Profile for C. Gordon > Reviews

Content by C. Gordon

C. Gordon (Yorkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Ana Silver Co Labradorite 925 Sterling Silver Pendant 2"
Ana Silver Co Labradorite 925 Sterling Silver Pendant 2"

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely pendant., 18 July 2015
Beautiful item, lots of iridescence and colour change, much larger than expected. Fast delivery considering coming from US. Very pleased

Ravel Ravel 'Summer Days' Ladies Silicone Strap Fashion Watch. women's quartz Watch with black Dial analogue Display and black silicone Strap R1801.03.2

4.0 out of 5 stars this one and the grey/pink option - wanted a reasonably priced 'everyday' watch for work and something with an easy to read face, 18 July 2015
Bought two of these, this one and the grey/pink option - wanted a reasonably priced 'everyday' watch for work and something with an easy to read face, which my dressier watches don't have. They were slightly smaller (face) than expected and in hindsight I would have preferred to have one with a larger face, but hardly worth costs of returning versus price paid.
Overall a great buy and ideal for kids or adults!

Russell Hobbs 14178 Travel Kettle with Boil Dry Protection
Russell Hobbs 14178 Travel Kettle with Boil Dry Protection

4.0 out of 5 stars Great item. Advice about safely filling corded kettle..., 18 July 2015
Have taken one of these abroad every year since purchase in 2011 and it's great in rooms where no tea/coffee making facilities - usually all inclusive hotels. Like other reviewers I found the attached cord and risk of getting the mains lead/plug wet a bit of a bugbear but we got around it by not carrying it to the tap, just leaving it in-situ and filling it from a bottle of water which we kept close by, and refilled as required. MUCH easier, and dare I say, safer solution and could work for those using at home or abroad.
Only criticism is the lead is quite short, but I guess this goes with the territory of producing a lighter weight item suitable for travel. We also use our own melamine mugs as the ones provided are a tad on the small side. Otherwise, it's great.

De'Longhi Brillante Faceted Jug Kettle, 3 Kilowatt - Black - KBJ 3001.BK
De'Longhi Brillante Faceted Jug Kettle, 3 Kilowatt - Black - KBJ 3001.BK

3.0 out of 5 stars Not good for the price paid., 16 Jun. 2015
Bought this to match the Brilliante 4 slice toaster and whilst they look very nice together on the worktop in my new kitchen (I have grudgingly awarded the three stars just because of their aesthetically pleasing appearance) I just wanted to make other potential purchasers aware of following:

1. It is quite possibly the noisiest kettle I have ever owned in my life. When it's in full throttle we have to turn the t.v up in the sitting room next door because we genuinely can't hear anything above the noise of the kettle! Don't even try and hold a telphone conversation in the same room, it sounds like a hovercraft is taking off.

2. It leaks. Repeatedly, and badly. This started happening within 2 weeks of our purchase, water was leaking onto the 'element plate' (sorry, don't know proper name for it) that it sits on, causing a potential hazard. Returned it to store and they helpfully exchanged it with another, identical model. This one leaked, in exactly the same place, and way. Can't see where it's coming from exactly but we suspect it's from the metal band around the bottom, but it forms little puddles of water on the plate it sits on which constantly have to be wiped up.

3. It rusts and collects limescale very badly. Like another reviewer, I found that this rusts around metal components quite quickly, especially around the metal ring at the bottom of the lid. Ditto limescale,

4. Steam escapes quite badly from the lid, even when shut tight. I suspect this might be contributing to 3., above?

For the price (we paid £39.99 in a sale) and the brand/reputation, I would have expected more, and certainly better build quality. The Toaster is absolutely fine, but we've given up on the kettle and have bought a similar design from elsewhere, which we're having no problems with, plus it was half the price of this one. Overall I wouldn't recommend this product.

Indesit IWDE126 Fully Integrated 6kg 1200rpm 16 Programme Washer Dryer in White
Indesit IWDE126 Fully Integrated 6kg 1200rpm 16 Programme Washer Dryer in White
Offered by My-Choice

1.0 out of 5 stars WORST WASHER DRYER I HAVE EVER USED! - AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!, 11 Dec. 2014
I bought one of these machines in Oct 2014 to replace a Hotpoint integrated washer dryer that had served us well, for daily - sometimes twice daily washes and drying, for over ten years. It broke down and was uneconomical to repair.
Encouraged by the news that Indesit/Hotpoint are virtually one and the same/manufacture, but there is a big difference in price, we purchased this one as it had more or less the same features as our old machine but was around £60 less in price.

However, they say "buy cheap, buy twice" - and it's true. We are now going to sell this machine, at a loss (Indesit don't want to know about our requests for a refund) - and buy another machine.

We have persevered but even on delivery and installation we found that the loading door would not open and we had to ring tech support line at Indesit - it took nearly an hour to resolve. Since then, I have found the wash cycles abysmal - there is no "quick wash" function, no "delicates" function - for knitwear, etc., and the closest function to it has so far shrunk and creased some of my most precious items of knitwear to beyond repair - and I have had to throw them out. Even setting it on a 30 degree wash items still come out unimaginably creased and fabrics or fibres battered or ruined.

