Profile for ads > Reviews

At Last
At Last
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic cd from Phyllis Pastore, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: At Last (Audio CD)
Fantastic cd from Phyllis Pastore. I saw her at the Piano Bar in Mykonos in 2010, and this cd is a great reminder of my nights there listening to her singing with David Dyer at the piano. Her version of At Last is first class, and Maybe Next Time written by Bob Bendorff is a hidden gem of a song.

Wanderlust
Wanderlust

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning and beautiful album!, 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: Wanderlust (Audio CD)
This is quite simply a beautiful collection of songs. I love her dance / electronic music, but I've been wanting her to make a stripped down, experimental album which focusses on live instruments for quite a while now as her voice is so unique. The new single Young Blood is gorgeous and completely unexpected, and with only 10 songs plus an interlude this album is quality over quantity - no fillers here.
Will be interesting to see how she mixes the new songs with her older dance stuff on her tour later this year.

Hope this does well, as it deserves it as this is a quality album, and I've always thought she's under-appreciated and underrated compared to other artists that seem to sell a lot more albums.

Mdna World Tour
Mdna World Tour
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic audio from an amazing tour!, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Mdna World Tour (Audio CD)
Okay, so the blu-ray release has had some problems which hopefully will be sorted soon, but I have just purchased the audio download from Amazon and I have to say that it is absolutely brilliant! No problems here. Audio is loud, clear and crisp, and it's nice to hear her live vocals haven't been overdubbed like on Sticky and Sweet, and the audio is the full show. Masterpiece, Like A Virgin and Love Spent sound particularly good, also loving, Vogue, I'm Addicted, I'm a Sinner, well the entire show to be honest.

Some reviews have commented on her over processed vocals on the first few songs - to me they sounded like this when I was at the show anyway, she was either miming these or using a vocodor, and if saw the show you'd understand that no one can dance and sing 100% live for two hours.

This is my favorite audio out of the last few Madonna releases as it sounds like a live show. The crowd may sound a bit loud and over the top during some songs, but overall this is a great audio and takes me back to my shows last year.

Only negative thing is the audio is directly from the dvd, and they have left on the muffled noises from under the stage in the dressing rooms which is at the start and end of the concert - we didn't need these on the cd! Also, the crowd sing-a-long during Like A Prayer. It was great live, and looks nice to see her interacting with the crowd on the dvd, but slightly ruins the audio as none of the audience can sing! They could have included an audio from another show where she didn't let them sing as much.

Apart from that, I can see myself listening to this a lot. Now can someone sort that blu-ray out.

Mdna World Tour [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Mdna World Tour [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Madonna

3.0 out of 5 stars Picture grainy and poor sound for a blu-ray., 11 Sep 2013
I saw this show live twice last year in Birmingham and Nice and it was fantastic. One of my favourite tours she's done. I really liked the majority of the MDNA album, so didn't mind her including a lot of new material in the show, or re-invented versions of her older songs - that's why I see every tour, because it's always different to the last.

Anyway, onto the blu-ray. I bought a blu-ray player a few months back, thinking this show would look amazing. Impressed by other blu-ray concerts I'd watched, I was really looking forward to this but sadly it's a huge disappointment.

I can cope with the lower quality footage of different audiences which have been mixed into the concert. It gives it a documentary / flash-back feel, and makes it feel more personal to other Madonna releases. There's also lots of intentional continuity issues as many different shows are used. Again, I can live with that. Another plus is her voice which also sounds live throughout most of the show, and isn't overdubbed like on the S&S dvd/blu-ray (beautiful on Masterpiece, Like A Virgin and Love Spent), although I think a number of songs, particular in the first section were mimed or sang with a vocoder.

However, what really lets this down is the picture quality which is poor for a blu-ray. Nearly all of the songs have this fine grain over the top. Surely this wasn't intentional? The sound is also questionable, seems to be all over the place, and not crystal clear like it should be. And I know, this hasn't anything to do with the concert, but the covert artwork - is that the best they could come up with?

