Profile for Andrew Gibbs > Reviews

Content by Andrew Gibbs

Andrew Gibbs (United Kingdom)

New View
New View

5.0 out of 5 stars lasting enjoyment, 24 May 2016
This review is from: New View (Audio CD)
Bought somewhat on a whim because I liked the snippets that came from a recommendation. But then it almost instantly became my favourtie album of the moment, and still many months later I still find myself drawn back to it - I love the voice, the words, the sound, everything. Sorry if this is not a very helpful review as I don't normally do them, but this albums needs another 5 star!

Liqoo? 10x 5W G9 LED Lamp Light Bulb Spotlights AC 220-240V 360 Degrees Beam Angle 2835 SMD Warm White or White Not Dimmable (5W 300-320 Lumen Equivalent 30W)

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed!, 5 Oct. 2015
Very impressed with the brightness from such a small size as they are possibly even a little brighter than the halogens I had previously. However even those these are described as 'warm white' the colour is definitely whiter than either halogen or a couple of previous LED (those had low lumens, but exact match of colour) - closer to fluorescents than incandescents, but not unpleasant.
I cannot comment on long-term reliability but at least all the ones I've fitted have worked and are still running a couple of days later!

Eco-Nique Natural Hemp Brown Case Cover for 6-inch Amazon Kindle 3/Global Wireless - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure to hold, 6 Oct. 2010
I suspect many users fall into the same category as me of wanting a case for their new kindle but resisting the default Amazon offerings - I'm sure they are fine, but still £30 for two flaps of leather sounds like robbery! This one looked like a nice alternative (even if not that much less cash) so I ordered it, and was very pleased with what I received. The kindle fits perfectly, all buttons and screen are fully accessible, and there are even a couple of cutouts for the speakers should you use them. The material feels soft to the touch and is very nice to hold (more 'grippy' than leather, and a lot better than a naked kindle which to my mind is too thin and hard, especially if held one-handed). It seems well made and although too early to say for sure I have reasonable confidence it won't fall apart or look scruffy any time soon, and also that if dropped in this case that the kindle would survive. I'd buy this again without hesitation.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Digital Camera [8MP 7xOptical]
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Digital Camera [8MP 7xOptical]

5.0 out of 5 stars takes very good pictures!, 5 Jan. 2004
Have taken a couple of hundred photos over the holiday period and have been very happy with the camera! First impressions are that it is big, but this is soon forgotten about as it is so comfortable to hold and obviously very well built. Having a manual zoom is the first real pleasure as it makes framing your picture so much easier than motor operated zooms - I was surprised at the difference this makes.
The operation is quite intuitive, so far I've only dipped into the manual for a couple of questions rather than needing to read it cover to cover (I'm not a previous Sony user either). There is a good 'fully auto' mode, but the various manual (P,A,S,M) modes are no more difficult to use. The design makes it very easy to check, for example, exposure using the on-screen histogram, then adjust with the ev button and command wheel - there is a button for most things so no need to go searching through menus to make a change. Finally the camera 'feels fast' - things happen pretty smartly, shutter lag is small, etc. This means that candid pictures of children and animals actually happen when intended!
But most importantly I've taken some (IMHO) very fine pictures! Exposure and colour are superb, and of course with 8M pixels and a good lens the resolution is also spot on. All the Sony toys (video mode, nightshot, laser focus assist, etc) are just tasty icing on the cake of a very capable camera.
Downsides: if you look at the various talk forums you will see much mention of chromatic abberations and noise, and indeed I do see these effects if I blow up certain photos on screen to 200%! However this has certainly not ruined any of my photos on paper, and that is without any manipulations in photoshop or whatever. Now that the professional reviews are starting to appear (e.g. luminous landscape, steves digicams, dcresource etc) I would assume that these phenomena will be put into perspective - I don't have the technical background to comment. On a minor note I also miss the IR remote control I had with my Olympus, which seems a cheap ommision from Sony on a camera this price.
In summary: If I dropped this one off a cliff I'd be very upset, and then I'd buy exactly the same again.