Profile for Andrew Brown > Reviews

Content by Andrew Brown

Andrew Brown

Naming the Powers: The Language of Power in the New Testament (The Powers : Volume One)

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, 3 May 2014
I read this one as the last of the three. It is the one that reads more like a text book, but I would use the word 'methodical' rather than 'repetitive'. Maybe it's practical use is not as immediately apparent as the next two, but it lays an important foundation, without which the next two would be weakened. For that reason, though, I would probably recommend reading them in the order I did: 2, 3, 1. Or even 3, 2, 1: if you are not comfortable with the practical implications of what he is saying, why bother with the theory?

Engaging the Powers: Discernment and Resistance in a World of Domination
Engaging the Powers: Discernment and Resistance in a World of Domination

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable!, 18 April 2014
One of the most astonishing things about this book to is not the theory of non-violence (although there is a lot of that), it is the growing awareness as you read that he sees and explains the World as Jesus saw it. Absolutely remarkable! If you are at my level of reading, you might need a dictionary to hand for some of the terminology, but well worth the effort.

In the City of Bikes: The Story of the Amsterdam Cyclist
In the City of Bikes: The Story of the Amsterdam Cyclist
by Pete Jordan

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 23 Feb. 2014
I loved this book. I just wish I had read it before I spent a weekend cycling in Amsterdam last year. Fascinating read about the history of this wonderful city and how it came to be dominated by bikes. Most of all, it gave me hope for London. Sure, we've a long way to go, but enough people care enough, who knows...?