Amazon very kindly sent me a replacement copy when I contacted them, but it's exactly the same. So either there is a faulty batch of blu-rays which have been released, or Madonna's team have cobbled this together sloppily and not bothered to check it. The Japanese television broadcast was a lot clearer so something's up.

Victoria Wood - As Seen on TV [DVD]
Victoria Wood - As Seen on TV [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. There's been nothing like it since!, 22 Dec 2010
This dvd can always been relied on to cheer me up, even though I must have now watched most of the sketches at least a dozen times each. Unlike most modern sketch shows which rely on repetitive catch phrases and the same characters and jokes every single week, As Seen On TV brought us different characters throughout both series, and only a few such as Kitty, Margery and Joan, Kelly Marie (an early Vicky Pollard) and Gail and Carl appear more than once. The only re-occuring sketch each week is the brilliant Acorn Antiques and the continuity links from the fantastic Susie Blake "Don't sit too close to the screen or I might poke you in the eye". The spoof documentaries are also way ahead of there time, and it's quite obvious as to wear inspiration for The Office came from.

There are a few dodgy sketches and jokes, and a couple of songs which don't quite fit in. "Go Away" is particularly cringe worthy, as are ome of Victoria's outfits and hair styles, but the sheer brilliance of the rest means that this still deserves five stars.

If I had to pick my top 10 sketches, I'd probably choose:

In The Office. "Oh no. her ears are in the wrong place for a polo neck"
Self Service. "Don't touch the gateau. I just saw her scratching her armpit with the cake slice."
Shoe Shop. "We think we've got hens in the skirting board."
Bingo Hall. "Well, we've got a full house since Bill come home. Don't go shouting about it."
Coronation Street. "Put a pikelet in it Martha Longhurst and you might hear something to your own advantage."
Kitty. "All this in a voice loud enough to blow the froth off a Horlicks two tables away."
Flatmates Documentary. "Well I'll squeeze the washing-up liquid but I can't see why I should get it out of the cupboard!"
Mrs Overall's death scene in Acorn Antiques "She's choking on her own macaroon!"
The Shopping Song "I've walked the length and breadth of every floor, and there's not one beige candlewich pedestal mat in this whole darn store".
The Chippy Song. "Where the salt stings and the vinegar is drippy."

Just typing these make me laugh, and I could probably list a lot more. Buy it now!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2012 5:49 PM BST

The Victoria Wood Collection [DVD]
The Victoria Wood Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Victoria Wood

2.0 out of 5 stars Great comedy, but a completely pointless release., 19 Oct 2010
I e-mailed 2entertain early in the year asking what the posibility of releasing Victoria Wood Live In Your Own Home and Victoria Wood's All Day Breakast on dvd were. They replied telling me that they were working on a boxset featuring these titles. However, this 7 disc boxset release they've come up with is a complete waste of time if you ask me. Everything on it is already available on dvd except for Live In Your Own Home, which is also getting a separate release, and which isn't even the full show which was previously released on vhs! As for All Day Breakfast, I'm guessing this is never gong to see the light of day now.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2010 6:34 PM GMT

Victoria Wood - Live in Your Own Home [DVD]
Victoria Wood - Live in Your Own Home [DVD]
Offered by Springwood Media

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant performance, shame it's not the complete show!, 24 Aug 2010
I remember watching this 50 minute special for the first time on BBC1 on Christmas Day in 1994, following which I bought the video release shortly after which was extended to 80 minutes. It's a great performance, but apparantly BBC 2entertain only have the master copy of the 50 minute version, so the additional 30 minutes which was available on the vhs release will remain unreleased on dvd. Therefore I think I'll pass on this release and find a way to convert my vhs release to dvd.

