Profile for Marnei > Reviews

Child Bride : The Untold Story of Priscilla Beaulieu Presley
Child Bride : The Untold Story of Priscilla Beaulieu Presley
by Suzanne Finstad

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm !, 25 Aug 2007
Read this twice, not because I liked it but to check that my feelings about it were not because I may have been in a bad mood on the first reading. I'm not a huge fan of Priscilla Presley myself but it appears that the author just took every bad thing they heard or was told about Priscilla and crammed it all into one book. If your looking for a balanced insightful book about Priscilla Presley then avoid this book like the plague.

Elvis in the Twilight of Memory
Elvis in the Twilight of Memory
by June Juanico

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, 25 Aug 2007
I really enjoyed this book. June Juanico really has told the story of Elvis before fame hit and you get a real insight into the person he was. This book is one of the best I've read and has many not so well know tales to tell. I can't praise the writer enough, Well Done !!!

Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations from the Memphis Mafia
Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations from the Memphis Mafia
by Alanna Nash

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 25 Aug 2007
Can't believe I am saying this but this is a "Bodyguard" book that is well worth reading. Although it tells of Elvis' not so nice side it is done in such a way that you see Elvis as a whole person both good and bad. It is written without bitterness but maybe with some regret that you can only appreciate with the gift of hindsight.

Elvis and Gladys (Southern Icons)
Elvis and Gladys (Southern Icons)
by Elaine Dundy
Price: 22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 25 Aug 2007
Really liked this book, it's one of the few books that tries to find out what made Elvis the person he was, where he came from and why he behaved in the way he did, by delving into the family history you begin to see the whole person.

Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley
Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley
by Peter Guralnick

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard Going !, 25 Aug 2007
I loved the first book but found the second book more of a chore to read, not entirely the Authors fault as writing about the post 50's Elvis has a more difficult subject matter than the first book. This said the book is as well researched and as well written as the first book.

Inside Graceland
Inside Graceland
by Nancy Rooks
Price: 18.36

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Book, 25 Aug 2007
This review is from: Inside Graceland (Paperback)
Enjoyed the read. Although there are many many books written by staff members, this one is different you get the impression that Nancy Rooks is sat on your couch chatting away about her time at Graceland. I didn't think I would like this book but I did.

Last Train To Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley
Last Train To Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley
by Peter Guralnick
Price: 9.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 25 Aug 2007
This book is just fantastic ! Probably the best Elvis book I have ever read. A must read.

Elvis: Still Taking Care of Business
Elvis: Still Taking Care of Business
by Sonny West

2.0 out of 5 stars Absence makes the heart grow fonder ?, 25 Aug 2007
I had a problem with this book, I have read many Elvis books over the years including "What Happened" and I think that maybe the problem. I think this book would have been more enjoyable if I hadn't read "What Happened" It has obviously many of the same stories but after 30 years the telling comes across a little differently. I understand that time is a healer but to me this book comes over as almost an apology. I just didn't get it.

Me and a Guy Named Elvis: My Lifelong Friendship with Elvis Presley
Me and a Guy Named Elvis: My Lifelong Friendship with Elvis Presley
by Jerry Schilling
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice read, 25 Aug 2007
Nothing new but ok for a light read. The book is written from a friends perception of how he remembers past history, no nastiness or bitterness, enjoyable reading.