Profile for Margie > Reviews

Content by Margie

Margie

OUTDOOR GARDEN PLANT GINKGO BILOBA Maidenhair Tree CHINESE PLANT LOVELY 2 YEARS OLD PLANTS SENT IN POT
Offered by Tree Online Nursery
Price: 4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Young healthy tree - great company service!, 15 Jan 2014
I communicated with the seller about this tree and they were very quick to respond and extremely helpful. The tree arrived very carefully wrapped, with the pot additionally wrapped in cling film to ensure it didn't dry out during transport, with a hole in the cling film for the shoot to pass (which measured 20 cm in height, not including the pot). The shoot was carefully tied to a support to avoid damage during transport. When I opened the parcel it also contained some slow-release plant food and an extra tag for when the tree starts to grow and increase the diameter of its shoot. In addition there were very detailed - almost personalised - instructions on how to care for the tree. At the moment it is a little 'twig' with no leaves, but looks very healthy, already with 'buds' along the shoot, ready to bud out once it is established. Am super-pleased with my purchase!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Vitamin E COMPLEX, read on..., 27 Aug 2013
Once a Physician Assistant in the USA told me that more than 600 iu of Vitamin E is associated with cancer. Before that, someone had told me that the standard "Vitamin E" you buy in supermarkets usually consists only of alpha-tocopherol but that there are several other 'tocopherols' which constitute Vitamin E and taking only alpha-tocopherol actually inibits uptake of/blocks the other tocopherols, resulting in a kind of partial Vitamin E deficiency. Maybe this is the reason for the cancer association - lack of vital antioxidants through saturating your system only with alpha-tocopherol. True or not, this is my adopted hypothesis, and the reason why I am buying Vitamin E COMPLEX (= mixed tocopherols) as opposed to straight 'Vitamin E' (=only alpha-tocopherol). It comes in a healthy glass bottle (no plastic) and I put a few drops on my salad as part of my salad dressing. Much prefer the liquid form (as opposed to capsules). This way it feels really like a food supplement instead of 'medication'.

Solgar SFP Ginko Biloba Leaf Extract - 60 Vegicaps
Solgar SFP Ginko Biloba Leaf Extract - 60 Vegicaps
Offered by united care
Price: 22.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I love vegicaps, 27 Aug 2013
I am a fan of supplements in vegetable capsules: I mean, why go to all the trouble of taking supplements when the capsules they are contained in might not be that healthy after all? This was the reason for buying the vegicaps (=cellulose) version of Ginkgo biloba. The capsules come in glass jar - again healthier than a plastic tub. It is written on the side of the jar that the capsules are free of sugar, salt, corn, yeast, wheat, soy, gluten, dairy or animal products, so should be suitable for people with sensitivities. I haven't started taking them properly yet, so can't comment on efficacy (am currently using the Ginkgo tincture).

SOLGAR - CAP. ESCUTELLARIA 520mg Solgar
SOLGAR - CAP. ESCUTELLARIA 520mg Solgar
Offered by Ultimate Health
Price: 9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars New hope for neurodegenerative diseases, 27 Aug 2013
I bought this ('Baikal skullcap') for a relative with Lewy Body dementia, as the baicalein in the root extract contained in the capsules has been reported to induce dissolution of the deposits in the neurons which form in this disease (should also work with Alzheimer's). Ideally I wanted her to take the capsules whole, which was why I specifically bought this 'vegicaps' product, thinking the capsules are healthier than standard bovine gelatin capsules. Unfortunately due to her condition the contents are better given mixed with food but the capsules can be opened no problem.

Swanson NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine) 600mg, 100 Capsules
Swanson NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine) 600mg, 100 Capsules
Offered by iShopNutrition
Price: 6.65

5.0 out of 5 stars New hope for endometriosis, 27 Aug 2013
I bought this because I read a scientific article about a clinical trial with women with endometriosis who were given 600mg N-acetyl cysteine 3x per day, 3 consecutive days per week for 3 months, and, in brief, symptoms markedly improved. As I had a lot of bloating and pain for many years which might be endometriosis, I tried it out and have found it really helps. The capsule shells are made of gelatine, though, so I empty the contents onto a small amount of water and drink it once it has dissolved a bit. The only problem with this is that it has a not very appealing taste which is difficult to describe and after taking it for over 1 day I felt 'saturated' with the stuff, so reduced the dose to 2 capsules per day, which still works. (The instructions on the side of the tub recommend 1 capsule for day, but this is obviously meant for 'general health' and not specifically for endometriosis treatment).