And don't even get me started on the dryer!!! - even on the coolest setting it has shrunk several items of clothing AND bedding, including polyester/cotton/viscose duvet covers!! We have read the instruction manual from cover to cover several times and are using and setting the machine exactly as instructed according to the type of fabric/wash required, and STILL it has ruined more items of clothing and bedding than I care to remember.

This review I hope will be a warning to anyone considering buying this machine, from ANYWHERE - please, spend a little more and get something better. This machine, and Indesit "customer service" has been a nightmare from start to finish. If I could give it a zero rating, I would.

Bodum Vacuum Travel Mug, Stainless Steel with Lime Green Lid and Band, Small, 0.35 l, 12 oz
Offered by Good Thymes

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault this, best buy ever for hot drink lovers, 30 Sept. 2014
I reluctantly invested in one of these a few months ago after getting tired of leaks and spillages (ouch! hot!) from cheaper versions I'd been buying regularly from supermarkets and other places. I was sceptical at first whether or not it would be any better than the cheaper ones and that I might have wasted my money, but I was wrong... this is a FANTASTIC product, can't think of anything negative to say about it.

The rubber grip and base is secure, the flip closure and the spout are ingenious and well designed, doesn't leak at all, and best of all the coffee I make before I leave the house at 8.30 a.m is usually still piping hot two hours later! I only bought it originally for use as a travel mug, but now use it throughout the day because it keeps drinks nice and hot and saves having to throw out or waste coffee that has gone cold. Now I just need to make myself a maximum of two hot drinks during the day instead of several, so paying for itself too!

Can't recommend this highly enough and have bought 3 more for family and friends who admired them.

Fence Wall Spikes: Pack of 10 (4.5M to 13.5M) - BROWN
Fence Wall Spikes: Pack of 10 (4.5M to 13.5M) - BROWN
Offered by Cactus Products Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Last resort to keep squirrels from climbing bird feeding tables, and works!, 29 Sept. 2014
I am a cat owner/lover, so wouldn't use these to keep cats out of my garden, but living in a semi-rural area, I also enjoy watching birds coming into my garden, and have several bird tables in my garden containing food, hanging bird feeders, etc. HOWEVER, they are constantly being attacked/invaded by pesky grey squirrels, who are coming from the woods at the back of my property in ever increasing numbers. To make matters worse, they are burying the food they steal in my lawn, and leaving little holes all over it.

I've invested in various devices including squirrel "baffles" to keep them from stealing food, to no avail, but hit upon the idea of fastening these to the upright posts of my bird tables after seeing them on top of a fence in my neighbourhood. In desperation, and not wanting to go to the extent of buying squirrel traps, I tried these.... THEY ARE FANTASTIC! - and, so far at least, really work. Posting this to help anyone else experiencing a similar problem.

Took us an afternoon to completely cover all 4 sides of the upright posts of our bird tables with these and it was well worth it - the squirrels have taken the hint and don't come any more, and my lawn is almost back to normal. Cheap, effective, and highly recommended!

CostMad 5 Piece Kitchen Storage Includes Bread Bin Biscuit Tea Coffee Sugar Caddy Tins Containers Canister Storage Jars Pots Set (Black)
Offered by Price Crunchers Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars TIP FOR DEALING WITH ILL FITTING LIDS..., 10 Sept. 2014
I have these and really like them - TIP TO DEAL WITH LIDS, which I also found loose fitting... Line the inside "lip" of the lid with a good quality "duck" or gaffer tape (may need to apply two layers) and trim to fit. It's better to put the tape on the lid instead of the canister itself as it won't require so much washing or contact with water as the container itself.

I did this with mine and it works a treat, also saves the time, money, and expense, of returning items.

Foam Leg Raiser Cushion for Support & Comfort high density foam base, mememory
Foam Leg Raiser Cushion for Support & Comfort high density foam base, mememory
Offered by aids4mobility

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! - massive saving on specialist bed, 9 Sept. 2014
I was going to spend the best part of a thousand pounds on an electric bed to assist with elevating my legs to reduce water retention as a result of lymphodema, but on the recommendation of my nurse, decided to try this as a last resort/"austerity measure" haha!

As soon as I started using it (in combination with a 3 inch deep memory foam mattress topper) I enjoyed tremendous pain relief and reduced swelling in both my legs and feet. The foam and the fabric cover is fabulously soft and warm, and it does not put any pressure whatsoever on my joints. It is extremely comfortable and I am sleeping better and waking happier!

TIP - when sitting up in bed, eg to watch tv, read, etc., I use the leg rest with the "taller" side placed under my legs/knees - elevates my legs perfectly and much better than in the "normal" position when wanting to sit upright. Also works in same way when putting feet up on sofa. Highly recommended. About to buy one for my pregnant daughter in law. Thank you.

Actesso Elasticated Tri-Weave Wrist Brace: Ideal for Carpal Tunnel, RSI, Wrist Fractures, Sprains or Strains. Designed and approved by Medical Professionals
Offered by Actesso Medical Supports Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, good value, 9 Sept. 2014
I Suffer with chronic wrist and hand pain following an accident, have tried numerous wrist supports, including ones provided by my local hospital physio but this is honestly the BEST one I have tried - it has a much wider and more comfortable 'support' bar for your hand, the fabric is soft and roomy, and the velcro straps are generous. Overall very good quality, highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3