ARRAY(0xadf3d3cc)

Profile for Coincidence Vs Fate > Reviews

Content by Coincidence Vs...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 863

Coincidence Vs Fate (Middle England)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Canon Legria HF R506 High Definition Camcorder - Black (3.2MP, 32x Optical Zoom, 57x Advanced Zoom, Optical Image Stabilisation) 3inch LCD
Offered by TrustedTech
Price: 225.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Little HD Cam, 23 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Every time I get a new camera or camcorder I always test it on my favourite subject, our black cat. When I test the Legria HF R506 it was quite a sunny day in our garden and our cat was sunning herself, rolling around and doing the usual cat things. The Legria captured her at the end of the garden quite beautifully even on a long zoom. The colours were really lovely and bright, much better than I expected. Even in fairly low light the unit captured colours nicely. I was very impressed. I would note also that the zoom is whisper quiet so didn't distract on playback though our tele. The picture quality was pretty stunning too.

The unit itself is small and fits in the hand nicely. Everything is fairly intuitive and once I'd put a spare SD in I was shooting within minutes, it really is that simple to use. The menus are easy enough to follow and although the different filters worked well, I probably wouldn't need to use them.

There are some good features here such as the image stabilisation which will come in handy. Some quirky features such as the Baby Mode would be useful for some but my lad is 8 now so a bit late for us. A nice feature though and something which might appeal to new parents to be.

The camera can take still images but at only 2MP isn't anything to write home about, but that is being unfair on the Legria really as it is a camcorder at the end of the day.

Overall, this is a great little camera, good built quality, compact, with superb recording quality. It really is something that I can pop into my pocket and use on days out without having to drag a large camera bag around with me.

Really nice unit which I can't recommend enough.

Monarch [DVD]
Monarch [DVD]
Dvd ~ TP McKenna
Price: 8.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Cast, OK Film, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Monarch [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our house tends to get excited by anything remotely to do with the Tudor period and good ole Henry, so we were looking forward to watching this film.

The good thing about the film is that it comes from a different angle and steers clear of the usual divorced, beheaded, died... stuff that tends to get chucked at us whenever Henry is mentioned.

The story concerns Henry being attacked and injured whilst travelling and seeking refuge in the nearest big house. This house is deserted apart from one solitary servant - who soon legs it. The plot develops over the coming night as an intruder gets into the house.

TP is marvellous as is the wonderful Jean Marsh. It's an odd little film, now nearly twenty years old and has a lot going for it. However, it's a bit of a patchwork project and doesn't seem to flow.

I enjoyed it but also felt a little disappointed.

Revellutions 1:18 Scale RC Blue Mantis Buggy
Revellutions 1:18 Scale RC Blue Mantis Buggy
Price: 36.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, 23 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My eight year old was pleased to receive this during his birthday week and half-term and after a charge for an hour took it out in the garden for some Dad/Son bonding time. I have to say considering the relatively modest cost of the item, it coped pretty well with most surfaces, though struggled over some of the larger stones, but that is to be expected as it's not a "pro" unit or anything.

Luckily the charge lasted longer than my sons' enthusiasm so we put it away and will give it another run out during the next couple of days. Although the Buggy seems fairly well built, I'm not sure how much punishment it can take before giving up the ghost. So far, so good.

Kingston 16GB USB 3.0 DataTraveler Mini Flash Drive - Red
Kingston 16GB USB 3.0 DataTraveler Mini Flash Drive - Red
Price: 6.60

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Slow, 10 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nice and small and despite being pink looks good. I keep it hooked on my identification badge and work so I know where it is and it's handy for when I need it. Despite it being USB 3.0 it seems really slow, in fact, slower than my elderly USB 2.0 sticks, which is a shame.

Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
Price: 30.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Little Device, 8 April 2014
You'll know what the Chromecast does, I'm sure, as that's why you're looking at the reviews.

The Chromecast is a fantastic little device and for 30 you can stream content from your Android/Apple device to your TV with little effort.

To be honest, I didn't really need this device as my Virgin Tivo box already gives me access to Netflix, YouTube and catch-up services such as iPlayer, etc. However, I'd wanted one for a while and the option to "cast" web content to the television along with music from Google Music was a clincher.

It streams content from Netflix. YouTube and iPlayer easily over my network without stuttering or buffering. I have used a couple of Android phones, an iPad Air, a Windows 8 laptop and a Windows 7 machine without any issue. It was simple enough to download the Chromecast app from the Android Play Store. It then gives you a list of other compatible apps such as iPlayer, Netflix, etc.

Setup was a breeze and it recognised my Wifi connection on my Virgin Superhub 2. I simply had to type in my router security key and I was away. However, it must be noted that the Chromecast won't recognise or be able to connect to a 5GHz Wifi signal, only the standard 2.4GHz.

