Profile for A. D. Clift > Reviews

Content by A. D. Clift

A. D. Clift (Bromley Kent UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Solid Brass 10.5" x 3" Victorian Gravity Letter Plate
Solid Brass 10.5" x 3" Victorian Gravity Letter Plate

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Made So Hard To Fit, 18 Sep 2014
For the price it seemed OK. It looks good but lots of light showing through so needs an internal flap to keep the draughts out. That would not be enough to dump three stars but after marking out and drilling the holes in the door I found that the screw threads in the flap had been machined out of square so the studding screwed in at an angle. This made it impossible to fit the flap to the door with studding in place as the ends were too close together or get the studding threads to start if the flap was placed in position first.

I would have sent the flap back but now I had the holes in the door I needed to do something so had to enlarge the holes and use washers on the studding in order to fit the flap.

Not happy having to do this on our new front door.

Xavax 00110968 Armoured Intake Hose 2 m
Xavax 00110968 Armoured Intake Hose 2 m

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouse Proof, 18 Sep 2014
I bought one of these after being woken in the night for the second time to the sound of running water and hours of clearing up to find mice had bitten through the dishwasher hose. When I was woken for the third time to discover this hose had beaten them so they bit through the washing machine hose instead I bought a second armoured hose. These hoses together with lots of mouse poison have solved the problem.

Also I like being able to tighten the hoses properly with a spanner as with our very high mains water pressure I have never found the instructions on the normal plastic hoses to "hand tighten only" very satisfactory.

The only small problem with these hoses is that they have zero ability to twist which can make it a little difficult to for them to be fitted to a machine pulled out from under a work surface while ensuring there is no strain on the hose once the machine has been pushed back in place.

ERA 40mm Maximum Security BS Nightlatch - Brass Effect Body
ERA 40mm Maximum Security BS Nightlatch - Brass Effect Body

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Lock -Poor Fitting Instructions, 18 Sep 2014
I like the lock but a big problem with the fitting instructions.

The lock comes with a template to show where the holes need to be drilled and an instruction sheet. In order to ensure the holes go squarely through the door the instructions suggest marking on each side of the door and drilling to the centre.

I am a qualified mechanical engineer so accurate measuring and machining is hardly a difficult task so rather than sticking the paper template on each side of the door and trying to ensure it was in the correct place on each side I carefully measured on each side using an engineers rule and square. My hole positions were then checked against the template and checked by my brother-in-law.

After drilling I was surprised to find that I could not fit the lock barrel as the two posts that extend into the holes drilled in the lock seemed to far apart. Checked everything as I was sure I had not made an error and found that the template showed the holes to be 52 mm centres, my holes were correct at 52 mm centres but the lock holes were at 56 mm centres.

Some work with a Dremel stretched the holes to fit and fortunately the error is covered by the lock itself but this sort of mistake by the maker should not happen. It would also have been useful if dimensions were shown on the template, preferably the correct ones. Many years back it was drummed into me that all dimensions should be shown on drawings as reliance on measuring leads to errors as there is no guarantee that a drawing copy is exactly the correct size.

Once fitted the lock looks smart and closes with a satisfying clunk. As with another review it was quite hard to get the bar from the barrel into the lock when fitting but this is a common problem with this type of lock and is fiddly rather than a fault. ``Holding th bar in place with a thin engineers rule easily solved the problem.

Pleaser  EU-SEDUCE-420 Pumps Womens  Black Schwarz (Blk pat) Size: 12(45 EU)
Pleaser EU-SEDUCE-420 Pumps Womens Black Schwarz (Blk pat) Size: 12(45 EU)

5.0 out of 5 stars good value, 16 Sep 2014
other than being rather large these are good value

QF13CS01 Saxton Blades Case Set Dewalt Stanley Black & Decker Oscillating Multitool
Offered by saxton trading

4.0 out of 5 stars A Lot Cheaper than DeWalt, 29 Aug 2014
I bought these to go with my new DeWalt Multi-tool and they seem to be as good as the blades that came with the tool and are a lot cheaper than DeWalt blades.

The only slightly negative comment is that I should have bought the bare blades as the aluminium box is a pretty pointless addition. OK it stores the blades but takes up too much space and does not offer storage for any additional blades. Also the blades fit too tightly and need levering out with a screwdriver.

I have dropped one star simply because the box is a poor idea. Just buy the blades.

Dewalt DCS355N-XJ 18V Li-Ion Cordless Brushless Oscillating Multi-Tool with 29 Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Even More Useful Than my Power Drill, 29 Aug 2014
Years back I saw the Fein multi-tool and although it seemed like a good idea I could not identify enough of a need to justify the price. Now every manufacturer seems to have a version but I have a good experience of DeWalt and already have DeWalt XR batteries and charger so buying this item as a bare unit excluding battery and charger (and another useless kit box) made a lot of sense - as well as saving a lot of cash.

When I bought it I had no particular use in mind, it just seemed a useful addition to my DIY kit. In practice it has proved the most useful power tool I have.

