Profile for Emphyrio > Reviews

Content by Emphyrio

Emphyrio

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Diccionario Elemental Ingles-galego / Galego-ingles / Basic Dictionary English-galilean / Galilean-english
by Beningno F. Salgado

4.0 out of 5 stars English-Galician Galician-English Dictionary, 22 Aug 2013
External dimensions approx. 190x135x22mm.
386 pages.
This is not a large book so one can't expect to find every word one would like, but for the price and size it is acceptable.
It will hopefully save me from looking up some words in my Galician-Spanish dictionary.

It should be used in conjunction with a Galician-Spanish dictionary; Galizionario (the Galician Wiktionary); Wiktionary; and Galipedia (Galician Wikipedia).

Smart Games IQ Puzzle Brainteaser Game
Smart Games IQ Puzzle Brainteaser Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent puzzle game, 19 Jun 2013
I do have a couple of niggles with the product (which seems well made) but I will leave those to the end of my review.
This puzzle consists of a sealable plastic case with the playing area inside.
The 2D playing area is a rectangle of 5x11 depressions into which the pieces fit.
There are twelve playing pieces of different colours. Each coloured piece is assigned a letter of the alphabet, it is probably better to memorise these in order to be able to think about the game more efficiently.
There is a booklet containing the puzzle, each puzzle shows some of the pieces on the board/playing area with the rest to be correctly placed by the player.

The first 72 challenges are played entirely on the board, the last 29 challenges are played in 3D.
The 2D challenges break down as follows:
Starter level: challenges 1-16; these are very easy, requiring only one or two pieces to be correctly placed.
Junior level: challenges 1-32; these were noticeably more challenging, but not too difficult, requiring 3 or 4 pieces to be correctly placed.
Expert level: challenges 33-48; these are getting significantly harder, requiring 5 or 6 pieces to be correctly placed. I am currently struggling with challenge 40.
Master level: challenges 49-62 require 7 or 8 pieces to be correctly placed.
Wizard level: challenges 63-72 require 9 pieces to be correctly placed.

The 3D puzzles are played on a 5x5 grid on the underside of the case.
The puzzles are as follows:
Starter level: challenges 73-76 require one piece to be correctly placed.
Junior level: challenges 77-84 require 2 or 3 pieces to be correctly placed.
Expert level: challenges 85-92 require 4 or 5 pieces to be correctly placed.
Master level: challenges 93-96 require 6 or 7 pieces to be correctly placed.
Wizard level: challenges 97-101 require 8, 9, or 10 pieces to be correctly placed.

And now for my niggles:
1) There are only 101 challenges, once they have been solved...
2) It would have been helpful if there were two playing surfaces on the inside, this way one wouldn't need to waste time clearing the board before setting up the next puzzle.
3) The game needs a notation system, having a letter for each piece is good, but it doesn't say anything about how the piece is oriented. With the 2x2 square piece (K) this doesn't matter, but the other pieces can be rotated through 90 degrees four times, and some of them are different when flipped over too.

The Singing Ringing Tree [1957] [DVD]
The Singing Ringing Tree [1957] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Christel Bodenstein

5.0 out of 5 stars Rating is based on not having watched it yet, 18 Jun 2013
I haven't watched the DVD yet, I only saw a small section of this film in the 70's.
According to the information on the back of the DVD case this contains both an English dub (which is what I would have seen) and the original German soundtrack.

Werewolf Of London [DVD]
Werewolf Of London [DVD]
Dvd ~ Henry Hull

4.0 out of 5 stars Transformation scene, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Werewolf Of London [DVD] (DVD)
The film itself is okay, but not great. The main reason for watching the film is the transformation scene. There may have been more than one transformation scene in the film, I can't remember, but I am referring to one particular one.
I won't spoil it by going into details but it is the best werewolf transformation scene I have ever seen. No other werewolf film has a transformation scene that is even close.
Anyone who is a film buff should watch it: I believe it was the first werewolf film, or at least the first non-silent one.
Anyone who likes special effects should watch it too.

