Profile for Jeremy Lintel > Reviews

Content by Jeremy Lintel

Jeremy Lintel "Jeremy Lintel" (New Malden)

Why We Run
Why We Run
by Robin Harvie

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent book about ambition, drive and the meaning of life, 23 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Why We Run (Paperback)
This is a book about running, sure; but it reminded me a lot of Milan Kundera's 'Slowness' and the books of WG Sebald, inhabiting a magical space between memoir, storytelling and pure, accessible philosophy. It starts by asking the question 'why do people love running?', but the author uses his very personal obsession to uncover some deep truths about all of us, whatever our own particular obsession is. What gives our lives meaning? What makes us get up and decide to achieve something on any given day? I'm still no closer to lacing up a pair of trainers, but Robin Harvie's book entertained me, taught me something and has really stayed with me in the time since I read it, and you can't ask for more from a memoir.

Borat: Touristic Guidings to Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan/Minor Nation of U.S. and A.
by Borat Sagdiyev

5.0 out of 5 stars Niiiiice. How much?, 12 Nov. 2007
If you like the film, you'll love this -- all-new gags, and loads of pictures of Borat that I hadn't seen before. YOu get to learn all about his family, and Borat's Kazakhstan -- genius album covers from Korki Butchek, the rules of the national sport of 'carrying women against their will', a poster for the Kazakh State Circus and a description of an epic game of ping-pong that made me laugh out loud. It's basically two books in one; turn it over, and it's a travel guide to the US... Highly recommended, I like!

This Diary Will Change Your Life 2008
This Diary Will Change Your Life 2008
by Benrik Ltd
Edition: Diary

5.0 out of 5 stars coolest diary on the market, 12 Nov. 2007
I've been buying Benrik's 'This Diary Will Change Your Life' for the last three years, and this is the best yet: stunning design and laugh-out-loud funny ideas of things to do every week in 2008 to shake your life up a bit. My favourite task is 'This week, freelance as a traffic warden' (with handy cut-out-and-keep freelance parking tickets -- you take 10% of the fine!) Genius
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2007 10:56 AM GMT

Nothing to Write Home About
Nothing to Write Home About
by Michelle Abadie

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, warm, funny snapshot of Britain and Britishness, 16 Oct. 2007
(postcard of 'Atlantic Surf at Perranporth, Cornwall')
'Dear E, had 2 letters from your solicitors, will let you know my requirements. Hope you are OK, Walter'

(postcard of 'Co.Kerry, Ireland', sent 1980)
'Hi there, having a fantastic time, my Uncle is a great laugh. See you soon, Mandy. Are you having any benefit from the new hearing aid?'

I've been flicking through this book all morning and can't stop showing it to friends: all it is, is facsimiles of ordinary postcards of ordinary British holiday resorts, reproduced alongside the funny, sometimes illiterate, heartwarming, bonkers messages of the ordinary Brits who scribbled on the back. My favourite: 'PS. Basil was sick from the trifle'. A lovely snapshot of a Britain that's fading from view, and a fun gift or Christmas.