Profile for Bluearmy > Reviews

Flymo 20m Replacement Cable for Flymo products
Flymo 20m Replacement Cable for Flymo products
Offered by First4Spares

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says it will do, 13 May 2015
Arrived quickly and works as you'd expect it should work. No problems whatsoever. Completely satisfied and would recommend to all

Noisy Bottoms (Usborne Noisy Books)
Noisy Bottoms (Usborne Noisy Books)
by Sam Taplin
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational Fart Gags! Is this the zenith of all human achievement?, 10 Jan. 2015
Bought this for my toddler nephew
He loved it. His parents loved it. His big brother loved it. My family all loved it.
Everybody loved it.
It's funny (who doesn't love a good fart gag?) It's a clear and simple story and above all it's perfect for helping to encourage preschoolers to read

Unze Broo' Men Leather Brogues Formal Boots Casual Boots Lace Up Ankle Boots - Cool Christmas Gift, Size 10 UK
Offered by Unze London

5.0 out of 5 stars How dull... there's nothing to fault, 10 Jan. 2015
I'm going to have to be boring and agree with other reviewers.
These boots are a bargain
Good quality, comfortable fit, soft leather, lovely shade of tan.
Just... Great
Boringly great
You won't go wrong

Real England: The Battle Against The Bland
Real England: The Battle Against The Bland

4.0 out of 5 stars Would've happily given 5 stars, but..., 12 Oct. 2014
As many have pointed out this is a skillfully written expose of the loss of the day to day England we've taken for granted. A past England that has been eroded so slowly in front of our very eyes we almost haven't noticed, until it's too late and the real pubs, the country hedgerows and affordable housing, the individuality and character of each and every town has been lost and gone forever. In fact Paul Kingsnorth often writes with poetic flare and pulls of the difficult trick of keeping the reading engaged without dissolving into what could easily become a rant against modern consumerism, greed and politics.

I thought it was an educational, eye opening book which although written a few years ago now had me Googling the projects discussed to see which side won. This is the tale of money - usually corporate money - vs the people displaced and effected by the boardroom clamor for thicker and faster income streams. It's the tale of how we've all been complicit in watching old England disappear forever under a Starbucked, Wetherspooned, Executive Living Spaced avalanche.

But change happens and we all move forward, that's part of life, always has been and always will be. Kingsnorth's genius is to acknowledge this but highlight the speed of modern change, the change not necessarily for the better, but to make someone somewhere more money as quickly as possible.

My one criticism is that the book could have been about 20% shorter and it wouldn't have effected my enjoyment one bit.
The writer deals with the rise of the Pubco, the decimation of our canals and countryside, individuality and the loss of village life and for me that's enough and the point was made. It's all rather ironic that despite the excellent point of his book, Paul Kingsnorth failed to see that the adage more doesn't always mean better applies to writing too.

Night
Night
by Elie Wiesel

5.0 out of 5 stars We can never repeat the horrors of our past., 7 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Night (Paperback)
This is a great book, whether the controversies are founded concerning it being an entire truth or not, it doesn't matter, the things described in Elie Wiesel's book did happen. Whether he was there to witness it, whether it happened to someone else, or whether the stories are apocryphal, so what? We all know the kind of conditions and hardships prisoners of the Nazi concentration and extermination camps were subject to. Everyday someone somewhere suffered the torment Wiesel describes. They were not one off events.

I read this book straight after reading Hanns and Rudolf by Thomas Harding - another truly superb and absorbing read - and the two together built a fascinating, rounded picture that stayed with me as I recently visited Auschwitz.

Elie Wiesel writes with a natural, conversational and often flippant prose about the most horrific of experiences, which only serves to make reading Night all the more real and harrowing, yet relatively easy and difficult to put down. I feel bad saying that such a book was entertaining, but it was.

Please read this book, read Hanns and Rudolf too, and find time for Wladyslaw Szpilman's The Pianist. We can never repeat the horrors of our past.

Hanns and Rudolf: The German Jew and the Hunt for the Kommandant of Auschwitz
Hanns and Rudolf: The German Jew and the Hunt for the Kommandant of Auschwitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Real history written like a gripping novel, 3 July 2014
What a fantastic book!
It is never dull, it spares no punches and despite the early declaration of the author as to why he wrote the book, we see both characters (of Hanns and Rudolf) as rounded individuals, with likable traits and wicked flaws. In fact such is the author's skill that, at times, I was having to check myself from beginning to feel sorry for Rudolf Hoss, the kommandant of Auschwitz and one of the deadliest and inhuman mass murderers we've ever had the misfortune to witness.

