Profile for Jamie > Reviews

Content by Jamie

Jamie

The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars compulsive reading, 13 Aug. 2014
Sometimes people write exhaustive reviews attempting to examine authorial intent, interpret nuance, etc. Simply put, it was compulsive reading at its finest. I wanted to know who did it, how, when, where and why? I cared about the characters and wanted to follow the story through to its conclusion as expeditiously as possible. As engrossing a reading experience as I've had for some time.

Voices from S-21: Terror and History in Pol Pot's Secret Prison
Voices from S-21: Terror and History in Pol Pot's Secret Prison
by David Chandler

2.0 out of 5 stars Voice (singular) from S-21, 7 Jan. 2013
The deception is in the title. Better it had been titled, " A study into the structure and functionality of the Tuol Sleng facility in the the context of the Khmer Rouge regime." Not "Voices from S-21" which suggests the inclusion of the accounts of others.The one discernible voice heard throughout the entirety of the volume is that of David Chandler. That is not to say that he speaks over the voices of the deceased or indeed the handful of survivors. Instead, his inclusion of their first hand experiences is minimal, choosing instead to endlessly debate the definition of genocide and relentlessly compare Cambodia to Rwanda, Russia, and Argentina, all in the name of context. I have visited S-21 and found that though Chandlers overly academic approach to such a sensitive issue did not detract from my appreciation, it did nothing to enhance it. I was not looking for a sensationalist gory catalogue of torture. I only sought a sensitively approached social history of the facility. This did not deliver.

Birkenstock Mayari, Women's Sandals, Mocca Nubuk, 6 UK
Birkenstock Mayari, Women's Sandals, Mocca Nubuk, 6 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Much humbled, 6 Jan. 2013
After much maligning my partner for wanting a leg up on to the Birkenstock bandwagon, I arrive at a point nearly 4 months later wearing my 3rd change of footwear whilst she is still smugly wearing these. Travelling around south east Asia, two pairs of my flip flops/ sandals have succumbed to wear whilst her perky Birkenstocks are relatively pristine. They are as good as all wearers seem to suggest, though it pains my feet and I to admit as much.

The Passage
The Passage
by Justin Cronin

1.0 out of 5 stars Too long x2, 6 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Passage (Paperback)
I'm frustrated. I really tried with this book. It was just too long. Long in terms of length as well as in terms of winded. I made it just past page 500 before finally flinging the towel in. The story is adequate and fairly well written. However, it doesn't consistently offer up enough incentives in the forms of intrigue or suspense, to warrant wading in further. At the point I bailed literary ship I was actually stuck wandering about a desert in the company of a handful of the key protagonists about whom I cared little. It was a relief to escape from them and their monotonous plight. I shall not be returning to the rest, nor subsequent instalments.