Profile for Maidenite '79 > Reviews

Maidenite '79

Piece Of Mind
Piece Of Mind

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated - piece of maiden history., 8 Mar 2012
This review is from: Piece Of Mind (Audio CD)
I first heard this album when I was about ten and I didn't really appreciate it for what it was then, simply a brilliant album. I was getting into metal in the early nineties when it was still considered cool and almost mainstream. I was listening to Seventh Son, Powerslave, No Prayer For The Dying, Fear Of The Dark etc and I thought they were awesome but this album went under the radar somewhat.
Now I can appreciate it for what it is, a stalwart unsung hero of an album. They've played most of these songs live at some point, which speaks volumes. Where eagles dare, revelations, flight of icarus, die with your boots on, the trooper, still life and I think To tame a land; they have played all these live at some point or another.
Having listened to this album over and over I now think it is better than Powerslave, a bold statement I know and I say it with the exception of Rime of the ancient mariner and powerslave (title track) but this is a better album in it's entirity than Powerslave imo. There are some classics here like revelations, flight of icarus and the trooper but the real winners here for me are die with your boots on, still life and the epic to tame a land. Some consider quest for fire to be a dud track, but even that has a great riff and solo.
An album that I can listen to all the way through.