Profile for clive > Reviews

Epson Perfection V600 High Resolution 6400 x 9600 dpi Scanner
Epson Perfection V600 High Resolution 6400 x 9600 dpi Scanner
Price: 215.50

4.0 out of 5 stars More than happy with the V600, 12 Jan 2013
Decided I needed to get a photoscanner to archive my 90 yr old fathers transparancy collection. Most reviews just added to my confusion and seemed like reading hifi reviews of years ago.I have always taken an interest in photography but wouldnt class my self as a keen amateur. To me the quality of the scans was important but so was cost , time to execute etc. I finally decided not to go with a pure film scanner like a plustek as I decided there was a benefit in also copying some old family prints and thought the ability to scan some family prints from cruises ,weddings and graduations would also be a worthwile benefit. So that meant a flatbed. Next what resolution ability was needed. The more I read I was convinced that prints would need 600dpi and film and transparancies for archive storage should be at 3000 or 4000 dpi. This would allow at least good quality 10 x 8 prints to be made if required. Next step was decide if ICE was required to remove scratches. I decided it was and this has proved a real winner in practice.I now wouldnt want a scanner without this ability.

So which model ?. I set budet of around 200 so a Epson v700 was out. The Epson V600 met my soec and budget plus it had good reviews.Finally what software would be provided. Silverfast seemed to be the benchmark but Epson manager seemed user-friendly and the inclusion of Adobe photoshop elements 9 clinched the deal for me.( worth about 80 to buy seperately.

In practice. I have concluded my requirements were sound, The scanner is delivering a 4 transparancy set scan at 3000 dpi with ICE dust and scratch removal in about 11 mins. Time to get a coffee once started. The jpegs print well at 10 x8 and obvioulsy look fine on my 46 inch tv where most viewing is done with the family. My only dislike is the transparancy holder that encougages finger marks on the plate. I also invested in a rocket air pump to blow away hairs etc. Overall I am very pleased with the V600 and now just need time to tackle the 8000 slide library.. and oh yes i do need a light box to help with sorting of keeper slides from the rest.
[[ASIN:B002TAA3MY Epson Perfection V600 High Resolution 6400 x 9600 dpi Scanner]