falls out of your hand and drops somewhere totally inaccessible under the bonnet. Enter this little item. I am really struggling to make this review more than one sentence. It does the job of lifting and fitting the fuses and seems to be exactly the same as the BMW original. At least it fits on the bracket in the fuse box.

System-S 30 cm 2 x high speed 30-Pin charging twice as fast cable cord double speed for iPhone iPad and iPod
Offered by System-S (AGB/Widerruf/Rechnung inkl. MwSt.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 18 April 2016
Very simple review. It does not work.

DROK® Auto Regular Fuse ATO ATC ATM Add-a-Circuit Kit Blade Fuses Assorment TAP Holder for Car Motorbike Atm Auto with 10 Pieces (2A, 3A, 5A, 7.5A, 10A, 15A, 20A, 25A, 30A, 40A)
Offered by DEOK

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic Little Device, 18 April 2016
My experience of adding electrical items to a car normally involved either additional wires run from the battery or splice into an existing circuit, both of course with in line fuses added to the new cable. Having just used one of these little beauties I wish I had discovered them years ago.

My requirement this time was slightly unusual as i did not actually need a new power feed. I had just bought a new car (well new to me) and discovered the cigarette lighter socket was powered all the time, not ignition controlled, For me this was a nuisance as I use the socket for satnav and dash cam and after a couple of instances of getting in the car to find them both still on from the night before as I had forgotten to pull the plug decided that is must change.

First thought was a new socket from an ignition controls source which would have meant pulling the dash out to find cables. Then I thought of a much simpler solution.

1. Open bonnet and locate fuse box

2. Check manual to find a fuse which is ignition controlled and the cigarette light fuse.

3 Remove ignition controlled fuse, fit this little beauty in its place.

4 Remove cigarette lighter fuse.

5. Find small in line spade connector which has same size or slightly smaller spade as the fuse contacts.

6 Fit short length of cable to spade connector and "plug" it in to output side of cigarettes lighter fuse socket.

7 Plug other end of cable into end of adapter cable.

My cigarette lighter socket is now ignition controlled with no extra cables, no spliced cables and I think it took longer to type than it did to do it. The only thing to be careful about is that this device sticks up above the other fuses in the box so it could be a problem refitting the lid. Fortunately on my box the lid had some extra height as it was fitted with brackets to take spade fuses. Removing the spare above the device allowed the lid to be refitted.

The final plus is that if I no longer need the power source or want to change things back to factory standard it is the work of about 2 minutes to open the bonnet , remove the device and put the fuses back in their sockets.

Garmin nuviCam 6 inch Sat Nav with Built-in Dash Cam
Garmin nuviCam 6 inch Sat Nav with Built-in Dash Cam

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition to Garmin range, 15 April 2016
I have been a satnav user from the time they just showed a little line on a blank screen together with co-ordinates and were horrendously expensive. Since then I have had satnavs on every vehicle I have had regular use of including cars, motorcycles and trucks. I am also a mountain leader and although I love maps have used a handheld satnav with Ordnance survey maps with great success . Finally, of course, I have used various satnav apps on my phone.

These days I have a satnav fitted to my car, another on my motorcycle, a handheld, a couple of spares in a drawer plus the one I gave my son and my wife's in her car and on her motorcycle. Although all the different makes and apps I have used get me to my destination all those in us today are Garmin because my long experience has shown me that they do the job well, the Windows and Mac routes planning apps are excellent if little hard to learn and the backup from Garmin UK has always been superb.

Now to the Nuvicam. It was a bit of an impulse buy after I "acquired" a little German roadster. Since my wife had a 2 year fight to prove her car accident was the other guys fault we have had dash cams on our vehicles but the little roadster is seriously short of screen real estate and place to put cigarette socket splitters for cables. Being able to run both satnav and dash cam from one socket with only one lump on the screen seemed like a really good idea.

Overall the Nuvicam has been a good buy. Installation was a problem at first as I am not keen on lumps stuck on the screen and prefer to mount my satnavs on the front or top of the dash. This was not an option with this unit as it needs to be close to the screen for a decent camera image. Initially that was a problem as no matter how I fitted the bracket to the screen I could not get the satnav upright. After resorting to fitting it to an old mount (all Garmins use the same ball on the mount) I discovered the well hidden hinge on he supplied mount so went back to that and it has proved to be neat and effective. It does take up a lot of my small screen but the extra distance away from me plus the extra size does mean that I can focus on it without reading glasses and its always good to find a plus. Also, of course, no extra screen needed for the dash cam or problems running cables for it.

