Profile for DJColzz > Reviews

Content by DJColzz

DJColzz "DJ MacDonald" (Glasgow, Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Back Home
Back Home

1.0 out of 5 stars Now Listen To DJ, 13 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Back Home (Audio CD)
Now listen to me!!!! This album is getting nothing more than the "female hormone" vote!!!

This is utter nonsense! It is terrible, track one and four are the favourites, and damn tooting they are, but go listen to Michael Bublé and Lonestar respectively for the originals. They are the biggest rip off merchants I have ever heard!

That cheeky little blonde blighter on Paul O Grady saying it was all original songs, my aunt fanny. It's just another rip off!!!

This is inhumane! This is insanity! STOP buying Westlife, save us the indignity of their horrendous cover versions, we cannot stand anymore. This album is probably their worst to date.

The utterly indescribable atrocity of "home" is too painful for words.

They have taken out so much meaning and feeling, and so much emotion to these songs. It is sacrilege.

DO NOT CONDONE THESE IRISH NUMB WITS IN OUR MUSICAL SOCIETY. PLEEEEEEEEASE!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2010 9:13 PM GMT

Wait For Me
Wait For Me
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars The best Pigeon Detectives Album, considering it's their only album not much of a compliment but there ya go!, 13 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Wait For Me (Audio CD)
The opening track "Romantic Type" is reminiscent of the cross between punk and new wave in 1980; it's a nice track and quite a jolly tune to bounce along to. "A great rocking rhythm guitar strut comes in on "Caught In Your Trap". One of my favourite guitar riffs are on "Stop and Go", all in all pretty memorable songs.

They are getting more exposure on BBC Radio 1 in the UK, and it seems you can now expect this album to chart highly in the next few weeks. It deserves the recognition, even if it is not one that will hang around the chart for weeks on end.

It might not be the ultimate rock classic, but it is something you will listen to again and again.

I have heard of The Pigeon Detectives but haven't really focused on their music, there are some duff tracks for sure, but the overall feeling you get from this is it is a decent album, and a band you will want to see grow.

Matinee (Ltd Edition)
Matinee (Ltd Edition)
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars I Have Seen The Future Of Indie Rock, His Name is...Jack Penate, 13 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Matinee (Ltd Edition) (Audio CD)
This is quite possibly the best album I have heard in quite a few months. Reminiscent of The Hoosiers album, Jack Penate (pronounced `Pen at ay' and not `pen eight' as some of my esteemed friends seem to think, has produced an album of informative, insightful and memorable songs.

Some of the album sounds all too familiar with influences ranging from all of the latest indie rockers (The Kooks, The Feeling, The Zutons etc.), but the song writing talent cannot be taken away from this wholly creative, inspired young man. "We Will Be Here", "Second Minute or Hour" and "Torn on the Platform" are outstanding tracks.

This is one you will play and play again and the more you do, the more you will excel yourself with words worthy of any intellectual convincing yourself how much you love it.

The rockin' beats of "Made of Codes" completes a substantive list to make this a distinctive sound, just about every track has a uniqueness (as in the haunting "My Yvonne") that's well thought out and brought together. This isn't a rushed album; it's a well planned artistic experience that any deserving indie fan should have.

I hope Jack grows and grows, as he truly deserves to. Years from now, you will still be playing Jack Penate's Matinee.

Matinee
Matinee
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

5.0 out of 5 stars I have seen the future of indie rock - His name is....Jack Penate, 13 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Matinee (Audio CD)

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2009 1:28 PM GMT

A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation
A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation
Offered by westworld-

3.0 out of 5 stars Let's Dance To Joy Division - Stop THERE!!!!, 13 Nov. 2007
They are not new, there's nothing outstanding, or endearing or unique about this band. Their songs are fully reminiscent of their "heroes" Joy Division. The production of this album actually sounds like it was produced in 1980. The singer so obviously is swallowing the microphone it is hard sometimes to actually make out what he is singing.

