Profile for Like2Read > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Sigma Sport Rox 6.0 06170 CAD Bike Computer White
Sigma Sport Rox 6.0 06170 CAD Bike Computer White

3.0 out of 5 stars Dodgy Heart Rate monitor, 4 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Sigma ROX 6.0 STS CAD (Sports)
Purchased this computer as I live in a very hilly area and I wanted the altitude function. Saw that it also had a few other features such as a heart rate monitor and cadence function. It also has a calorie counter which, although I realise would only be an estimate, was something that I also wanted.

First impressions - the altitude sensor is OK. It gives me a rough idea of how far I've climbed. I know that it's not accurate as sometimes as it relies on the atmospheric pressure. My ride home from work has me doing a 180 degree turn into a climb. When it's windy I can be going uphill yet the computer shows me as going downhill for a while.

Regarding the heart rate monitor, I think (or hope) that this unit has got a fault on it. Once my speed gets above about 17 mph, the heart rate displays the same figure until my speed drops below about 14 mph. As the calorie counter relies on the heartrate, this means that this figure is even more of a wild estimate. I've asked for a return and will get a new unit to replace this one. Will see how that unit works. I have positioned the head unit in different positions on my bike, rode without my LED headlight on and changed the batteries, but with no luck.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2015 1:47 PM BST

Depths
Depths
by Henning Mankell

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a `Whodunit' but a `Whydunit', 23 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Depths (Hardcover)
I have read two of the Wallander books by Mankell and they were good. This book is in a totally different league.

First of all, it is not a crime book in the usual sense of the word. Some crimes are committed in the book but you know who the perpetrator is.

The book starts in 1937 with the realisation by a mental asylum resident that she has managed to escape from her asylum home after many years inside. She (Kristina Tacker) turns around and returns to the asylum.

Backtrack in time to 1914 to just before the outbreak of World War One. Lars Tobiasson-Svartman is a naval commander with the neutral Swedish navy. He is an expert in his field of measuring the depth of the sea in order to make maps of shipping channels. He is sent on an assignment to map a channel within the Baltic Sea. It is here that he meets Sara Fredricke - a young widow living on a rocky outcrop cut-off from the mainland. From this point the story develops into one of infatuation, jealousy, anger and many other emotions. There is also the deception as he still has his wife (Kristina Tacker) back home.

The style of the book is quite peculiar. It has an almost abruptness to the writing - written as a series of short statements within short chapters - some very short. Whilst you would think that this would make for a boring read, the vivid picture that Henning Mankell draws of the characters and their surroundings is amazing.

Some parts of this book will remain with me for a long time. These include the German soldier's harrowing account of the war. The incident with the `kid with the snotty nose' was where I noticed the real changing point in Tobiasson-Svartman's character. The Christmas dinner references were also brilliantly written, in my opinion.

Overall, an excellent book. Other reviewers have stated that `Italian Shoes' is even better than this book; that is now next on my hit list.

I think that this book may have a deepness to it that I simply did not get. Rather than putting my thoughts and views here, I've added them as a comment as they could be a spoiler.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2012 10:45 AM GMT

BenQ G2220HD 21.5 Inch Wide LCD Monitor (16:9 Full-HD 1080P,5ms, 10,000:1,DVI) - Glossy Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong at this price, 12 Feb. 2012
Bought this monitor as I occasionally work from home and needed a bit more display space than my old 15 inch monitor gave. So far I have been very impressed; it will certainly make my job easier.

Regarding the quality and sharpness of the image - I can't complain. I don't use the monitor to do gaming (other than maybe Solitaire) so can't comment on how well it handles moving images.

The monitor comes with power cable and a VGA cable. It does not have built in speakers - I don't think the description specifically mentions this.

One very slight annoyance (very slight), the protective plastic covering was difficult to get off some parts - mainly the stand. Not too much of a problem though.

Overall, for what I need the monitor for - a brilliant monitor for the price.

SA3MXX04KA GoGEAR MP3 Player with Direct USB, FullSound & 4GB Memory
SA3MXX04KA GoGEAR MP3 Player with Direct USB, FullSound & 4GB Memory

4.0 out of 5 stars Good player but poor instructions, 28 Jan. 2012
Bought this at Christmas for my daughter. She is delighted with it. She also bought some cheap headphones (£6.99 ALBA ones from a certain catalogue shop) and these compliment the MP3 player perfectly.

The downside to the player is that the instructions could be better. Getting music onto the player is as straightforward as dragging and dropping from file manager. However, there should be a way of storing the music by album - I still haven't worked out how to do this. There is a way of storing albums in individual folders instead which is almost as good.

It may be obvious from the name that this is an MP3 player so, if like me you have stored your music as MP4s, you'll have to copy them onto disc again.

Overall, a good player. I recommend it.

I have now worked out how to store music by album or artist - see one of the comments for further details.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2012 7:58 PM GMT

No Escape
No Escape
by Natasha Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars A shocking start to an excellent book, 19 Jan. 2012
This review is from: No Escape (Paperback)
This is the first book that I've read by this particular author. I was pleasantly surprised.

