Profile for uksclavain > Reviews

uksclavain (Nottingham UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Teleportation Accident
The Teleportation Accident

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic - what students will be studying in the future., 15 Aug. 2014
I have just finished the book and experiencing such sadness to let it go and an urge to start it again, a feeling I have not had for many years.
This is a wonderfully insanely funny book. A few times I have had embarrassing moments guffawing aloud on public transport.
It's kind of slapstick with brilliant set pieces and the prose is never ever boring.
Have to thank Mr HG for signposting and bringing the book to my notice.Seem to be saying that a lot recently :)
Sum up - Brilliant

All the Birds, Singing
All the Birds, Singing

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a British/Australian book and wonderful. An astonishing book, 24 July 2014
This is a British/Australian book and wonderful.An astonishing book. Darker than I thought it would be, and with many unanswered questions its stuck in my mind since finishing it. Reminded me a lot of The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks, it has that same sense of darkness, secrets and isolation.
The language is faultless, I have lost count of sentences I have underlined where the description takes my breath away.The first line sets the tone "Another sheep, mangled and bled out, her innards not yet crusting and the vapours rising from her like a steamed pudding".
For me the British side was of a woman scared, with secrets, isolated but tough and suffering.The headaches drinking visions etc. Not mad but immensely paranoid...but about what? She has males and people wanting to be friendly which she rejects.
The Australian part of the story is far more complex because it moves back in time.At first she is a strong woman, sheep shearer ...knocks a guy down with a punch. But she has a past.
The horrors and darkness of her life continue until one stupid but immense mistake She pays for it a thousand fold.
Redemption she achieved in the last sentence for all her crimes.
The wildlife, both dogs, spiders and the natural history of Britain and Australia play a big part.
Best book I have read this year by a gnats knacker so far :)
The author is British/Australian and female.
I think the book is about trust.

The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1 (Don Tillman Series)
The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1 (Don Tillman Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Rosie Project, 9 Feb. 2014
Enjoyed very much
Made me consider ocd=================
Music will never forgive him
A book for both sexes but lads try not to be a Don

Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stoner, 18 Dec. 2013
Wonderful a great moment for me.
An obsessive compulsive delight.
Seriously that good many plaudits say beautiful...can't argue.
Looking forward to the Hollywood ADAPTION

Life After Life
Life After Life

5.0 out of 5 stars aRT, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
Seriously for me a great book Not seriously bloody hell read
Life changing
Wonderful prose and all the criticisms for repetition pfff part and parcel of a piece of ART

Ready Player One
Ready Player One

5.0 out of 5 stars Nerd, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Ready Player One (Kindle Edition)
Love the 80s play wowish
Loved the book
They wittle on just read :)
Up there with .... the Amazing Alex... Life After LIfe and Howey

Flashman in the Great Game (The Flashman Papers, Book 8)
Flashman in the Great Game (The Flashman Papers, Book 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Da da leader of universe, 9 Nov. 2012
Flashman sadly a late discovery for me. I thank Christopher Hitchens and Boris Johnson - that was great Question Time

Morally challenged and entertained who could ask more?

Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 2)
Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars One Step Beyond, 25 May 2012
Wolf Hall I loved but this carries on the historical Henry fiction pageant a little too much for me.
Hillary please move on, this getting a little moneymaker for you I guess....Wolf Hall 3 I dread
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2012 5:11 PM BST

Surfer Cord Necklace With Carved Bone Pendant - Fully Adjustable - BLACK & BROWN CORD
Offered by Cygnet Gifts

3.0 out of 5 stars Confused, 25 Mar. 2012
No instructions and very unsure how to adjust length, which was a big downer for me.
Otherwise fine and dandy.

Mens kitsch ironic vintage retro style Black sheep jumper in blue xs s m l xl (Large)
Offered by fuzzdandy

5.0 out of 5 stars Careful, 25 Mar. 2012
Im a male in my 50s and I got lots of laughs and derision for wearing this in my local pub.
No regrets love it:)