Profile for P. Kirby > Reviews

HI-CRAFT ORIGINAL DOG CAR SAFETY HARNESS Size Medium
HI-CRAFT ORIGINAL DOG CAR SAFETY HARNESS Size Medium
Offered by Urban Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. The best dog car harness by far., 18 Feb. 2015
This is one of the best things I have ever bought for my dog. It has been in regular use for well over 10 years and is still going strong. A friend's dog has recently started joining us for our walks, so I have just bought one for him too. There are 2 great things about this Hi-Craft harness that distinguish it from other products (e.g. the Pets At Home version, which I have also tried and is absolutely useless: a danger to both your dog and your car). First, you don't have to thread your car seat belt through the loop on the harness, as there is a clip on the loop which you just release, allowing you to loop the harness round the seat belt. Infinitely less fiddly and - more importantly - you don't wreck your seat belt in the process. And secondly, the connector between the harness itself and the loop that you clip round the seat belt SWIVELS a full 360 degrees, over and over again, if necessary - which means your dog can turn, twist, lie down, get up again, wriggle etc, without getting himself horribly tangled up. Again, this protects your seat belt, but it also protects your dog from injury.
I really can't recommend this harness highly enough. My dog used to be nervous in the car, but is much happier with the harness on. And, having had to brake hard a few times over the years, I can confirm that it really does work when you need it to. It's also fully adjustable, which means you don't need to worry too much about sizing - if you think your dog is approx medium-sized, you'll probably be able to adjust this harness to fit him comfortably. This really is a first class product, and excellent value for money too.

The Winter Guest [DVD]
The Winter Guest [DVD]
Dvd ~ Phyllida Law

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, poetic, exquisite, 6 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Winter Guest [DVD] (DVD)
This is a simply beautiful film: atmospheric, gentle, emotional, poetic: it really is like watching a poem, filmed.

Emma Thompson and Phyllida Law are every bit as good as you'd expect them to be, but the other performances are pitch-perfect too, from the funeral-hopping elderly ladies to the truanting schoolboys. And you'll be hard pushed to find a better portrayal of teenage first love. Love, loss, grief, loneliness, desire: the film captures them all.

The film set has won awards, and rightly so. Your fingers will tingle with the cold and you will smell the frost in the air.

Alan Rickman has directed a gem of a film. I found myself almost holding my breath as I watched it, and still thinking about it long after it had finished.

Womens Roll Necks Ladies Jumpers Long Knitted Polo Neck Jumper Dress By Love Lola Fine Knit (M 12, Navy)
Offered by Love Lola

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous fit, looks great, 6 Nov. 2014
So delighted with this when it arrived that I immediately ordered another one in a different colour.
Fits perfectly and is well made.
I particularly like the proper polo neck: quite often the neck on these things is stingy, more like a turtle neck, but this one is generous.
It is a fairly lightweight material but not cold to the touch, as some of them can be; and it feels pleasantly cosy on.
I wouldn't dream of wearing it as a dress myself (too old for that look!), but it looks absolutely fabulous over jeans or even a skirt.
It was dispatched on the day I ordered it and arrived the day after, so I can't fault the service either.
A really very good buy, and excellent value for money.

Who Pays the Ferryman? (1977) (DVD)
Who Pays the Ferryman? (1977) (DVD)
Dvd ~ Jack Hedley
Offered by bestmediagroup

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious spoof action drama. Oh wait - it's NOT a spoof?, 1 Sept. 2012
I have just finished watching this and have been enormously entertained by it.

It's not JUST the fact that acting styles have moved on a lot since 1977 and having actors perform an appropriate gesture for each word in every sentence now seems incredibly hammy - you know the kind of thing: "I'd [points to self] be SO [looks wistful] glad [looks glad] if you'd [points to him] sit down [points to sofa] and make yourself comfortable [raises eyebrows archly]"; nor is it the frankly rather disturbing sight of Jack Hedley in tight, very short shorts and shirts open to his navel.