The long bonnet on my car and the need to mount the device as near the bottom of the screen as possible resulted in about a third of the satnav image being bonnet. It is a shame that Garmin fitted a camera that can be adjusted left and right in relation to the satnav but not up and down. In practice is is not a real problem, just a little annoying. The camera gives a good wide view of the road and moving the camera up to avoid the bonnet would just show more sky.

Connecting to power was straight forward but as with my last couple of Garmins the cable is also the aerial for the traffic data. As this one is a DAB unit it is a little more involved as the cable is much heavier than normal and has a connector block near the satnav end which a second aerial cable plugs in to. There are also notes in the instructions suggesting the cable should not be laying on the car floor etc. and shows particular ways to run the extension aerial around the screen. I left the extension in the garage and just plugged the cable into the cigarette socket with the spare tucked under the dash and the traffic warnings work perfectly. Maybe I am lucky with a good signal around London but when touring around Europe there is little DAB and I am not so concerned about getting warnings so I am happy to leave the installation as it is.

In use it is a great little satnav. As my car is a soft top I do need to remove it from its magnetic mount when I park so it does not always go back in exactly the same position. When it is turned on it asks for confirmation that the camera is aimed correctly and a one button press gives a quick view ahead but normally the view is OK. As I have found for many years in numerous countries the navigation is very good and the relatively recent addition of the little window that opens at the side showing close up of road layout and suggested lane on complex junctions has been a real plus on some involved junctions, particularly in Belgium. Sometimes when I am in areas that I know it will come up with a route that I know that I can improve on but in reality the routes suggested are always practical and would be little different in time to my own although local knowledge will often beat a software program. This is not a Garmin problem but affects all satnavs.

I am not keen on the changes Garmin made to the interface a few years back which has relegated items I use a lot such as Favourites and History to tiny little buttons and given prominence to things I consider as minor such as Junctions and All Restaurants. In all my years of use I have never needed to navigate to a particular junction or urgently needed to find a restaurant but I guess anyone new to a Garmin will find it OK as they are not having to relearn.

The collision and lane wandering warnings are I think a bit of a work in progress and gimmick. The collision warnings do work but the problem with driving in London traffic is they work too well. On the M25 it is pinging away all the time although I am no closer to the vehicle in front than anyone else. The lane warnings depend on good clear white lane markings and even then are not reliable. A few weeks back I hired a Renault in Belgium that had a similar system and that did not work any better although the Renault did have a reversing camera similar to the add on that can be purchased for the Garmin. That I liked so may well add one to the roadster.

The final gimmick is the change from map to front view as you reach your destination with little arrows showing where you should be going. That is only as good as the accuraccy of the mapping data and does not really work very well. A good example is my home address. As the houses in the road vary in plot size and are very unevenly spaced my door number is a long way away from where Garmin guesses it is so it shows me a destination about 100 metres away. On my place of work is suggests the wrong side of the road. No big deal as I cannot imagine any situation where I would need to us this gimmick

Minor note. The battery life is poor but I don't really think that is a big deal. It's size means it is unlikely to be used as a pedestrian device so the battery is only really needed to set a route while stationary with the engine off.

Would I recommend it. Yes I would. I don't think there are any bad satnavs these days but my experience with Garmin is good and for travelling around Europe I have found the mapping excellent, even in places like Bosnia it is really accurate. I have experience with Garmin replacing satnavs of mine that have developed a fault way outside the warranty time. They have even replaced one that I broke by dropping free of charge. If you have a query you can talk to someone knowledgeable on the phone and they respond to emails within a reasonable time.

So far I have not mentioned Bluetooth or voice recognition. The bluetooth work with my iPhone but as with earlier Garmins I have used Bluetooth with it never seems to connect 100% of the time and as I have Bluetooth on my car stereo I don't bother with it on the satnav any more. The Voice recognition is OK but it needs a reasonably quiet environment so by the time I have turned the radio down, shut the windows and had a couple of tries to get it to understand it's easier to just press buttons.

Final note. The maps on your satnav can be updated regularly, normally at no charge, but how many people have road atlases in their glove boxes that have dates starting with 19. No truck has ever got stuck in a back road due to a satnav. Atlases don't show road width either. It the guy holding the wheel that does it. After many years of extensive use I still know I have to look and think before taking a suggested turn. If I am unsure I don't turn and then the satnav will automatically reroute. And why have I dropped one star. A little up and down movement on the camera would have been nice and I preferred the earlier Garmin software interface.

