Profile for David Bailey > Reviews

Clarks Mens Seasonal King Ross Leather Slippers In Wine Standard Fit Size 8
Offered by Bells Shoes
Price: 39.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made and comfy, 8 May 2014
Shoes are a personal thing so the fact that these fit me isn't much use to you. I had to get some slippers as the doc said I shouldn't be walking around indoors without anything on my feet. I'm not a slipper person and I don't smoke a pipe or have a large floppy dog either.

So I was a bit fussy and still try not to wear them. However, they are leather and look more brown that wine to me. They're well made and don't have that stupid suede sole (it's man made and quite slip resistant) that so many leather slippers have, which means I can make short forays out in the garden. Also, the soles won't wear out in about a year. Additionally, the lining looks like it will last as long as the rest of the slipper.

So if you want a pair of leather slippers give 'em a try, I would have preferred black but Clarks don't do them and I won't pay over the odds just to get another colour. I believe you can get wider fittings too, but not from the Amazon source.

KitchenAid Artisan 5KTT780BAC 2 Slice Toaster Cream
KitchenAid Artisan 5KTT780BAC 2 Slice Toaster Cream

3.0 out of 5 stars What you can do if you're out of guarantee, 9 Jan 2014
I hope you don't mind me posting on here as this is not strictly speaking a review. Has not anyone heard of the Sale of Goods Act? This act says that if something is unfit for purpose or not of sufficient quality you can get your money back. It has nothing to do with guarantees. It is a duty placed on the seller to supply goods of adequate quality for the purpose for which they are intended. This means that a toaster should last more than 2 years! If the item is out of guarantee write to the seller and tell them that they are responsible for replacement/repairs under the above act and persist when they say they only have to comply with their guarantee. Also mention that if they will not meet their commitments, you will have to say this in your feedback. They will soon find they are prepared to refund or repair your item.

Believe me I have done this with other items; the reputable companies will agree right away. The rest will cave in as soon as you show you are persistent. But be reasonable and polite and don't expect many goods to last more than 5 years.

Sorry to have slightly abused the feedback system, but I hope you will agree it's worth mentioning.

PS I've entered 3 stars as it's the average and will not adversely affect the ratings.

Victorinox Leather Pouch - 5-8 Layer, Black
Victorinox Leather Pouch - 5-8 Layer, Black
Price: 9.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 4 Jan 2014
I've had two of these and they last about 5 years. The leather and stitching looks like it will last forever, but the Velcro gives up and the pouch won't close. You can get a brown one with a press stud closure, I have one, but not used it much as I generally wear a black belt. It does seems to cope better than the Velcro. Why on earth don't they make them in black with a stud closure? All this notwithstanding, a product up to the usual standards of Victorinox. So 4.5 stars (it might look like five).

Sony NP-FW50 Rechargeable battery
Sony NP-FW50 Rechargeable battery
Offered by electronicsnow
Price: 64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This batttery works!, 31 Aug 2013
I have bought and returned a few of these batteries, one of which looked identical to the real thing, but they were all no use on my Sony NEX-6 as it wouldn't recognise them. The problem is, of course, the on board chip in the battery. This does appear to be the genuine article though.

Wolf Comfort Grass Shears
Wolf Comfort Grass Shears
Offered by Hot UK Stuff
Price: 14.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as effective as standard shears, 31 Aug 2013
A nice tool this one. The blades rotate so that you can angle the handle any way that is comfortable. I use it to cut some edges around the fence where the mower doesn't reach. I prefer it to a strimmer as these seem to scalp the grass and are quite aggressive. It seems sturdy, well made and up to Wolf's usual standard. The colour is useful as it's not easy to overlook lying on the lawn.

It does have rather short blades which help to get into tight spaces, but this means that it won't cut thick grass so is more of a trimming tool. I suppose the standard shears would be best for this if you can get low enough to cut with them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2014 10:27 PM BST

2013 Nike Dura Feel Golf Glove Left Hand-Black/Anthracite-Small
2013 Nike Dura Feel Golf Glove Left Hand-Black/Anthracite-Small
Offered by More Sports Outlet
Price: 6.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits well, 31 Aug 2013
I've got smallish hands and this glove fits well in size small. it is a good price but all depends on its durability and given that I seem to go through so many gloves, I will have to see. It has leather like material on all the gripping areas and Lycra to help the fit and ventilation, so it's comfortable. Finally it's black and doesn't show the dirt, like those silly white ones which are so popular.

Spear & Jackson Garden Kneeler
Spear & Jackson Garden Kneeler

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as well finished as you would expect from S & J, 31 Aug 2013
This is a good product in term of it's design, although mine arrived with some of the paint missing and was very stiff to operate. I reckon that this is bought in and given the S&J label as it doesn't appear up to their usual standard. Still, it is sturdy. I found that to help it open and close, it is best to pull the locking bars on the ends out by hand before setting it up from folded or closing it down. It does take up less space than the usual design of unfoldable plastic ones you see around. Reasonably comfortable to kneel on, although perhaps rather narrow. I wouldn't be too sure about sitting on it as it is rather unstable, but I suppose OK with care.

I looked around before getting this one and could find nothing better.

Gardena Comfort Turbo Drive Sprinkler with Spike
Gardena Comfort Turbo Drive Sprinkler with Spike
Offered by Platinum Home and Garden
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a very good job, 31 Aug 2013
I can't comment on the durability of this as I have only had it a matter of months. I got it when I had a lot of turf laid and it was very hot and dry. It is easy to adjust for reach and for the area as it goes from very narrow to 360. It can be linked to another sprinkler, although I haven't done this. I had a problem with the spike as it goes down a long way and my soil is very stony. I solved this by putting it in a flower pot with lots of stones. I perhaps should have got the sled version. It needs to go down as far as the horizontal bar to prevent it leaning over in use.

It seems good value to me and looks sturdy enough if you don't mistreat it.

3M Scotch Up Glue Stick - 7.5g
3M Scotch Up Glue Stick - 7.5g

5.0 out of 5 stars Good but pricey, 31 Aug 2013
This stuff turns paper into a sort of Post-It, however, the glue isn't as strong. It works OK, though and I use it to stick posters together made from A4 sheets. It is easy to align the sheets as you can stick and unstick them until they are in register. I then paste up the back of the poster with stronger glue on strips of paper to hold the whole thing securely. I also use it to attach notices to walls and other hard surfaces, as it is better than BluTac, is very easy to remove and leaves no residue.

It is very hard to obtain and I haven't found any shops who sell it, nor many on line outlets either.

The star ratings are a bit silly as it isn't a toy! Still I give it 5 stars as it works well, but I would only give it 3 stars for value for money.

The Daily Telegraph Dictionary of Tommies' Songs and Slang 1914-18
The Daily Telegraph Dictionary of Tommies' Songs and Slang 1914-18
by John Brophy
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars a worthwhile contribution, 29 Jun 2013
Soldiers songs are puerile, sexist and cruel, but they are also the unexpurgated views of the common man in combat. They are folk history and a real insight into the perspective of those male teenagers we sent out to kill for us. This is especially true of the Great War and this book, heavily bowdlerised as it is (well it was the Daily Telegraph that spawned it), is a faithful and reasonable contemporaneous record. There are better, more accurate and less squeamish sources to this vital history of what was in the tummies’ minds as they slogged along the dusty roads of northern France a century ago, but this is at least an available reference and, as such, to be recommended to us few students of the vernacular life of the lost generation.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6