Profile for LA Hanson > Reviews

Peanuts Snoopy Birthday card by Hallmark
Peanuts Snoopy Birthday card by Hallmark

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Dec 2014
Just as expected

Kindle Fire HD 7", HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 3rd)

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire HD, 9 Jan 2014
I already had the basic kindle so was surprised when my husband gave me this for Christmas. At first I was like 'what will I use this for I already have a kindle to read books on, a PC, a laptop and a smart phone to read emails and use Facebook?', but once I had downloaded my email accounts, Facebook, scrabble, weather apps, BBC news etc etc and watched an episode of Strictly Come Dancing from Christmas Day which I missed, it was a case of OK this is useful. But I was still reluctant to read books on it though until I realised my kindle library had now synced with my Fire HD, so now I'm feeling guilty 'cos I hardly use my basic kindle for reading now.
I'm now a convert why? Reading a book the text is so clear and sharp the screen is so much easier to read, and I love the fact that in my libraries I have images of the book covers to look at and not just their titles! It's convenient for searching the internet through the Silk browser if you don't want to have to fire up a computer.
OK to be fair I haven't watched any more TV on it via the iplayer etc (but I might well watch the odd short programme if I missed something and not recorded it) or films or listened to music, so for what I'm using my Kindle Fire HD for it's perfect, I could probably do a lot more with it and no doubt in time I will.

Kenwood kMix SJM043 Boutique Kettle - Bright Blue
Kenwood kMix SJM043 Boutique Kettle - Bright Blue
Offered by Buy on Line

5.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood KMix Kettle, 19 Dec 2013
Love it, great kettle, boils quickly and isn't too noisy like some kettles I've had in the past. Great design/shape and lovely colours to choose from.

The Last Werewolf (The Last Werewolf 1) (The Last Werewolf Trilogy)
The Last Werewolf (The Last Werewolf 1) (The Last Werewolf Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised by how much I like this book, 11 May 2012
I bought this book only because it was the Kindle book daily deal, this is not a genre I would usually read, in fact normally I would avoid it like the plague and no way would I walk into a book shop and pick up a book such as this. But this to me is what having a Kindle does for you, you read 'books' you wouldn't normally give bookshelf space to, you broaden your reading horizons. This book has really surprised me, I'm half way through it and loving it (hence the 4 star rating, maybe 5 by the time I finish?). I think it's very well written - it has that quality that makes you read on as it flows so well, it hooks you in. It's witty and very funny in places, but yes, also dark and violent. I find myself warming to Jake as a character (what is going on he's a werewolf!), and that is the nub of the issue, Glen Duncan has written a highly likeable character in Jake and a novel that makes you ponder after you have turned the Kindle off. On the strength of this I have bought the sequel as it is only £2.99 for Kindle download, I hope I'm not disappointed...

The Captive Queen
The Captive Queen
by Alison Weir

1.0 out of 5 stars Captive Queen, 11 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Captive Queen (Paperback)
Having enjoyed Alison Weir's non-fiction (including Eleanor of Aquitaine) I thought I would give this a go, sadly in no way did it live up to my expectations, maybe I had been spoilt with Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall last year (which I loved), but this book did nothing for me. I found the endless sex scenes quite frankly boring and unnecessary, with a thin plot, lacking in any real depth. I felt nothing for the characters of Eleanor or Henry and I got no real sense of twelfth-century Europe. Struck me that it was more like a Medieval Mills & Boon. I gave up about a third of the way through, life's too short.

Madam, Will You Talk? (Coronet Books)
Madam, Will You Talk? (Coronet Books)
by Mary Stewart

4.0 out of 5 stars Just as good over twenty-five years on, 28 July 2010
I first read this book back in the early 1980s as a teenager and am now having a dip in to the past re-reading some of Mary Stewart's books. I thoroughly enjoyed it all these years later. Yes of course it's dated and not taxing in the least, but it's still a very good light read and a book you can rattle through very quickly. It's well written and descriptive, painting an expected picture of the French countryside circa 1950. The plot does rely on a lot of coincidences, ie the scenes in Marseilles, a big city yet Charity (the main female character) is immediately 'caught' by Richard Byron almost as soon as she arrives there. But having said that the pace is quite fast and the characters are engaging if a little stereo-typed. And of course it can seem a bit sexist by current standards but then it was written in the mid 1950s. However, Charity's driving skills racing around the south of France being pursued and pursuing the villains would challenge many a contemporary male driver!

Looking forward to re-visiting a few more of Mary Stewart's novels.

The Little Stranger
The Little Stranger
by Sarah Waters

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I hadn't bothered, 28 July 2010
This review is from: The Little Stranger (Paperback)
I read the off putting reviews but decided to give it a go anyway. Why did I bother? I found it dull, not scary in the least as some have commented they found it. The characters were unengaging, and unlikeable, and to me the plot never really got going. I carried on with it but was so glad when it was over. Not one for a re-read.

I have read other novels by Sarah Waters that I really enjoyed, this one though sadly did nothing for me.

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall
by Hilary Mantel

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I ignored the negative reviews, 28 July 2010
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Paperback)
I bought Wolf Hall when it first came out in paperback, along with 2 other shortlisted Booker Prize novels. I waited to read it because I found the negative reviews on here off putting and having read one of the other shortlisted titles (which I wouldn't rate at all), I was wary. Thank goodnes I started reading it yesterday and gave it a chance, although I haven't finished it (hence only 4 stars), I've already read over 100 pages and I am hooked. The writing is true quality a very rare thing these days in novels. Some have said the prose is dull etc, not at all in my opinion, it is rich bringing to life the period and the characters. Yes, there a lot of characters (how could there not be?) but so far I have not found this too confusing or the use of 'he' to denote Thomas Cromwell speaking etc. It is not a book you can skim; the prose is to be savoured. I find myself fully immersed in Tudor England and eager to read more. So to anyone like me who was put off by the negative reviews on here, go for it and give it a chance.