Profile for S. Mann > Reviews

Content by S. Mann

S. Mann "s mann" (essex, england)

Building a Character (Performance Books)
Building a Character (Performance Books)
by Constantin Stanislavski

4.0 out of 5 stars Stanislavski, 6 Sep 2009
The three books by Stanislavski - "Building A Character", "Creating A Role" and especially "An Actor Prepares" are all known around the world as invaluable acting handbooks. But they're not for the faint-hearted!
They will need reading and re-reading. I still haven't finished them and i've had them a long time now!
But they offer fantastic techniques, advice and ideas that really are invaluable to actors everywhere. I would fully recommend these to anyone seriously involved in their A level or AS level Drama studies, because Stanislavski's pretty important to us!
But be prepared to have your brain taxed, and maybe have a slightly lighter, more "trashy" book to hand for when your brain just needs a rest :-p

How To Stop Worrying And Start Living (Personal Development)
How To Stop Worrying And Start Living (Personal Development)
by Dale Carnegie

4.0 out of 5 stars so far so good :), 6 Sep 2009
I've only read the first 1 or 2 sections of this book so far, as i've been swept off my feet with work and other commitments. Yes yes, "commmitments". And do you know what? They're hardly worrying me at all!
I was the worst for worrying. I still am quite bad. But this book is really improving my outlook on things. It's easy to understand, uses real-life case studies and summarises points at the end of chapters.
Welcoming a new, less-worrying, happier, calmer me into this world! :)