Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Dublin Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
Spiral - Series 5 [DVD] [2014]
Spiral - Series 5 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Caroline Proust

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable, 16 Mar. 2015
This in my opinion is an unmissable series!

Inspector Montalbano: Collection One (2 Disc) [DVD]
Inspector Montalbano: Collection One (2 Disc) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Luca Zingaretti
Offered by Assai-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than I had hoped, 16 April 2012
This is a most enjoyable series, based closely on the excellent series by Andrea Camilleri. Every character is well acted, in some cases brilliantly acted and the scenery and locations are wonderful. Not to be missed!

Instruments of Darkness
Instruments of Darkness
by Imogen Robertson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great find, 5 Nov. 2011
I chanced upon "Instruments of Darkness" through an Amazon recommendation, ordered it from my local library and am delighted to have found a new author who combines most of the elements I enjoy in a book. Well written, well researched with a good feel for the period although perhaps the speech is more modern, but a good story well told and with likable and interesting characters. I am looking forward to reading the sequel and hope that Ms Robertson writes many more novels of this standard.
I can highly recommend this book! Other reviewers are more detailed in their analyis, I say just enjoy reading it.

The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
by Tarek Malouf

1.0 out of 5 stars Home baking disaster, 3 Aug. 2011
As a keen home baker I bought this book in anticipation of delicious treats in store, however when I decided to try two recipes for an event at my local tennis club the result was a disaster. Never in my experience have recipes gone so wrong, both the Lemon Loaf and the chocolate cake recipe I attempted were closer to soup than cake, I wasted so much good eggs, butter and sugar. I found when reading the reviews that it was not I but the book that is at fault and have now consigned this book to the charity shop with a warning note inside! Nice photos but that is it.
Nigella, Nigel, Rachel Allen and the Joy of Cooking still write the best and most reliable cookbooks to follow.

The Country Gentleman
The Country Gentleman
by Fiona Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written Regency, 13 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Country Gentleman (Hardcover)
This book was recommended by a contributor to an online thread, where the participants are specifically looking for writers similar to Georgette Heyer, the queen of Regency romance stories in my opinion. This book is most enjoyable and well written with a good feeling for the contemporary detail and language, which can be lacking in many writers who seek to emulate Heyer.
Although not quite as witty as many of Heyer's books, the story and characters are well drawn and I would recommend it as a satisfying read. I plan on finding some more of Fiona Hills books soon.

Regency Masquerade (Regency Romance)
Regency Masquerade (Regency Romance)
by Joan Smith
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars sadly disappointed, 20 Dec. 2010
Seeking well written Regency novels, I tried this from Joan Smith. Disappointing, slight and no great character development or story line.
I doubt I will read any more from this author, the search for the next Georgette Heyer continues!

Eliza's Daughter: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility
Eliza's Daughter: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility
by Joan Aiken

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 23 Oct. 2010
I am constantly on the lookout for well written and well researched historical fiction and I have a particular affection for the novels of Jane Austen and in this book I think that I have found a book well worth reading.
I particularly liked the way in which the story does not follow a predictable pattern but establishes the character of Eliza in her own, difficult and challenging, milieu.
The author's use of language is good and unlike so many of the Austen sequels she does not use modern idiom which so spoils the books of many authors.
In its own right it is a good and well written story and with the added interest of familiar characters from Sense and Sensibility, it is a most enjoyable read.
The characters for the most part are seen in a very different light to what we may expect and this helps to establish this book as a solid piece of fiction.
My only disappointment is that it is too short!
I recommend this book to those who share a love of Austen and who enjoy reading well written historical fiction.

Half Broke Horses
Half Broke Horses
by Jeannette Walls

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful voice, 24 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Half Broke Horses (Paperback)
I read this book on the recommendation of a friend from Texas, and since I read it I have recommended it to many of my friends. It is a wonderful book, written as a record of an amazing life, the life of the authors maternal grandmother. I loved this book and would recommend that you read this first and then move on the her story based on the life of her mother.
I loved her grandmother's voice, and I read the book at a gallop, I could hardly bear to put it down.
Read "The Glass Castle " after you have read this book, I guarantee you that you will love them both. A great find and an author I look forward to reading again.

Minerva, A Regency Romance (The Six Sisters, Vol.1)
Minerva, A Regency Romance (The Six Sisters, Vol.1)
by Marion Chesney

3.0 out of 5 stars A lightweight., 2 Sept. 2010
The characters and the narrative in this story, one of a series of six, are very sketchy and the poorly drawn. The story is a standard tale of Regency novels but not believable and certainly not engaging. Disappointing, and not up to the standard of Georgette Heyer who remains in my opinion the best of the Regency authors.

The Loveday Loyalty (Loveday 7)
The Loveday Loyalty (Loveday 7)
by Kate Tremayne

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great series of Cornish life, 5 May 2010
I am reading the Loveday series at the moment, and despite the fact that the style is repetitive in that the author tends to rehash the plots of the previous novels in the series I do intend to complete the series. I would say however that in comparison to the Poldark novels of Winston Graham, this series is a poor second best. Reasonably well written but not wonderful and the characters are not as complex as the story deserves. A lukewarm recommendation at best!

Page: 1 | 2