Profile for Jamie Orchison > Reviews

Content by Jamie Orchison

Jamie Orchison (Manchester, UK)

Absolution
Absolution
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars I have been Absolved, 11 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Absolution (Audio CD)
I have a soft spot for Muse in general, so I'm trying hard to keep this review as neutral as possible.

Muse's 2003 album Absolution is an outstanding work of Rock that fuses excellent musicianship with great lyrics to create something that is easy on the ears, but can be explored as deeply as you're willing to go.

Tracks that stick out to me on the album are, of course:

Hysteria - An exquisitely catchy and fast bass riff and ambiguous lyrics let you make of it what you want. "Give me your heart and your soul."

Stockholm Syndrome - Excellent music and nice lyrics make for an amazing song. "This is the last time I'll forget you. I wish I could."

Time Is Running Out - Again, Chris Wolstenholme comes into his own on the bass during the intro and throughout the entire song. "You will be the death of me."

Matt Bellamy's vocals are spectacular as always and Dom Howard gives all of the songs a perfect drum track.

Sometimes it's hard to believe it's only a trio of people.

Uni Kuru Toga, Silver Barrel Mechanical Pencil
Uni Kuru Toga, Silver Barrel Mechanical Pencil

5.0 out of 5 stars The best mechanical pencil I've ever used, 14 Jan. 2011
Pencil arrived quickly via Royal Mail (for once) and without bulky packaging. Yay!

The device itself looks quite complex due to the translucent grip, but it really isn't. Every time you press down on the paper, the 'Kuru Toga Engine' rotates the 'lead' a little bit, meaning after a bit of writing you have a uniform shape.

It came with three uni nano 0.5mm refill leads included which are great to use (see my other review) and seem to glide across the page really well. The pencil is comfortable to hold and and comes equipped with a rubber in the end. Removing this rubber exposes the hole used to feed in the 'leads. If you press on the end, the 'lead' extends a little with a satisfying click. Not a lot, a little; just enough.

At the end of the day this is a pencil. It's used (in my case) to draw lines and graphs. There's only so much a pencil can do, but this does it all. And it does it very well.

When this pencil expires, it will most likely be replaced with a more expensive fountain pen/mechanical pencil set which will do me well for many years. In the mean time, I have this.

Recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2011 5:46 PM BST

Pilot VPen Disposable Fountain Pen White Barrel 0.58 mm Tip - Black, Single Pen
Pilot VPen Disposable Fountain Pen White Barrel 0.58 mm Tip - Black, Single Pen

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent disposable., 14 Jan. 2011
Product arrived in 3 days - it looks like the Royal Mail is back to as normal as it can be. Minimally packaged sans shrink-wrap. Hooray!

The pen itself is a strange little thing. It's 13cm long with the cap, 11.5cm without. I have relatively large hands, and it isn't a problem to hold.

This is the first time I have ever written with a fountain pen and it seems to work really well. The ink is darker than my gel-ink pens that I usually use which is always good. Lines are clear without any skipping and my handwriting seems to have improved from a scrawl to something that is barely legible. It's also something a bit different, and hasn't gone un-noticed.

I have to say, as a first introduction to fountain pens this is very good. I think I'll indulge in a higher-end one one this runs out.

Recommended to anyone wanting a soft introduction to fountain pens.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2016 7:37 PM BST

Fortress
Fortress
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply outstanding, 5 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Fortress (Audio CD)
I am a great lover of this style of music, especially when extraordinary talent is fused with meaningful lyrics to generate the metaphorical complete package.

I love this album, it's one of the few that I can listen to time and time again and not get tired of it. Having never heard Kezia, I can't comment on how this album compares to it. But it is rather exquisite.

One thing to note, there is a hidden track before the first track (Bloodmeat) and as a result it proved problematic for me to rip. I did manage it, however. The track is apparently a piano instrumental by the guitarist and and is listen-able by rewinding the first track in a CD player.

To clarify, this is definitely Progressive Metal, too.

Yamaha YPT210 Portable Digital Keyboard
Yamaha YPT210 Portable Digital Keyboard

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent entry-level, budget keyboard., 31 Dec. 2010
Purchased for [...] delivered from [...] and I am very pleased with the service - product arrived the day after dispatch via DHL, although no tracking information was available on my order.

The device itself is a very nice bit of kit. 61-keys and it's Yamaha, so it's quality, too. I'm just starting to learn, so naturally, the whole thing is a bit intimidating but my experience so far has been a good one. I have but three small complaints:

1) Center C isn't really at the center, but is slightly to the left. This can't really be helped and is inherent to it being a 61-key, 5-octave + 1 keyboard.

2) The keys aren't touch sensitive - i.e. they don't make a louder noise when you hit them hard compared to just tapping it lightly. It would have been nice to see this implemented.

3) No pedal included. There is a port for one but it has to be purchased separately, which is a shame because pedals are quite an important part of piano.

Side notes) Comes with power adapter with both UK and European prong types, a similar style to those found on BlackBerry charging devices. Also comes with a sheet music stand.