The Assassin: Isaac Bell #8 (Isaac Bell Series)
The Assassin: Isaac Bell #8 (Isaac Bell Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but Sequence is wrong., 12 April 2016
The Isaac Bell books are always a good read, particularly in painting a picture of early 20th century USA. My only gripe is that the book series seems to have become somewhat twisted. In earlier books Isaac Bell was the happily married Chief Investigator. In this book (and the next) he has gone back to being single and eyeing the ladies and is no longer Chief. Confusing and also the loss of his wife in the stories has removed the insight into the early motion picture industry.

Really this should be 2 or 3 in the sequence, not 8.

Pair Standard GB Euro Number Plates 100% MOT Compliant - Car / Van
Pair Standard GB Euro Number Plates 100% MOT Compliant - Car / Van
Offered by E2 TRADE

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, 8 April 2016
My positive reviews keep getting rejected and I can't work out why. To keep it simple I have bought many plates online and these are the best - and cheapest

iPhone 6s Plus Screen Protector, JETech® 2-Pack [3D Touch Compatible] Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector Film for Apple iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6s Plus Newest Model 5.5
Offered by JEDirect UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Plastic Protectors, 1 April 2016
I have used a few of the thin plastic screen protectors and developed a system for fitting them which avoids the dreaded air bubbles. This is the first time I have tried a rigid glass protector. There were two protectors supplied together with instructions on fitting but I thought the way I have developed for fitting was better so used that. The result was a good easy installation with no air bubbles. The protector has proved to be easy to clean, resists damage and gives a nice easy glide surface on the phone. First impression is that these are better than the plastic ones.

Forget the instructions and fit as follows.

- Clean the phone screen very carefully. I use a little washing up liquid, rinse, dry and then polish with the supplied cloth
- Place the protector on the phone and hold in position with a couple of elastic bands
- Slide he protector until it is positioned in exactly the right place and then stick it down along one long edge with sticky tape
- Optional step. Go to bathroom and run shower until it is steamy. This helps to settle dust in the air.
- Remove the elastic bands and lift the screen protector using the sticky tape as a hinge.
- Remove the INSIDE protective film for the protector and carefully hinge it back into position
- Rub the surface to remove bubbles which is easier than with the plastic protectors.
- Remove the outer protective film and the sticky tape.

Sourcingbay® 7" Digital TFT-LED Color Receiver Car/PC Monitor HDMI/VGA/AV Input display.
Offered by Convenientrade

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money monitor, 1 April 2016
This was purchased as a monitor for my Annke CCTV system.

The monitor seems well made for the price with one exception which I will come back to. There are sockets for power, HDMI, VGA and AV and buttons on the front for power and input selection. There is a small remote control which is easier to use than the front buttons and allows setting up colour, resolution, etc. An adjustable stand is provided plus a selection of leads and a mains adapter.

The monitor itself is impressive, particularly considering the low price. The image is clear and sharp with good colour with plenty of adjustment for brightness and contrast. It is quick to fire up when turned on on and is unobtrusive on the corner of my desk. The only weakness is the fitting for the stand. A thin steel strip is screwed the back and bottom of the monitor. This provides a slot on the back for a stand which is not supplied and a standard camera 1/4 inch thread on the bottom for the stand which is supplied. The design failure is that there are no screws holding the strip to the monitor which are in the area of the 1/4 inch thread. This means that when adjusting the angle of the screen it is easy to bend the strip away from the base of the monitor - and not so easy to bend it back.

The stand itself is basic but it works. The base is purposely made of thin material as the idea is to bend it to the contours of a car dashboard and use the supplied shaped double sided tape to hold it in place. Ir's OK as a table stand but I think I will change it for a small camera table tripod.

Finally the cables. I have used both the HDMI and VGA. Both result in a good image on the monitor but the VGA makes poor contact with the connected device resulting in interference. I am not sure if this is a problem on the socket on my cctv or the plug on the lead as I now use the hdmi anyway.

Now for star rating. Overall it does what I bought it for but the design of the 1/4 inch socket is a design fault. The remote, charger and hdmi leads all do their job as does the stand although its a bit flimsy. The problem with the vga cable may be the cctv socket. value for money is good but the poor design of the 1/4 i inch socket, especially for something that could be knocked about on a car dash is enough to drop one star.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20