Slazenger Boyleg Swimsuit Ladies Navy/Teal 12 (M)
Slazenger Boyleg Swimsuit Ladies Navy/Teal 12 (M)
Offered by Sports Direct
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Covers all in a supportive, sporty way!, 27 Aug 2013
I've forgotten how many times I've reordered this swimsuit, but it's just brilliant. I love its sporty style - it is comfortable and supportive (supportive for the bust and the boylegs cover everything without being restrictive to swimming). I am a size 10/12 and previously had always bought size 10's. This time I bought a size 12 and have found it not to degrade as quickly due to the chlorine in the pool (bigger size - less stretching). Have had black up to now but the navy one is also very nice.

Ginkgo Tincture 100ml, 1:2@25%, Certified Organic
Ginkgo Tincture 100ml, 1:2@25%, Certified Organic
Offered by Fushi Wellbeing - UK's Leading Ethical Wellbeing and Beauty Brand
Price: 8.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Mentally alert - forever young!, 27 Aug 2013
You can buy Gingko biloba capsules in Boots but I like this product because it is in liquid (alcohol) form so is really easy and versatile to use - in fact I am using now it as part of my salad dressing. Ginkgo biloba is meant to improve memory but has also been reported to activate telomerases - the enzymes that stop our chromosomes getting shorter every time our cells divide. The end effect of this is that Ginkgo biloba should slow down ageing. Well, since taking it, I don't look any younger, but I do feel a bit more alert and better able to concentrate when people are talking to me, instead of drifting off into never never land...

Swanson Chinese Scullcap (400mg, 90 Capsules)
Swanson Chinese Scullcap (400mg, 90 Capsules)
Offered by healthmonthly-uk
Price: 8.04

4.0 out of 5 stars New hope for neurodegenerative diseases?, 27 Aug 2013
The capsules contain a powder from the root of Scutellarta baicalensis - 'Baikal/Chinese skullcap'. Despite the fact that it says 'Liver wellness' on the tub, I ordered these for a relative with Lewy body dementia. Take a look at this scientific article: "Flavones from the root of Scutellaria baicalensis Geogi: drugs of the future in neurodegeneration?" (CNS Neurol Drug Targets. 2011 Mar; 10(2):184-91). The root contains several substances that inhibit protein aggregation in neurons and also promote regeneration of neurons, and could be useful in Alzheimer's and Lewy Body disease. I have been giving it to my relative, together with Ginkgo biloba, as a food supplement, (admittedly at only one sixth of the recommended dose) for over 1 month and my feeling is that she has become 'sharper' and her ability to hold and move objects has improved. As yet, however, there is no noticeable improvement in her permanent leg spasm. I have not noticed any adverse side effects, except maybe that she is a little more 'cranky' at not being mobile enough, but I feel this is more a sign of improved mental state and improved awareness of her surroundings. Unfortunately I am currently not able to visit often enough to give a higher dose. I would recommend it as 'worth a try' for anyone with a neurodegenerative disease involving amyloid and alpha synuclein accumulation in neurons. The only thing I didn't like about the capsules is that the shell is made from gelatin (bovine gelatin???), but they can be opened and the powder sprinkled onto food.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Covers grey, doesn't stain skin, 24 Feb 2012
I must admit that I was dubious about whether an 'organic' style hair dye was likely to cover my very extensive grey hair. I had tried various other so-called 'dark brown' organic dyes before and ended up with orange hair (!!!).
However, the Dark Brown Surya Henna Brasil Cream Hair Colour was something else: The first time I used it (due to my previous disappointing experiences with other 'natural' dyes) I left it on for 3 hours (instead of the recommended 1 hour). As usual, during dying (despite the handy little elasticated bonnet and gloves provided) I splashed the dye around, got it on my forehead, shoulders, hands, arms etc. and thought I will have to wait a good few days before the dye wears off my skin. However, the result was (1) an amazing grey coverage for my hair - all dark brown! and (2) no staining on my skin after washing it off. It is now 2 weeks since I applied the dye. Since washing my hair in the meantime I noticed the brown colour coming out into the water but my hair has still remained brown. The colour looks natural, maybe has a hint of a subtle reddish tint as it fades. I feel very pleased to finally be able to switch to a more natural hair dye, especially after reading science reports on an association between chemical hair dyes and lymphoma. I would certainly recommend it, but as yet cannot make any comments on the result if left on for the recommended time of only 1 hour.