I'm giving this 4 stars as it would be a bit fanboyish to give it 5 on the strength of one scene.

The Adventures Of Captain Fabian [DVD]
The Adventures Of Captain Fabian [DVD]
Dvd ~ Errol Flynn

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this film, but the title is somewhat naughty, 16 April 2013
I haven't watched the DVD yet, so my review is solely of the film as best as I remember it.
Errol Flynn (Captain Fabian) wasn't in the film that much, but anyone who's a fan of Vincent Price or Agnes Moorhead won't be disappointed.
The parts with Errol Flynn had quite a bit of action, but as an Errol Flynn fan I was really more interested in the film when Vincent Price was on screen.

A Nymphoid Barbarian In Dinosaur Hell [DVD]
A Nymphoid Barbarian In Dinosaur Hell [DVD]
Dvd ~ Paul Guzzi

5.0 out of 5 stars Troma Film, 16 April 2013
To anyone who hasn't seen the film before, it's not what the title might make it sound like. Our heroine (Linda Corwin) was scantily clad for someone traversing such a hostile land, but there wasn't any nudity or sex as far a s I can remember.
I haven't actually watched the DVD yet, so my review is solely of the film.
I won't claim that this is the best film ever made, but I do have a certain affection for it.

When I get around to watching it I'll try to remember to write a better review.

Aceil in addelnnorW: A Bkoo
Aceil in addelnnorW: A Bkoo
by Lewis Carroll

5.0 out of 5 stars My eeirvw, 16 April 2013
This bkoo (book) is great. At first I was quite slow at working out the words, but I quickly improved. Occasionally some words leave me stumped, but the English is just on the other side.
Some words like ghhottu (thought) are difficult but once you've seen them a couple of times you know what the word is straight away.
I hope to be able to by other bkoos in order to improve at anagramming.

Letraset ProMarker Ultra Fine Nib attachments, Pack of 3
Letraset ProMarker Ultra Fine Nib attachments, Pack of 3
Offered by Art World Online Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the packaging, 25 Mar 2013
I don't know what I can add to this, it gives one the possibility of having a fine nib on a Promarker, it fits securely on the end of the pen and can't come accidentally loose. There were three in the pack, and each one was protected by having a top fixed to it, leaving me only wondering what to do with the original top on the Promarker... I decided to stick it on the other end of the pen.

I only wish there was something like a Promarker that didn't bleed straight through ordinary paper, but that doesn't have anything to do with the ultra-fine nib.

[LM-K1] Spiral Elastic Keychain
[LM-K1] Spiral Elastic Keychain
Offered by Ling's Cabinet

3.0 out of 5 stars Spiral Elastic Keychain, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: [LM-K1] Spiral Elastic Keychain
I'm using this to hold a box-cutter on. I don't imagine it will last forever, but it was inexpensive and I will make sure I have a replacement before I actually need one. The end where it clips onto a belt loop didn't look very sturdy, so I've put a karabiner through the end where it attaches to the spiral.
In the fullness of time I may decide to increase the number of stars, but I will wait to see how long it lasts.
It's doing a fine job at the moment.
As I am using my box-cutter while it is attached to the keychain, the spiral may get considerably more wear and tear than if it were just being used for keys.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2013 2:37 PM BST

Pill Holder Keyring Keychain -- Airtight & Waterproof -- Store Pills, Money, Stash -- Black
Offered by Hellfire Store

3.0 out of 5 stars External measurements, 11 Mar 2013
At first I thought the dimensions were other than advertised. Then I realised that they were, but the length (65mm approx) is from the base of the unit to the end of the ring, the width (25mm approx) was the diameter of the ring.
The external measurements NOT including the ring were closer to 40mm (excluding the raised part on the lid which the ring goes through) in length and 15+mm in width.
The dimensions seem to be standard for this type of item.
Unfortunately I was hoping to use it for a non-standard purpose (storing tiny chess pieces in), so it's not quite as useful (to me) as I hoped it would be. I can (just) fit a spare queen of both colours in it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5