You see, we are introduced to Rudolf, and Hanns, the German Jew working for the British army who eventually tracked him down, as small boys. Their tales are told in parallel and we watch them grow, see their characters develop and understand the twists of fate and circumstance that led each along their own paths in life.

Inside Auschwitz the life of the Kommandant and his family is revealed in stark contrast to the horror of existence as an inmate. For me the most sickening thing wasn't how Rudolf could kill tens of thousands and return home like he'd spent the day counting paperclips, it was how his wife, Hedwig, knew what was happening and yet was able to fret about matching curtains and seamstresses.

This is a simply stunning book. Heroic, tragic, gutwrenching and at times light hearted. Please read it.

Galleria New York Nights Stick Umbrella
Galleria New York Nights Stick Umbrella
Offered by Gifts Direct 2 U Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything it promises to do, 13 May 2014
I wanted an umbrella that was different enough to stand out from the mass of umbrellas drying out after a rainy journey in to work, but something still masculine and not the golf cliché. This umbrella does all that.
But, more importantly, it is a good size, it opens smoothly and when others are struggling with being being blown inside out this is as solid as a rock.
Very happy.

A Matter of Honour: The Story of England's Last Fatal Duel
A Matter of Honour: The Story of England's Last Fatal Duel

2.0 out of 5 stars Should have been a great read, 20 Feb. 2014
The last duel and the history of duelling are equally fascinating subjects and that keeps you turning the pages. Gentlemen who were all too often prepared to die or take a life rather than allow an insult to linger. A blackguard, a cad, a ruffian and in the swirling mists of the following dawn it's pistols at twelve paces.

Stupidity, romance, bloodshed, murder and criminal law. It's got a bit of everything really.

Unfortunately Martyn Beardsley tells this story without personality, simply reporting the facts and repeating press reports and courtroom transcripts from the time. It's a bit like sitting through what should be the most interesting lecture only to find it delivered in a sleep enducing monotone.

Still, Beardsley is knowledgeable and the mercifully brief book is very well researched. For the price it is worth a purchase just for the facts, shame about the story telling.

The Warsaw Anagrams
The Warsaw Anagrams

5.0 out of 5 stars A horrible act in a horrible world in a gem of a novel, 10 Feb. 2014
To set a murder mystery in the Jewish ghettos of Nazi Warsaw is something of a stroke of genius that not only sets an immediate scene of mayhem and an added element as to which side of the wall our murderer resides, but it also injects a sense of urgency to Erik Cohen's frantic investigations as we, the reader, know what he doesn't know - before long the ghettos will be cleared in favor of the concentration camp.
This is not just a whodunnit? but a why-did-they-do-it? A mystical ghost story and a gritty historical drama.
Zimler creates rich characters and sets them in a well drawn setting that does justice to the gruesome reality. You can smell the stench of decay and starvation, feel the subzero air on your skin and share the sense of hopelessness and desperation. The writing does not undermine the seriousness of the real life horrors in any way.
I don't want to write too much about plot because I feel that this is one of those books that draws you in very quickly and the shocks, twists and turns are best enjoyed without an outline for what will happen next.
Read it, you will not be disappointed.

North Slope
North Slope

3.0 out of 5 stars Might leave you cold, 28 Nov. 2013
This review is from: North Slope (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book I've read from Michael Parker, having been lucky enough to pick it up off Amazon as a freebie.

I have to say that the writer has a special talent.

The basic plot concerns an angry, violent, drop out drunk who is transported to the deepest Arctic, BA Barracus (A Team) style. I won't ruin the book for you but it involves a remarkable return to sobriety, a saboteur and a murderer, and a race against time. The dialogue is clunky, we have a team of hardened men living, working, eating and sleeping in close quarters in the heart of the bitter wilderness, and they say things to each other like "my eye!" and "hells teeth!" which doesn't quite ring true. And I'm not sure that "bloody" and "sod" would be the expletives of choice for a bunch of North Americans.

But, despite all of that, a very dodgy sex scene and the fact I was rather disappointed to discover that I had indeed identified the culprit very early on, I enjoyed it!
I think that's where Parker's talent lies because this had enough problems to be awful, but instead it has an undeniable charm, and in some places the prose, especially when describing life in arctic conditions, is beautiful. I'm not sure I'll rush to read another of Mr Parker's books, but I was certainly swept along in this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3