Profile for Chris Hopton > Reviews

Content by Chris Hopton

Chris Hopton (Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Piano Duos
Piano Duos

3.0 out of 5 stars Great music spoilt by incessant coughing from the noisy and sickly audience, 9 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Piano Duos (Audio CD)
The music playing is very fine. However, I have never heard a live recording where there has been so much coughing from the audience; it's a constant accompaniment to the music. During the very first piece (Mozart) the same woman is heard coughing every few seconds. I am amazed DG couldn't have masked this from the CD listener; it's really obtrusive and has really spoilt the experience of listening to such fine pianists..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2015 5:01 PM GMT

Lehmann Audio Linear Headphone Amplifier for 16 to 600 Ohms Headphones 280 x 110 x 44 mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Has to be heard to be believed: stunning quality headphone amp, 15 Dec. 2014
This is a truly awesome headphone amplifier. It produces superb music without anyone needing to resort to replacing the mains lead supplied with it for the obscenely priced substitutes recommended by various exotic cable brands. The bass is clean and powerful without being remotely boomy. I think it's ideally matched to the Shure 1840s open headphones which, to my ears, are vastly superior to my Sennheisers.

Project CD Box S CD Player (Black)
Project CD Box S CD Player (Black)
Offered by Discount +

5.0 out of 5 stars a superbly-made SACD in a tiny form factor, 15 Dec. 2014
I think this is a superb, tiny SACD player and very well manufactured: it oozes quality. The remote is small and responsive. Plugged into an ARCAM DAC and a Lehmann Linear Cube Headphone amp, I'm getting some awesome music out of my Shure 1840s.

Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with 36W Power Adapter and 3ft USB 3.0 Cable [VIA VL812 Chipset]
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Very reliable bit of kit, 18 Nov. 2014
I bought this in February 2014 and only recently needed to use all seven of its ports. Initially I thought the hub was faulty and earlier posted a mixed review for it. I have since discovered that the fault (two Lacie hard drives remaining invisible to my Windows 7 64 OS) was nothing whatsoever to do with Anker hub and everything to do with "signature confusion" between the two new 5TB Lacie drives I had bought and which were plugged into the hub. Since bringing the invisible hard drive "online" (through the disk management section of W7 64), all ports on the Anker have instantly detected whatever has been plugged into them. So, I'm now very satisfied with the Anker hub and would recommend it unreservedly to other potential purchasers.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2014 9:17 AM GMT

Birds: ID Insights
Birds: ID Insights
by Dominic Couzens

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight to read such an informative guide, 19 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Birds: ID Insights (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book. It provides a great complement to the other great guides that are available and hones in on the essential features that distinguish one particular bird from a closely-related and/or bewilderingly similar bird. The text is clear and uncluttered; the illustrations are beautiful and very clear. It's one of the most informative guides that I have ever had the pleasure of studying. It's compact enough to be taken out into the field in a large jacket pocket too. It is likely to bring greatest benefit to those who are observing birds through telescopes rather than low-power binoculars, given the minute and subtle differences mentioned between similar species.

SanDisk SDSDX-016G-X46 Extreme SDHC UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card up to 45 MB/s read - 16 GB
Offered by MyMemory

1.0 out of 5 stars What a huge let-down, 10 April 2014
Bought this for my daughter to use on a once-in-a-lifetime trip around New Zealand. The card suddenly stopped writing to disk and has been completely unformattable. I'm really shocked to see what a shoddy product Sandisk has produced. You look at all the features it's meant to possess and then it fails at the first hurdle. I've never encountered an SD card before that refuses, by any means available, to allow the user to reformat it. Amazon instantly agreed a full refund when I highlighted that this card is clearly NOT of merchantible quality. I'll never buy another Sandisk product again.