That's about it really. A nice, simple, beginner's keyboard. It's up to me to put in the effort now.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Long Sleeve Fruit of the Loom Baseball T-Shirt - White / Navy XL
Long Sleeve Fruit of the Loom Baseball T-Shirt - White / Navy XL

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but not for very long., 31 Dec. 2010
Product finally arrived, late after the Royal Mail's Christmas shambles and I'm sad to say, I'm quite disappointed.

The material is quite thin and the seams are very, very weak. After some 20 hours of wear, the sewing in the sleeve is coming undone - I doubt it will last more than a week into the future.
Fluff sticks to the white fabric like a magnet and the dark fabric shows every single speck of dirt on it - and even collects fluff from the white.
It also shrunk slightly in the wash, even at a low temperature.

I'm saddened by the fact that Fruit of the Loom has become a vendor of poor quality goods.

On the bright(er) side, it looks nice. But that's about all the product has going for it. That and the price.

Supreme Commander - Gold Edition (PC DVD)
Supreme Commander - Gold Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by APE-GAMES

5.0 out of 5 stars A purchase made in time., 29 Dec. 2010
Before I begin, service from Amazon and GAMEZONE was perfect as usual, product arrived in excellent condition and quickly.

Now the game:

I adore this game. It is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best RTS I have ever played. It's as simple or as complex as you want to make it, the AI can be monstrous or child-like, depending on how you want it. It is the perfect strategy game.

It is true that it is quite an old game, but still requires a fairly high-spec computer to run well. I intend to buy a gaming laptop soon, and this game is the yardstick with which I will decide weather it is good enough for me to buy.

The package comes with two DVDs, Disc 1 being plain Supreme Commander and Disc 2 being the Forged Alliance expansion pack. The two serial codes are included on a sticker on the inside of the case.

As far as I am aware, this game is not available on Steam.

My recommendation? Buy it if you think you can run it well, or just buy it anyway and wait until you have gear good enough to run it. That's what I'm doing.

As I said, this is the best RTS ever created in my opinion. Patches are also available from various internet sources as THQ/GPG support is not exactly great.

Le Creuset Stoneware Mug, 350 ml - Volcanic
Le Creuset Stoneware Mug, 350 ml - Volcanic

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Volcanic., 29 Dec. 2010
The service from Amazon and Cooking Marvellous (a witty name, no?) was impeccable as always. My order was dispatched quickly and arrived promptly, but alas I wasn't in when it was delivered (on the estimated date) and so had to wait until the weekend to pick it up from the sorting office.

I had a peek at the item once it arrived to make sure it was intact and the colour I specified and sure enough it was.

Now the product itself:

My mother has always been a huge fan of Le Creuset products, however they tend to be on the expensive side. I purchased this as a Christmas present for her, and she adores it. According to her, drinks seem to stay warmer for longer and the inside of the mug is stain resistant. It also goes with her other Le Creuset items that are also in the Volcanic colour.

A well placed purchase, might even get another one for her next year!

Kingston Technology Micro SDHC 16 GB Memory Card - Standard Packaging
Kingston Technology Micro SDHC 16 GB Memory Card - Standard Packaging
Offered by Wowcamera

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, excellent service., 28 Oct. 2010
I purchased this product in favour of the SanDisk microSDHC 16GB Card purely because it happened to go up in price as I was about to purchase it. I do not regret my decision.

As you know, Kingston is a very reputable brand which has been in the memory business for many years and as such know exactly what they're doing.

My package arrived in two days using Royal Mail 2nd Class shipping and was surprised by the improvements in packaging. It came in a small, cardboard envelope with no bulky shrinkwrap. Good riddance to it, I say.

The card itself is in a small protective case, along with a microSD -> SD adapter, an unexpected but appreciated addition. (See customer images)

It was immediately recognised and formatted by my BlackBerry Curve 8520 with a usable capacity of 14.8GB. (See customer images)

It took 27m 59s to copy my 10.8GB worth of media to the card. This averages out at around 6.43MB/s write speed, which is amazing considering the card itself is smaller than my thumbnail.

I am very impressed with this card and indeed the seller. Would buy again and recommend to all!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2011 6:28 PM GMT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product., 26 Oct. 2010
What can I say? Before I bought this I thought "a case is a case, nothing more, nothing less". It seems I was wrong.

I have tried cheap silicone cases in the past but they were all of poor quality and ripped easily. This case is not like the rest. It is amazing.

The rubber is spread just right on the corners, thick enough to absorb the shock of a drop but thin enough so that the device (in my case an 8520) doesn't feel too bulky.

Bumps are embedded in the rubber to provide easy access to all the buttons on your device and there are several holes for headphones, USB cable/charger, microphone, camera, speaker, loudspeaker (near the mute button) and the LED indicator.

It comes complete with a screen protector which is easy to apply (although I still managed to mess it up, but that's just down to my recklessness) and a microfibre cloth.

The only drawback to this product is one that is inherent to being made of rubber - it gathers lint and dust like nothing else. But I think I'll let it off.

An investment to protect your investment. Highly recommended to all.