Profile for J. Ridley > Reviews

Content by J. Ridley

J. Ridley "jridleyriggs" (Scotland)

Live in Chicago 1992
Live in Chicago 1992

1.0 out of 5 stars Bootleg, 4 Jun 2011
This review is from: Live in Chicago 1992 (Audio CD)
This is clearly a Bootleg as Neil has never recorded for this label and it is not a scheduled release on the Archives or Performance Series.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2013 4:02 PM GMT

Five Bridges [with 5 bonus tracks]
Five Bridges [with 5 bonus tracks]

4.0 out of 5 stars Pompous?...Yeah but great!!, 15 Feb 2009
I first heard this album when a girlfriends brother played it to me in 1970 (on vinyl of course). At the time I was just getting into Prog Rock and had been introduced to Beggars Opera, ELP and Yes by the same guy and at first listen found this very similar. Further listening however revealed that this was indeed different. This was a band playing with a real orchestra and not just mellotrons ( I hadn't heard Deep Purples' concerto or Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd yet) Up till now I had heard the Moody Blues and their orchestral effort Days of Future Passed but had also read that they and the orchestra did not play together that the orchestral parts were indeed Mike Pinder on Mellotron when the Moodies were playing and the orchestra alone when they were playing.

I found Five Bridges easy to listen to (no I don't mean easy listening!)
compared to some stuff I had been introduced to and the themes of the Bridges sweet soon embedded themselves in my head.

I don't intend to give a track by track review but simply feel that the album should be listened to in three parts:

1 The 5 Bridges Suite.
2 The next four tracks (the original "B" side of the album
3 Finally the bonus material

The reason I recommend this is that the original album (minus bonus cuts) was made to be listened to this way and maybe I just got used to it. 39 years later this album still sounds very fresh (o.k. some of the bonus stuff has aged...who hasn't?) If you are at all interested in Prog or indeed orchestrated rock ( Love , Forever Change springs to mind) give this a try, then if you haven't heard them move on to Atom Heart Mother, Deep Purple's Concerto,Uriah Heep. Salisbury, title track give them a whirl as well. Who knows you may well be pleasantly surprised.

Happy listening.

Last Great Traffic Jam
Last Great Traffic Jam
Offered by CD USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware!, 9 Jan 2006
This review is from: Last Great Traffic Jam (Audio CD)
Let me start by saying I am a great Traffic / Steve Winwood/ Jim Capaldi fan having bought all the albums when they originally appeared ( even to the extent of buying Ginger Baker's Airforce). I believe Winwood could sing the phone book and make it sound good.
However,....you knew it was coming, but this is a real mishmash of an album.
Where do I start.
How about 1 The DVD is audio only as far as the concert is concerned with interview footage.
2 The DVD is backed with disc one although the sleeve says disc two
3 The tracks are listed on cd 1 but play it and you get cd 2
4 Glad is faded out after 7 mins
I find myself wondering how any record company can treat such an influential band in this manner , then I remember that quality control went out the window in general years ago.
How come the four stars? Well the show is actualy excellent with Winwood in fine voice and the band really cooking!! Low Spark is tremendous and tracks like Pearly Queen and Medicated Goo bring back so many ggod memories.
Also the footage you do get on the DVD, a 20 min interview with Capaldi and Winwood is quite interesting. However at 84mins for the audio cd's there was more than enough room for the full Glad and incidentally the three tracks included as a bonus on the DVD concert film. Do I detect someone trying to squeeze a buck!!
As I say I don't know quite frankly if this warrants the cost and wish I had bought the cd and concert dvd seperately , which I thought I was getting here in one package. So the four stars due to the shoddy packaging and info and if I was doing them seperately it would be 1 star for the package 5 stars for the music.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2014 7:35 PM BST