It's bad for reasons that must surely ALWAYS have been bad, even back in 1977, when it was made. For one thing, the plot is just ludicrous, and as for the characters: well, suffice it to say, the baddies (and boy, whoever wrote it obviously thinks there is no shortage of baddies on Crete) would make pantomime villains seem nuanced. For starters there's the heroine's black-haired, black-eyed, black-moustachioed steward who wants her to marry him but is rejected because her heart's been set all aflutter by Jack Hedley's shorts, and who, from then on, regularly pops up at the end of scenes, always dressed fully in black of course, and glowering malevolently at our hero and heroine. I think we know where that's going, don't we? Assuming we've managed to resist yelling "He's behiiiiiiind you" at the TV screen, we now move on to the Cretan heroine's Cretan mother, who is so Cretanly outraged at the idea of her Cretan daughter getting romantically involved with a non-Cretan foreigner in Crete that she (literally, mind) calls upon the Cretan gods to give her Cretan vengeance, and then Cretanly commissions the Cretan steward - yes, he of the black clothes and the black looks - to murder the non-Cretan intruder for not being Cretan.

So that's all nice and credible, then.

But we still haven't plumbed the depths of why it doesn't work and surely never could have done. It is COMPLETELY miscast. Stuffy and understated Jack Hedley playing the stuffy and understated Senior British Officer in Colditz was one thing. I could buy that. No over-short shorts, for one thing. But stuffy and understated (and, it turns out, not very agile) Jack Hedley playing a 1970s action hero, getting sucked into his own personal vendetta and scrambling over Cretan mountains like a slightly arthritic goat while clutching a high-powered rifle and suddenly attired in World War II army gear (not necessarily the most obvious clothing to pack for a holiday in Crete, you might think) is quite another. And if you think that sounds bad, I'm afraid I now have to ask you to contemplate worse. For stuffy and understated Jack Hedley is also required to seduce the heroine, and we are subjected to several scenes of the two of them in bed together, with her frozen like a Parthenon statue and him lying on top of her like a sack of potatoes. This, we are asked to believe, is sex of the most torrid kind. Personally, I'm more inclined to put it down to the deleterious effects of middle-aged men wearing overtight shorts.

Having checked Jack Hedley's Wikipedia entry (it's no good, I couldn't help myself: have I mentioned his shorts?), I gather that production of the series was rather overcast by the fact that, in real life, Jack Hedley and the actress playing the heroine had a serious 'personality clash'. Which must have made things tricky, since the entire premise of the whole sorry series is that the two of them are irresistibly drawn together by an irresistible attraction that's just irresistible. Still, I guess it accounts for the potatoes.

In all seriousness, if unintentionally hilarious drama is your thing, Who Pays The Ferryman? will be your thing. Catchy theme tune too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2013 12:15 PM BST

All That I Am
All That I Am
by Anna Funder

4.0 out of 5 stars More than repays the effort required to get into it, 12 Jun. 2012
This review is from: All That I Am (Paperback)
Well, I initially gave up on this book when I was about a tenth of the way through. I found it heavy-going and self-consciously written, and I didn't care enough about the characters to want to keep going.

But something niggled at me, drawing me back, telling me to give it another go, so I did - and I am so glad I did.

It is true that it is not an easy book to get into. It is true, in my opinion, that, until the author gets into her stride (which does take a little while), it feels a bit clunky, as if we are being forced to watch the machinery at work. It is also true that, for me, the two narrators, Ruth and Toller, didn't sound sufficiently different from each other: their voices were very similar, with the result that, when they were both reminiscing about the same characters in the period, it was easy to lose track of which of them was doing the reminiscing.

However, having read it all the way through now, I would urge others not to be put off by these things because it is still a hugely powerful, moving and humane book (and it does also take off quite dramatically once you reach Part II). One of the challenges for both reader and author is perhaps that Funder is writing about an era and a historical situation that is not as widely understood, and therefore has none of the shortcuts to our sympathy and imagination that a story set, say, during the war or even in pre-war Germany would have had. But that's one of the reasons why the book IS worth reading: it takes us into a lesser-known world and provides a different perspective on the by-now highly familiar world of Nazi power and brutality (also, it has to be said, a different and less flattering perspective on the attitude of the British authorities to refugees from Germany before the war). And it is based on reality, a true story. The central characters really existed, really were persecuted, really did have to face this fear and this trauma, really did lead these lives of quiet heroism and, at times, despair.

It is a fairly demanding book; it needs to be read with focus and attention, not just skimmed through for the plot. But despite my initial irritation with it, I would now say it is well worth the effort. I am glad I changed my mind and went back to it: I would have missed something rich and worthwhile if I had not. I think this is a book that will continue to occupy my thoughts for a long time.