The book starts with the murder of a family picnicking whilst on holiday on the Isle of Wight. I must admit, whilst not graphic, this did shock me. The story then fast forwards four years to a psychologist, Dr Karen Taylor, who is writing a paper on DSPD (Dangerous Severe Personality Disorder). Add to her studies an often aggressive policeman called DCI Trench as well as an ex-husband; mother-in-law; pushy and nosey Professor and various locals and you have yourself a brilliant storyline.

Without spoiling the plot for those who have not read the book, I thought that I'd got things tied up a couple of times - only to be knocked back.

The book is never dull but, as I got more into it, I did find that I was reading "just another chapter"; I must discipline myself not to do this when I have to get up early the following day.

There is some medical terminology throughout the book yet, despite the fact that most of it went over my head, it didn't detract me from the storyline.

If you're into crime/suspense thrillers, add this book to your wish list.

Hell's Corner (Camel Club)
Hell's Corner (Camel Club)
by David Baldacci

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 5 Oct. 2011
Picked up this book from the Bestsellers' shelf in the library. I have never read any David Baldacci books so did not know what to expect.

When I got home and read the reviews on here, I was slightly apprehensive as they are quite mixed. With a few of the reviews saying things like, "Not as good as his earlier books", I can't wait to get hold of my next Baldacci book.

The main character of the book is Oliver Stone who gets given an assignment off the President of the US. Almost immediately this assignment changes following the bombing in Lafayette Park. Trying to find the perpetrators of the bombing leads Stone down a route that has more twists and turns than the Monaco Grand Prix.

I thought that the book started a bit slowly but soon picked up pace. After about a hundred pages, it becomes a real page turner.

Whilst the characterisation was slightly lacking, individual characters were referred to in such a way that you were never really left wondering who was who.

I did think that there were a few places where I was left questioning whether the actions in the plot would actually have mapped out exactly as written in the book. These weren't major issues and were more of a thinking point than an annoyance; a book with such a complex storyline is bound to throw out the odd, what I would call, discrepancy.

Overall, an easy read despite the ever changing plot. It isn't such a `deep' book that I'll still be thinking about it in six months time but it was certainly a good read and I'm pleased to have found another author to choose from.

Abracadabra Clarinet: Pupil's Book: The Way to Learn Through Songs and Tunes (Abracadabra Woodwind)
by Jonathan Rutland

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 29 July 2011
My eight year old daughter bought this book with her birthday money. She is very pleased with it.

There are two books to choose from, one comes with two CDs - one book doesn't. This review is for the book with the CDs. Most of the tunes within the book are performed on the discs. Occasionally there is a tune that is not included but, with over 150 tunes to practice, this is no great loss. Also, some of the tunes on the CD come as a backing track as well as a performance featuring the clarinet together with other instruments.

There are a good variety of tunes that gradually get more challenging. What is really good about the book is just how easy information is to take in - new information is presented just before it is needed and is easy to find should you need to revisit. There are also pictures showing you how to produce a note when that note is introduced.

Overall, a very good book for the beginner.

Bell Faction matt light blue (Size: M)
Bell Faction matt light blue (Size: M)

5.0 out of 5 stars Groovy Helmet, 25 July 2011
Bought this helmet for my daughter for her birthday; she loves it!

The choice of three thickness's of Velcro lining ensures a snug fit. The straps are also riveted to the shell - this made it easier to position the strap properly.

Delivery was excellent. Ordered at about midnight on Thursday and it arrived on the Saturday - that was without paying extra for the speedy delivery service.

One word of warning, this helmet is more suited to girls than boys. Whilst the light blue 'could' be suitable for a boy, the foam pads inside the helmet are bright pink.

Silverline 868729 Log Splitting Wedge, 6 lb
Silverline 868729 Log Splitting Wedge, 6 lb

5.0 out of 5 stars Get some ear defenders too!, 19 July 2011
Ordered two of these on Thursday evening - they were delivered on Saturday morning.

What can I say about the product? You'll need two, as mentioned in other reviews. It is probably best to wear ear defenders too as, when hitting it with a 14lb sledgehammer, it can be a bit noisy.

I've used them on a variety of species of wood. Eighteen inch long by 24 inch diameter conifer rings have been tackled. Whilst this used a fair amount of effort, chopping with a maul was simply not possible.

As expected, the paint is coming off. Also, the 'blunt' end is looking a bit battered - I've been advised by people who have similar wedges that this is normal.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., 18 July 2011
Our last ladder broke when one of the locking pins did not engage properly. With that in mind, a ladder with pins either side was a must.

This ladder has plus points and minus points:

Plus points are it has locking pins on both sides; it is inexpensive to buy; it is easy to fit - took me less than an hour and some of that time was boiling the kettle and making a cup of tea. Whilst the ladder does flex slightly - it doesn't do too bad coping with over 17 stone.

Minus points are the aluminium ends are slightly sharp - a rounded finish wouldn't have gone amiss. The rubber feet are slightly slippery for the first few uses - this can put excess strain on the brackets at the top if the feet move backwards whilst in use. The treads aren't very deep - this makes using the ladder in bare feet a bit uncomfortable. The ladder isn't as wide as our last one.

Overall, for occasional use I'm pleased with the ladder. If I had to use it loads and loads I'd spend a bit more money on something more substantial but, for every now and then, it does the job at a very competitive price.

Page: 1 | 2