They are quirky catchy songs, but nothing that will set you on fire. There's a kind of "yeah let's all jump around mental at this sound", in a few years you will look back and say who? Oh yeah, I think I remember them.

"Let's Dance To Joy Division" is the best track on the album and a truly honourable single. It's the only truly memorable track on the album, and yes I give it credit, this song is probably one you will want to hear in the future. The tacky, tinny sound is annoying, I don't know if that was deliberate to capture the sound of 1980 and Joy Division. Boys, listen to DJ, we are in 2007, bring the production value up to scratch.

They seem like good, wild, fun-filled lads, but you can't base an album review on that.

It's pretty dated, uninteresting (though there is a certain bit of excitement in listening to it for an aging rocker) and forgettable with the only exception being the single "Let's Dance To Joy Division". The other singles, Moving To New York, Backfire at The Disco and Kill The Director are not in the league of the exception. "Kill The Director" comes closer than most, but again forgettable.

Nice try lads, but next time try a little harder!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2009 1:50 PM BST

This Is the Life
This Is the Life

5.0 out of 5 stars She's No Relation - Just a Superb Songwriter., 13 Nov. 2007
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
You cannot fault this album, and I don't care who you want to pit her against. She's no Lily Allen or Kate Nash. Amy MacDonald is far superior in every way.

There are an amazing amount of tracks on this, "Mr Rock And Roll" is by far not the best on the album, and we know how great that is the single "LA" is another great one, but the track that truly stands out for me is the haunting beautiful teen angst of "Youth of Today". THAT is sheer songwriting class!

"Barrowland Ballroom" the title track, and "Footballer's Wives" are all excellent tracks too. This is a lifetime of writing culminated into one album, the only thing I worry about is where she goes next. She's had her whole life to write this one (even though she was only 18 when it was released), but does she have enough power in her pen and guitar to come up with another album that can outshine this one and draw more people to establish Amy as a formidable Brit Songstress.

I love the album, and you will too. It's an incredibly worthy five stars all rounder.

Graduation
Graduation
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Good On Average!!!, 13 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Graduation (Audio CD)
I loved "Stronger", the first time I heard "Good Life" I hated it, but it is growing on me. I think that is the key to these new style hip-hop/rap albums, they need a while to grow on you.

The instrumental backing tracks are a lot less inventive than in years gone by, but this album does work! I'd push this one long before the disappointing 50 Cent offering, out the same day.

There are some notable tracks for your consideration, "Stronger" and "Good Life", "Homecoming" (which will be a single).

I think the problem with hip-hop is the genre is slipping in quality because the artists get their money so easy, people buy their albums and accept them simply on reputation or as some form of street cred.

This album isn't going to set any records and be recognised as a classic, but it is a worthy attribution to the album releases of 2007.

New style works, Kanye just would like some more heart and interest, seems to be lacking any oomph!

No different to what Snoop was doing ten years or more ago.

But not a complete disappointment!

Made of Bricks
Made of Bricks
Offered by b68solutions

2.0 out of 5 stars "Listen NOW! This is Tripe!" LOL Now that's a review well done that man below., 13 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Made of Bricks (Audio CD)
I wouldn't quite go that far, it is however without a doubt your poor version of Lily Allen, totally brought together through some software program for background music.

The lyrics are far from articulate; the annoyingly repetitive "d*ckhead" being the biggest culprit. Then again by the time you reach the end of "Mariella" you want to throw something large and heavy at the stereo just to stop the annoying little Londoner.

When you first play (no pun intended) the first track you think 'what the hell have I stumbled on here" and no this is not "true to life" in any form as some suggest.

It is random thoughts given in a narrative that doesn't particularly add up to being about anything substantial. I say narrative as that is how Ms Nash's "singing" presents itself most of the time; she so obviously has no vocal talent whatsoever. There's little more to be said of her song writing talent.

Simply cashing in on sound alike success without much effort or realism and more importantly even a tiny glimpse of talent, and on listening to this album you get the distinct impression it was all rushed and thrown together for exposure.