Rough Guide Map Sicily
Rough Guide Map Sicily
by Rough Guides
Edition: Map

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't even think of driving in Sicily without this map!, 10 April 2012
This review is from: Rough Guide Map Sicily (Map)
Excellent map, clear, good scale. And you really will need a good map if you're planning to drive in Sicily, because the road signs are so haphazard that you will need to know the names of places both before and after your destination if you're to stand a chance of getting where you want to be!

And this one really does live up to its 'indestructible' promise, despite my best efforts.

4 stars rather than 5, because I'd always like the scale on my maps to be even larger, but I certainly haven't seen a Sicily map better than this one.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars There must be better attack alarms than this!, 12 Mar. 2012
a) It's not discreet - it's really quite large and chunky, and certainly not inconspicuous, as claimed in the blurb.
b) It comes with no instructions, so you might be left thinking you press the central 'button' to activate it; but you don't, you have to pull at the floppy pendant attachment. No clues as to how you'd replace the battery either, or even whether it's possible to change it at all.
c) The floppy pendant attachment is a bit irritating on sensitive skin, as is the solid plastic strap.
d) The alarm itself really isn't that loud. It might be a bit uncomfortable if you held it right beside your attacker's ear, but it's certainly not loud enough to alert anyone that you need help.
Overall verdict: save your money.

River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, whether you're new to veggie food or an old hand, 27 Nov. 2011
This is a lovely book. Every recipe illustrated in colour, and using ingredients you won't have to find specialist markets or take out a second mortgage to buy. It's absolutely teeming with really interesting, creative ways with veg, that you don't have to be a cordon bleu chef to be able to recreate in your own kitchen. I honestly wouldn't have expected someone who is so associated with meat to be able to produce a truly tempting array of vegetarian recipes - but it's very nice to be proved wrong!

HP Deskjet F2480 Printer (Print, Copy And Scan)
HP Deskjet F2480 Printer (Print, Copy And Scan)

2.0 out of 5 stars More trouble than it's worth, 7 Sept. 2011
I have bought two of these. The first was a disaster - temperamental and broke down irrevocably after I'd only had it about 6 months. Thing was, I really liked the idea of having all these facilities together in one space-saving and inexpensive device, and I was also convinced HP was a good make, so I concluded I'd probably just got a rogue one, and I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and buy a replacement of the same kind. Never again!

It forever gives me error messages that are simply incorrect - eg. 'the door is open' when it most definitely is NOT. Needless to say, 'door open' means it won't print.

The paper feeder is ridiculously sensitive, and it jams or decides it doesn't have any paper in it at all at the drop of a hat. Not even a hat - an imaginary hat.

Now it's refusing to move the ink cartridges to where I can get at them to replace them.

If I WERE able to replace them, it would insist that I scanned in the 'test align' page before allowing me to proceed. WHY?

Once the printer decides there's an error, there never seems to be a simple, straightforward way of fixing it, which means kissing goodbye to the next 1/4 hour.

Half the time the scanner doesn't recognise that there's anything to scan anyway. Well, no, 'half the time' is an exaggeration. But it happens regularly enough to be a real nuisance.

I don't need to print, scan or copy very often, so for now I'm grinning and bearing it. But I would say that, when I do have to use it, more often than not it ends up being a hassle and a nuisance.

Don't be fooled by the apparently high spec and low price. It's not worth it.

The only reason I've given it 2 stars rather than the more accurate 1 is that, on the relatively rare occasions when it does actually behave itself, it IS handy to have all 3 functions in one device that's small enough to sit on a desk in a home office. I still like the IDEA of it. It's just a shame about the reality.

Swallows and Amazons [DVD]
Swallows and Amazons [DVD]
Dvd ~ Claude Whatham
Offered by Rikdev Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly adorable, 19 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Swallows and Amazons [DVD] (DVD)
Swallows and Amazons isn't my favourite Arthur Ransome book by a long way; and I normally can't stand child actors. But this film is utterly delightful and - wonder of wonders - every single one of the children can truly ACT. The whole thing is very natural, and truly captures both the excitement and vulnerability of childhood. I wasn't expecting this to be my kind of film - but it's a real gem. I loved it.

Page: 1 | 2