Profile for B J Burton > Reviews

5m Food Grade Hose - Caravan / Motorhome / Boat 12mm 1/2" - non toxic hosepipe
5m Food Grade Hose - Caravan / Motorhome / Boat 12mm 1/2" - non toxic hosepipe
Offered by Big White Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Srong but flexible, 10 Jun. 2015
Excellent quality, strong, but very flexible. My only regret is in not buying a longer one. I've already been on a couple of campsites with a one-way system where the motorhome service point is on the wrong side for us. The 7.5m one would have been perfect.

Beneath the Boards
Beneath the Boards

4.0 out of 5 stars "Scretch, scretch, scretch.", 2 Jun. 2015
I’ve read and enjoyed the horror/ghost stories by this author that are set in Victorian times. This one is set in current times and the impact is all the greater because of it. The thought that this may all be happening, right now, in a house not far away, makes the horror more intensely disturbing.
A young man with a failed marriage behind him has to retire from the police on medical grounds suffering PTSD-driven hallucinations after receiving serious injuries. He tries to start a new life by buying a run-down country cottage. The scattering of locals make him welcome, but as he starts the renovations he is troubled not only by his own past, but by a sensed history of evil within the cottage.
Are we witnessing at close hand his descent into madness, or is he uncovering past deeds of dreadful horror?
This is written with a vividness that forces sights, sounds and smells into the reader’s senses. Those who have already read it will know what I mean when I say that I’m having difficulty shifting from my brain, “Skretch, scretch, scretch.”
Recommended – if you think you are strong enough.

Top Banana
Top Banana

4.0 out of 5 stars A tasty morsel, 20 May 2015
This review is from: Top Banana (Kindle Edition)
This came as a welcome relief after the last three books I’d read proved such heavy going that I’d given up on each of them.
No such problem here. This is the third book I’ve read by this author and although they are very different, they have something in common; they are all well written. The writing flows smoothly, introducing well-formed characters and carrying the reader through plot developments in an undemanding way.
This is the story of 24-year-old Steve, an under-achiever still living with his parents – and therein lies his problem. His mother controls his life rigidly, routinely undermining his self-confidence as if any sign of success on his part would be a personal affront. But things change when Steve is bitten by a tropical spider, an event that has a curious effect on his attitude to life.
Will his new attitude enable him to escape his mother’s control and turn his life around? How will his mother, and his put-upon father, react? You’ll have to read the book to find out. In doing so you will find that this is a pleasing tale told with humour that at times verges on farcical slapstick, but below the layer of humour there’s a warm empathetic understanding of human relationships.

Deep Water, Thin Ice
Deep Water, Thin Ice

5.0 out of 5 stars Murderous mayhem in Devon, 8 Mar. 2015
I really enjoyed this book: so much so that I was sorry to reach the end. I’m not at all surprised that other reviewers have reacted similarly. I see that one described it as a love story, and so it is – but it’s also so much more. The cast of convincing characters, led by a vulnerable young widow, are beset by a psychopath, the unravelling of an unsavoury family history, injustice, sexual deviancy and a haunting. All this is cleverly set against the contrasting background of a peaceful Devon village and the nurturing of a new nature reserve. Highly recommended.

Silent Faces, Painted Ghosts
Silent Faces, Painted Ghosts

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, authentic and enjoyable., 17 Dec. 2014
I found this well-written novel most enjoyable. It’s a current-day tale of human relationships: sometimes loving, sometimes jealous, sometimes violent. There’s a strong cast of well-drawn characters and the world of the reclusive, but famous, portrait painter felt authentic. The central character is driven by the basic human need to belong and to feel at peace. It all takes place under the shadow of a past tragic event, the truth of which slowly emerges.
The Provence setting is captured beautifully; I could smell the lavender and feel the mistral blowing through what’s left of my hair.
It’s a satisfying read.

All Cornwall Thunders at My Door: A Biography of Charles Causley
All Cornwall Thunders at My Door: A Biography of Charles Causley
by Laurence Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing that this is the first biography of Causley., 27 Aug. 2014
Causley was undoubtedly one of our finest poets and this meticulously researched biography is a must have for anyone who enjoys his work. Events from the poet's life are described alongside extracts from the poems, so if you've ever pondered the significance of any particular imagery created by Causley then you may well find the answer here. The author has had access to the poet's diaries and other personal records in the creation of this first biography. The resuIt is a fine biography from someone who clearly admires and respects his subject, but who hasn't avoided tackling the potentially difficult areas of Causley's life.

Message in a Bottle
Message in a Bottle

4.0 out of 5 stars Message to me - don't assume anything., 7 July 2014
I have to say that this novella is not of a genre that I would usually choose. I’d read and enjoyed another novella by this author and spotted this one being discussed on a couple of book forums. The brief blurb persuaded me to splash out 99p, but then I found that this is the sort of relationship story that I imagine fills the pages of women’s magazines and really not my sort of thing.
Guess what – I surprised myself and enjoyed it.
The writing flows smoothly along making this an easy, undemanding read with convincing characters and an absorbing storyline. Maybe I should be subscribing to womags.

The Magical Tragical Life of Edward Jarvis Huggins
The Magical Tragical Life of Edward Jarvis Huggins
by Stuart Ayris

5.0 out of 5 stars More Ayris magic., 4 July 2014
Here we have a fine collection of characters: some heroes, some villains, but mainly people doing what we all do – getting through life as best we can. A supernatural element runs through it and we are led to a finish that is signposted at various stages in the book. When the expected end duly arrives there was no sense of anti-climax; instead I nodded with approval and thought, ‘Yes, that’s how it had to be.’
If you haven’t yet read a Stuart Ayris book then I urge you to do so. But you need to set aside any preconceptions about what a novel ought to be, then relax and let the author take you on an adventure where you will laugh, cry and sing – possibly all at the same time.
Both the author’s exuberance and his concern for his fellow man shine through. If the precise word that he needs doesn’t exist, either for meaning or to simply sound right in the context, then he creates a new one – and we know instinctively just what it means. He breaks away from the storyline to have personal chats with the reader. Although this tale is set in 18th century England, lines from 20th century songs appear. This may sound like chaotic literary anarchy, but it’s hugely entertaining. In amongst the humour and pathos are very perceptive comments on what is generally referred to as the human condition.
It’s a unique style and one that really works for this reader.

The Devine Legacy
The Devine Legacy

4.0 out of 5 stars A satisfying read., 11 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Devine Legacy (Kindle Edition)
Any book described as a ‘romantic novella’ would normally have me running in the opposite direction, but every now and again I like to challenge my own prejudices. In reading this book I didn’t really think I was taking too much of a chance as I’ve read several of Jennifer Hanning’s books and enjoyed them all.
This proved to be no exception. It’s a warm, insightful, nicely-crafted examination of personal relationships within and across the generations with some thought-provoking consideration of how those relationships may be affected by changes in attitudes and ambitions brought about by the unexpected arrival of money and the re-emergence of people from our past lives.
It’s a satisfying read with a last-minute twist.

Ravenfold
Ravenfold

4.0 out of 5 stars Scarcely a word wasted., 11 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Ravenfold (Kindle Edition)
I often don’t enjoy books of novella length, but I enjoyed this one – possibly because it has the feel of a big book. We find big characters, convincing locations and a strong storyline taking place in a medieval period that feels historically authentic.
It’s a classic tale of injustice arising from the brutal abuse of power, with a few shocks along the way. The ingredients are sufficient to form the basis of a full-length novel, so at novella length we have a taut piece of writing with scarcely a word wasted and an original approach to the narration style. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2