The first real job was to fix the door that jammed on the carpet. This job had been put off as I needed to remove the door, take it down five flights of stairs, set it up on a couple of saw horses, etc. etc. etc. It therefore seemed like a good test for the multitool. I needed to take about 10mm off the door so I just rested a strip of 10mm thick wood against the door, fitted the tool with a wood cutting blade and ran the blade along the door on top of the wood. It does not cut very fast and I had to repeat the exercise on each side of the door as the tool would not cut deep enough but inside about 10 minutes the job was done including fitting a delta sanding pad to clean up the cut and without taking the door from the frame.

It has since been used to cut out a couple of wall tiles so I could fit a smaller cooker socket, trimmed some fence panels in situ, scraped excess adhesive from wood joints, cut and levelled expanding foam used to fill a wall cavity and sliced through hot melt glue joints. And I have only had it about three weeks.

If I had to buy this complete with batteries and charger I think it would have been hard to justify the price but as a bare unit it made sense. Highly recommended.

I should not finish on a minus but one it is the availability of cutters. Now these tools have become popular the major DIY chains have stocks of basic tools. Unfortunately these tools will not fit the very quick and clever DeWalt quick Change system. The tool does come with a screw and washer which is used to clamp other tools in place but my experience using this is poor. This is not enough of a minus to drop a star but it does mean that a little forward planing is needed to ensure required tools are mail ordered before starting a job. Also DeWalt cutters are expensive but companies such as Saxon have cutters to fit which seem to work as well as DeWalt but cost a lot less.

Finally a comment on one review I read which marked this tool down as the trigger was easy to activate when putting the tool down or changing cutters. I have never had a problem with putting the tool down and when changing cutters there is a lock button that prevents the tool starting and, of course, a completely fool proof and safe solution is just remove the battery.

Pebble Steel Smart Watch - Brushed Stainless Steel
Pebble Steel Smart Watch - Brushed Stainless Steel
Offered by Roobix Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars After a week of use I am very pleased with this watch, 24 July 2014
After a week of use I am very pleased with this watch. It was very easy to set up and link to my iPhone. I can have a nice big digital time read out that I can see without glasses and it vibrates on any phone "notification" so it reacts to phone calls, text messages, emails, alarms and news flashes showing enough info for me to see whether I need to get my phone out.

Perfect for situations where phone audio needs to be turned off and it is a lot more discreet to check a watch face than get a phone out.

If I had any criticism it would be that I would like the vibration to either be a little longer or slightly more aggressive as it is easy to miss if one's hands are being used at the time. I also found that using the supplied leather strap tended to damp the vibration and it is better with the bracelet - which I prefer anyway.

I have tried a few of the apps and although they seem to work Ok there is a limit to what is practical on a tiny monochrome display so many are just gimmicks, I do like one I found that makes my phone beep if I can't find it though.

Transcend 16GB DrivePro 200 Car Video Recorder with Built-In Wi-Fi
Transcend 16GB DrivePro 200 Car Video Recorder with Built-In Wi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars Does What It is Supposed To., 24 July 2014
My requirements for a dash cam was decent quality video, discreet fitting and sensible price. This camera ticked all the boxes. The tiny stick on mount is, for me, a vast improvement on having a huge rubber sucker stuck on the screen. The camera is hardly noticeable next to the rear view mirror and there was plenty of connection lead to run around the screen and gently push under the screen surround. It is easy to slide the camera off the mount if necessary and as the power socket is stand mini USB it is easy to plug into a computer to view recordings. The recordings play on both my iMac and Windows computers without any special software needed.

This camera does not have any clever GPS options but I often wonder why it makes any sense to spend over double to have the camera tell me where I had a collision. I cannot envisage any situation where the location of the incident would be in dispute and I would need GPS coordinates. Speed recording may work against me so I am happy to not have that !! All I need is proof that it was the other guy at fault and not me and this camera would show that.

The wi-fi option makes it easy to set up the camera but I did need to turn down the collision detection as I found a little spirited cornering was enough to trigger it on the standard setting.

Sealey Tyre Inflator with Clip-on Connector
Sealey Tyre Inflator with Clip-on Connector
Offered by Cooks of Bedford ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Price., 24 July 2014
First impression is that this is a good product for the price. I replaced the screw on connector with a quick connect to match my compressor and it works as intended. The tyre connector works with no leaks and the gauge is accurate enough to get close to the right pressure so I don't have to keep removing it to check with my proper tyre gauge,

I noted one review that marked it down as the rubber hose perished after a year,. Realistically it is a cheap connector/gauge and if it lasts a year I will be very happy with it.

[+Screen Film][360° PROTECTION] Spigen Apple iPhone 5S Case Slim [Ultra Fit] [Crystal Shell] Premium *Japanese* Screen Protector Included + All Around Protection Premium Clear Hard Case - ECO-Friendly Packaging - Slim Case for iPhone 5S / 5 - Crystal Shell (SGP10647)
Offered by Spigen UK Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Having decided on which colour finish I wanted for my ..., 24 July 2014
Having decided on which colour finish I wanted for my iPhone it seemed a shame to then cover it with a completely different coloured case. This case protects the phone perfectly, it seems well made and my phone looks exactly the same as it did before I fitted it, just very slightly bigger. The screen protector even went on without bubbles and it was worth the price for that alone.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15