I tend to use the Windows 8 laptop more than anything else - it's a Toshiba tablet/laptop hybrid kind of thing - and when I want to view something on the television I either use the cast icon on Chrome or when on Netflix I press the cast icon again and it gives me the option to view on "this device" or the Chromecast. A simple press on the Chromecast option and within seconds the Netflix splash screen appears on my TV and the programme starts to stream. It really is a painless procedure.

I've only had a couple of issues when streaming content - a black screen with a message "this programme is not available, etc" - but turning the Chromecast on and off has solved that and as it only takes seconds to reboot, it's not really an issue. Normally this kind of thing would annoy me, but it must be remembered that the Chromecast is still in it's infancy so these kind of glitches are to be expected.

There's only one disappointment for me and that is the performance of Plex which is needed to stream content from your PC, i.e. locally stored video, etc. However, this is not really the end of the world as I can stream through the PS3. Again, it's probably just a glitch and I'm sure that future software updates will address that.

EDIT: I've downloaded an app from the Google Play Store called AllCast which cost me 3. That streams stuff directly from my phone to the television through the Chromecast. It also allows me to bypass Plex and stream media on my network without any stuttering. Great stuff. THere is also an option to play media files directly from DropBox. Although audio streams fine, video streams with sound only. Not a big problem.

The Chromecast is a cheap and efficient way to turn your TV (as long as it has a HDMI socket) into a all-singing, all-dancing Smart TV. My Samsung TV is pretty old now and the only thing I had to do was buy one of these:3D Ready / Full HD 1080p HDMI Switch - flexible 3 port switch | 3 x IN / 1 x OUT | Dolby True HD / intelligent switch- automatic and manual switch as I only had two HDMI sockets and with the Chromecast three devices. The Chromecast is plugged in and is "on" all the time. When I switch inputs it is ready and waiting to be used. When the PS3 is turned on it kicks in and the switch changes automatically to this new device. Once the PS3 is turned off it goes back to the Chromecast again. Very simple.

One of those rare devices that is cheap, easy to use and has great impact. Can't recommend the Chromecast enough.

EDIT No 2: Anyone know how to install the Chromecast app on my Kindle Fire HD (previous gen)?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2014 12:44 PM BST

Offered by Eridu Store Ltd UK
Price: 8.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 2 April 2014
I have a six year old Samsung which only has two HDMI sockets. That was OK back then but now we have a Virgin Tivo Box, PS3 and a Chromecast to support, so I bought one of these switches and hey presto, problem solved!

I still have a spare socket on the switch too.

Alpen Fruit & Nuts Trail Bar 48g x 3 (Pack of 11, 33 bars in total)
Alpen Fruit & Nuts Trail Bar 48g x 3 (Pack of 11, 33 bars in total)
Price: 14.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and Chewy, 24 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Chewier than I thought they would be but they're nice enough. They've been handy for lunch boxes and something to take to the football with me so they've come in useful, which is a good job as I had over thirty of them!

My initial impression - despite admittedly not tasting them - would be that they'd be a little like rabbit food, but no, they are really tasty and moist. Recommended.

Alpen Fruit & Nuts Trail Bar 48g (Pack of 12 bars)
Alpen Fruit & Nuts Trail Bar 48g (Pack of 12 bars)
Price: 7.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Enough, 24 Mar 2014

Netgear JWNR2010 N300 Wireless Router with External Antenna
Netgear JWNR2010 N300 Wireless Router with External Antenna
Price: 12.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Solid Performer, 24 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Cheap and cheerful wireless router from Netgear. Looks and feels substantial enough and has a smallish footprint which helps. The two antennas sticking out of the back aren’t too intrusive either.

Easy enough to set up, though I did read through the instructions a couple of times as the first time I’d missed a step out and wondered why I couldn’t get onto the Internet. I tried this in conjunction with my Virgin Superhub 2 and a 120MB connection and it worked well though nowhere near as fast as the Virgin hub. However, it coped with most things I threw at it from YouTube, Netflix and Amazon Instant Video in HD without any hassle.

I didn’t find the signal particularly strong but we live in an Edwardian terrace so the walls are pretty thick. I’m sure in a new build there wouldn’t be an issue.

Good, solid performer.

the After - Season 1
the After - Season 1
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Promising, 18 Mar 2014
Obviously like many I watched this mainly because it was Chris Carter who wrote it. OVerall I enjoyed the episode and there were certainly some intruiging questions such as the March 7th thing. It was great to have a mixed cast of characters rather than a stereotypical cast of "beautiful people" and it will be good to have a bit of back-fill now that Amazon have given the series the green light.

Now on to what I didn't like. I'm not a prude or anything but I thought there was way too much swearing. The odd F here and there is fine but the Irish characters lines were peppered with expletives which I thought was a shame, but apart from that, I thought it was a promising start and I'm looking forward to seeing more episodes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20