Profile for John Cavanagh > Reviews

Content by John Cavanagh

John Cavanagh (Glasgow Scotland)

Houdini Heart
Houdini Heart
by Ki Longfellow
Price: 8.28

5.0 out of 5 stars True suspense and gripping with every turn of a page!, 21 Sep 2011
This review is from: Houdini Heart (Paperback)
I discovered Ki Longfellow's writings through being a llifelong admirer of her late husband, Vivian Stanshall. This novel takes Longfellow down a new path and shows what a versatile and original writer she is. The story is told by one "voice" - a woman whose name the reader does not learn, yet one who becomes an instantly tangible character, as does the strange house which fascinated her as a child and which she has now run back to. There are references to the likes of Alfred Hitchcock within, and there's no doubt in my mind that Houdini Heart would make a fine film, but surely a classic scary tale like this will always work best when the scenes are played out in the mind of the reader. I have no reservation in giving this book five stars.

Price: 8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone alive should hear this, 22 July 2003
I discovered Colleen through a debut 7" single release on the French Active Suspension label. Soon I was playing this disc repeatedly, caught up in a mesmerizing soundworld and - I don't use the word lightly - longing to hear more.
This album does exactly what I had hoped in extending the range of tones and textures without losing the purity of the tracks I already knew.
To listen to Everyone Alive Wants Answers is, I have found, to venture into an evocative realm, triggering long forgotten visual memory. Some of the titles suggest specific atmospheres... pre-dawn journeys through urban Paris and the subterreanea of the Metro, for example... but you don't need a programmatic guide to enjoy this music. The sweep of sound ranges from celeste and woodwind to intense fuzzy guitar, a young childs voice and exotic twangling instruments which hum about your ears. Some of this is redolent of 1960's analogue tape loop minimalists in the way that the sound conveys a warmth and intimacy, which is lacking in so much current and rather glacial electronic music.
An album I'm sure I'll be drawn back to for a very long time.

Price: 8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding first album, 11 July 2003
I discovered Colleen through a debut 7" single release on the French Active Suspension label. Soon I found myself playing this disc repeatedly, caught up in a mesmerizing soundworld and - I don't use the word lightly - longing to hear more.
This album does exactly what I'd hoped in extending the range of tones and textures without losing the purity of the tracks I knew.
To listen to Everyone Alive wants Answers is, I have found, to venture into an evocative realm, triggering long forgotten visual memory. Some of the titles suggest specific atmospheres... pre-dawn journeys through urban Paris and the subterreanea of the Metro, for example... but you don't need any programmatic guide to enjoy this music. The sweep of sound ranges from celeste, harp and woodwind to intense, fuzzy guitar, a young childs voice and exotic twangling instruments which hum about your ears.
Some of this is redolent of 1960's analogue tape-loop minimalists in the way that warmth and intimacy is captured, qualities often missing from much digitized and rather glacial electronic music. An album I'm sure I'll be drawn back to for a very long time.