The description of this show is also misleading. It says it features Julie Walters and Duncan Preston. Well, yes, they are watching in the studio audience, but they don't actually do anything.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2013 9:44 AM GMT

An Audience With Victoria Wood Special Edition [DVD]
An Audience With Victoria Wood Special Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ David G Hillier

5.0 out of 5 stars The best stand up performance ever!, 19 May 2010
If you've only just discovered Victoria Wood then this is the one standup performance of hers you need to see first. Of course, her other live dvds such as At the Albert Hall and Live 1997 are just as brilliant, but there's just something about this An Audience With performance from 1988 which makes it such an iconic stand up performance. I heard somewhere that Wood was quite nervous filming this as she could see everyone's faces in the audience, compared to standing on a dark stage in a theatre. If this is true though, her nervousness meant she delivered one of her best performances ever, and the audience throughout the show are in complete fits.

What I also like about this An Audience With is that there isn't too much focuss on all the celebrities in the audience. Wood answers a few questions at the start of the show, but the rest of the show is just her and a piano, of which Barry and Freda is performed at the end of the show, reducing the audience into a complete state of delirium by then.

There's also some great character monologues such as a woman trying to get volunteers in a department store to try out some new cosmetics: "Maroon is back with a right vengance this season. Eyes are popping out whilst lips are receeding",

The market research woman, "I do look rather startled don't I. My I.D picture was taken in a photo booth and someone had just poked an eclair through the curtain".

And of course the geek in the orange beret always looking for her friend Kimberley, "Red cabbage, how much!!".

The four bonus interviews are also a nice addition to the dvd. Now please release Sold Out and Live In Your Own Home on dvd before my videos wear out completely.

Sticky and Sweet: Live [CD & DVD]
Sticky and Sweet: Live [CD & DVD]
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Great show, shame about the vocal editing!, 29 Mar 2010
I saw this show live three times, and have been looking forward to this for 18 months. The show is brilliantly filmed with an amazing audience in Argentina. It's also one of Madonna's more energetic and fun tours after the darkness of Drowned Word, Re-invention and Confessions. Hard Candy may not have been one of her best albums, but the live performances of the new songs have been beefed up for the show, and songs such as Candy Shop and Spanish Lesson sound much better than on the album. The dvd also contains a great 30 minute documentary and the packaging is well designed.
Now for the negative points. The majority of the show has unfortunately been ruined by way to much editing to Madonna's voice. I saw the show live, and despite using a few backing tracks and having two backing singers, she did sing live for virtually every song. I can only recall Give It 2 Me been partially mimed as it was the last song and the dancing was non stop.
Sadly, the vocals on the dvd have been edited in such a way, that the live feel has been stripped from the show, and it almost comes across as a mimed Britney show. It's hardly going to stop people like Elton John from slagging her off as a live performer. Some songs are okay though, You Must Love Me and Don't Cry For Me Argentina sound fantastic, proving she can sing, but others such as Human Nature, Heartbeat and Borderline sound completely fake. I know Madonna's not the best live singer, but there was no need to edit her voice this much!
The live cd is also a bit of a let down (just like I'm Going To Tell You A Secret and Confessions Tour). More tracks could easily have been included. The Gypsy section also flows extremely badly, and it's obviously where certain songs have been cut out.
All in all, whoever put this together did a poor job with the audio, and has spoiled what was a great show.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2011 1:21 AM BST

Sticky & Sweet
Sticky & Sweet
by Guy Oseary

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than Confessions!!, 16 Mar 2010
This review is from: Sticky & Sweet (Hardcover)
This book is well worth £20.00, compared to her £25.00 tour programs. The pictures are loads better than the Confessions book, loads of amazing crowd shots as well as pictures from backstage, rehearsals and after show parties.

It's also not heavily airbrushed and is a great reminder of the tour if you saw it several times like I did. The paper is a bit thin compared to Confessions but if you handle it with care it won't be a problem. All author proceeds are donated to Raising Malawi too.

Page: 1 | 2