OK I kinda agree with tripe 8 -) but I shall go for the more articulate lacklustre and deficient of any creativity, with "Foundations" being the only minor saving grace.

Curtis
Curtis

2.0 out of 5 stars 50 Cent Shouldn't Be Curtis, 13 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Curtis (Audio CD)
Yes, well we all know hip-hop is apparently dead. If you listen enough to this poor effort you will certainly wish it was. "Ayo Technology" is by far the premium track, but it just is an awful sounding, bland album. The aforementioned is memorable for the harmonies, but the instrumental track is one of the most annoying I have ever heard. I think "Ayo" only works because of JT's voice and the influence of Timbaland. "Amusement Park" is the only other track well worth a mention.

The same rhythm competing from beginning to end through each track and let's all say "b*tch" a few times (Yeah, now that makes a masterpiece and a classy musical experience) is a bit naïve in this world of hip-hop domination, a bit more bassline wouldn't go amiss either.

This is supposed to be angry and it shows, but this isn't just angry it's downright frustrated and an almost dangerous personality shining through - a bit schizophrenic here and there, one minute they're "b*tches" the next "Ladies". I guess this is how to prevent an accumulation of reacting with violence and express oneself appropriately - through music. Energize that anger 50 Cent by all means, but leave the alter ego Curtis behind, and be our 50 Cent - that's who you are, man. Stop moaning about Kanye getting more attention and look inward for the reasons why this album isn't more appreciated. It simply doesn't deserve to be, the expression of oneself here is weak and uninteresting. The production is poor, even with Dre and Eminem in there; it is shoddy and lacking any real heart.

Thankfully I borrowed this album and didn't buy it. It shall be handed back to its owner later tonight with a great deal of satisfaction in getting it off my hands as it is instantly forgettable.

Incidentally Kanye's album is a marked improvement on this, but not gonna set your world on fire either.

Version
Version

2.0 out of 5 stars Marky Boy!!!! What are YOU doing, Mate?, 13 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Version (Audio CD)
"Where do I begin with the story of my life" - sorry was having a Shirley Bassey moment there.

(Thankfully she doesn't appear on the album)

This album gets two stars for four reasons, One for "Valerie" (Amy Winehouse), a quarter part star for "Oh My God" (Lily Allen) and a quarter star for Robbie Williams (no they don't deserve one each), the other half star goes to Daniel Merriweather "Stop Me".

I ask you what the heck is that instrumental of horns on the Coldplay classic "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" all about???? Even more so that poor man's ragga attempt, "Toxic"???

OK Daniel was good, not great, but good. I really liked Lily's cover, but not enough to go for this album. I then heard Amy's "Valerie" and thought yep, that's the one for me.

Big mistake; those tracks are your limit for greatness, though the Robbie Williams Charlatans cover was mildly entertaining (mainly because the intro reminded me of Jimi Hendrix If 6 was 9 - Just before the horns). "The Only One I Know" will probably be the next and final single actually. Though it is not a patch on the original, "Valerie" is the only one better than the original.

But yes, I mean I like horns, and I love jazz and swing, but the same horn sound, the same rhythm every track it just penetrates your brain like worms eating into it (thank you Pink Floyd), Whatever you do don't listen through headphones, I listened to this on my Archos 604 and man it gave me a headache after, and it wasn't even loud. OK "LSF" with Kasabian (they being the original artists) doesn't have any horns that I remember. I can imagine what they said to Mark Ronson when he said "horns". Unfortunately Amazon would delete my review if I suggested that here. 8 -)

This album has remained in the British album charts for weeks and weeks and months, and I thought after "Valerie" OK, must be good. I had another thought coming - and it wasn't a positive one. Of course on past performance that stands for nothing with the good ole British CD buying public.

Sorry, Amy and Daniel, possibly Lily and to a lot lesser extent Robbie are your positives and that's your lot, you pays your money and you takes your chance. Remember, though a good gambler knows when to walk away!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2008 2:30 PM BST