Profile for Michelle M. > Reviews

Michelle M.

ORANGE GENUINE LEATHER 35cm TOTE HANDBAG GIFT BOXED
ORANGE GENUINE LEATHER 35cm TOTE HANDBAG GIFT BOXED

5.0 out of 5 stars Good seller, good value product., 14 Jun. 2016
Beautiful colour, leather offers good value for money and the service is A1. This seller is fast and responsive to queries, and very helpful. I would recommend her.

The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson
The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson
by Emily Dickinson

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as described - different edition, 22 Dec. 2015
Not as described - different edition
I ordered this paperback edition and was surprised to see when it arrives that it was an Amazon in-house edition. It is edited by 'two friends': Mabel Loomis Todd and T. W. Higginson, not the editor claimed on the description. There are no notes, just a very short preface.

This is also a huge book - not one to hold comfortably in hand. Very disappointing - back it goes.

Lee Women's Scarlett Skinny Jeans, Green Sapphire, W27/L31
Lee Women's Scarlett Skinny Jeans, Green Sapphire, W27/L31

5.0 out of 5 stars My perfect pair of jeans!, 17 Jun. 2014
I've long been searching for the perfect pair of darker coloured skinny jeans, and thanks to Amazon's excellent free postage/returns deal was able to whittle a selection of styles down to this pair.
The quality is excellent and the fit just right. Lee tend to come up a bit small, so I went for a 28" waist (am often 27"). I'm only 5'2", so the 31" leg was perfect for me. These jeans barely bag at all, so it's worth buying them snug but not too much so otherwise you'll be permanently uncomfortable. If it's any help, I'm more of a straight figure than hourglass or pear, and I think that might be a factor in why these fit so well. Colourwise, the shade and markings are really flattering - even my husband noticed and commented (not usual!). Pairs I tried the same size but with an even colour (no shadings/markings) were awful!
I ended up keeping 2 out of 3 pairs of these. All were the same size, but manufacturers have a .5 cm tolerance + or - on all measurements and this really makes a difference - one pair were just too tight and had to go back.
Hope this helps anyone out there hunting for the perfect jeans - they are out there!

The Pagan Lord (The Last Kingdom Series, Book 7) (The Warrior Chronicles/Saxon Stories)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great story from Bernard Cornwell, 30 Oct. 2013
Bernard Cornwell is the master of the historical novel and this is another cracking read in this series. It was a bit formulaic in that it used many of the same story lines used in previous books in this series but it was, nonetheless an un-put-downable book.

Tender is the Night
Tender is the Night

4.0 out of 5 stars Words missing in the Kindle version of this book!!! :-(, 19 Aug. 2012
I was delighted to purchase a Kindle version of this book for less than £1. However, I'm currently 27% of the way through it, and have encountered 3 sentences with the verb missing - there's just a large space and then an 'ed' suffix. This is hugely frustrating, especially when it occurs at key moments. The odd typo I can cope with, but this repeating problem is actually making me consider buying a paper copy of the book instead, as it clearly isn't a one-off error you can forget about. I'm starting to dread when the next one will happen.
Come on Amazon, surely you can do better than this.

Come Back, Lucy (Puffin Books)
Come Back, Lucy (Puffin Books)
by Pamela Sykes

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb ghost story, 27 Mar. 2010
I first read this book as a child, and immediately loved it. Orphaned Lucy feels very much the outsider when she goes to stay with her cousins in their Victorian home. She is amazed to find herself sometimes travelling back in time to befriend Alice, a girl of her own age who occupied the house in Victorian times. It takes her a while to discover how she manages to do this, which is lucky, as it soon becomes clear that Alice is not the friend she at first appears to be. The atmosphere, characterisation and suspense in this book are superb. I've re-read it and loved it just as much as an adult, and still find the climax of the story makes me hold my breath in suspense! I highly recommend it. It should definitely be re-published!

Buffalo LinkStation Live 1TB MultiMedia Network Attached Storage with Built-In BitTorrent Client

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this if you use or plan to use Windows 7, 20 Jan. 2010
I bought this device to use on my home network. Lots of people seem to think they're great so thought I'd be getting a good device. However, I now realise that - along with lots of other NAS devices - this one won't work with Windows 7. Microsoft have changed the security model with Windows 7 and most Linux based NAS devices such as this just won't work without an update. Buffalo support were OK and suggested a firmware update. Their site doesn't say this update will fix the problem and I couldn't apply it anyway! I eventually sent it back for a refund - it's no use to me. I'm sure it's fine with non-Windows 7 installations - but steer clear of devices that don't state they are Windows 7 compatible.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2010 10:43 PM GMT

Lenovo IdeaPad S12 12 inch netbook (Intel Atom N270 1.60GHz, FSB 533MHz, 2Gb, 320Gb, 6 cell battery, webcam, BT, Win 7 HP (Black))

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! One of my best buys., 13 Jan. 2010
I'm a keen user of computers and wanted a lightweight machine for using around the house to browse the net, listen to the radio and browsing my media collection (mostly photos). Most of the machines I looked at had a fatal flaw in some way - poor processor, small screen, little memory, Windows XP. I wanted a machine that would be capable of doing most day to day things, handling modern media, connecting to my wireless network, a large screen and a decent amount of memory. I also wanted an up-to-date OS and not the castrated beginner version of Windows 7 either. OK, this machine is more expensive than the other netbooks it's up against but it is worth every penny! I love the looks, it's well built, the battery lasts a reasonable time (about 5+ hours), and it does everything I've asked it too so far.

If you want a machine you'll actually want to use and you can affors the price tag this is a great machine. Buy with confidence.

Uncommon Arrangements: Seven Marriages in Literary London 1910 -1939
Uncommon Arrangements: Seven Marriages in Literary London 1910 -1939
by Katie Roiphe

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible, beautiful writing - fascinating., 19 Nov. 2009
This is a terrrific book. Informative and also gossipy, intelligent and insightful, I found this fascinating. Despite the title, which sounds perhaps a bit literary, I didn't want to put this book down and was pretty much glued to it. To see the human side of people like Katherine Mansfield and Vanessa Bell was most intriguing. I highly recommend it - a good stocking filler for Christmas!

The Girl On The Landing
The Girl On The Landing
by Paul Torday

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping!, 18 Oct. 2009
I was entranced by this novel from the opening few pages. It seems to cross genres and defy the reader's expectations at every opportunity - just as you think you know what's going on, you find that you really don't have it all worked out. A cross between a thriller and a ghost story, it charts the lives of Michael and his wife as Michael decides to stop taking his medication, which has significantly dampened his personality. The chapters roughly alternate between the two characters, and the tension rarely slips - although one or two small parts set in Michael's club were slightly tedious. Very different from 'Salmon Fishing', this book is one to save for a treat - you'll want to read it at a gulp. I found myself resenting having to go to work as I didn't want to put it down!