Brome Bird Care Squirrel Buster Plus Dishwasher Safe & Rustproof
Brome Bird Care Squirrel Buster Plus Dishwasher Safe & Rustproof
Offered by Lamp-Post Pet Supplies

2.0 out of 5 stars throwing out lots of mouldy seeds, 17 Jan. 2014
I have had one of these for a number of years and have found that it deters squirrels very effectively and is popular with a wide range of garden birds that seem very comfortable indeed with the feeding position on the large plastic ring. However, I disagree with reviews that praise its ability to be cleaned easily: cleaning the very bottom sections is a real chore and it takes considerable time and effort to remove mouldy seeds. My major criticism focuses upon how vulnerable it is to rain and condensation. Sunflower hearts are very expensive and I have spent now too many occasions throwing away lots of mouldy seed, having noticed that the birds had stopped visiting the feeder. Airfow through the feeder has not been as effective as the manufacturer has stated (despite the fact that I have cleaned it regularly to prevent or remove blockages at the bottom of the feeder). I have had seed going mouldy during the summer months as well as during the wetter months in Autumn, Winter and Spring. I think a redesign is in order to improve airflow and make it more rainproof. After my most recent experience of throwing out a substantial quantity of rotting sunflower hearts, I think, to continue using it, I'll need to buy the unshelled (and more robust) sunflower seeds. This has proved disappointingly wasteful for a high-capacity feeder.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2014 8:12 PM BST

TerraTec S7 (USB DVB-S2, MAC, WIN, HD, int CI-Modul)
TerraTec S7 (USB DVB-S2, MAC, WIN, HD, int CI-Modul)
Offered by bIT-Service - Important: Unless otherwise noted, we sell the GERMAN version of this product (considering keyb layout QWERTZ, labels). UK-Plug included

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value for money and great quality HD recordings, 13 July 2013
I use this virtually every day to record H.264 HD broadcasts from the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 that are useful to teachers within the school where I teach; it records unencrypted HD beautifully. The EPG is also useful and I can set up recordings manually weeks in advance. I convert the H.264 TS files into HD MPEG2s with Videoredo. The pictures are detailed and very sharp and pupils really notice the difference in quality from SD. The software was easy to install; the satellites were located quite quickly; the breakout box works well with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. The only quirk I have discovered is that, when setting up which audio track to record, if you select anything other than "No audio" (which I appreciate sounds counter-intuitive) you also embed in the TS file the audio commentary track for the visually-impaired. (Incidentally, ITV and Channel 4 broadcast at a consistently high bitrate; the BBC varies considerably.)

Better still, I have found that you can record two BBC programmes at the same time: BBC One HD and BBC Two HD can be recorded concurrently because both channels use the same satellite frequency. This has proved very handy when fellow teachers have asked me to record programmes that are broadcast at the same time. To gain the most from the Terratec S7 you really need a fast laptop/PC with a powerful graphics card.

LENOGE® 4800mAh, Li-ion Laptop Battery for ACERTravelMate 5220, 5230, 5220G, 5310, 5320, 5520, 5520G, 5530, 5530G, 5710, 5710G, 5720, 5720G, 5730, 5730G, 6410, 6460, 6592, 6592G, 7220, 7220G, 7320, 7520, 7520G, 7720, 7720G, Extensa 5220, 5420, 5430, 5620, 7620, Compatiable Part Number: LC.BTP00.005, LC.BTP00.011, 3UR18650Y-2-INV-10, BT.00603.024, BT.00604.011, BT.00605.025, LIP6219IVPC, LIP6219IVPC SY6, LIP6232ACPC 6Cells , 11.1V
Offered by EPC (UK) GRP LTD

Suits - Season 2 [DVD] [2012]
Suits - Season 2 [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Patrick J Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars so much better than the mutilated versions broadcast by "Dave"!, 18 May 2013
If you've had an opportunity to watch Suits Series 2 only on "Dave" I'd strongly recommend that you buy the DVD set. I have been shocked to discover how mutilated each episode has been which appears on Dave. Given the importance of word-play and verbal repartee to Suits, watching the episodes on DVD has been a revelation: the episodes make better sense, are more coherent, and are much more intelligible. I think it's a shame that there has been such heavy and clumsy redaction by Dave, just to create space for their banal advertising.

Compared with Series 1, the tone in Series 2 has been more serious and the relationship between Jessica and Harvey, to my mind, unpleasantly fractious at times. I preferred the lighter, more frivolous tone of the first series. Having said that, unlike some other reviewers, I liked the adversarial combats between them and Daniel Hardman (played with such evident relish by David Costabile!). I look forward to Series 3 but will skip the Dave broadcasts and inevitable mangling, and wait for the Series to be released on DVD.

Page: 1 | 2