Profile for Nick Sydenham > Reviews

Content by Nick Sydenham

Nick Sydenham

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
In Praise of Older Women: The amorous recollections of Andrįs Vajda (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Stephen Vizinczey

3.0 out of 5 stars Unerotic, 14 Jun. 2010
I bought this slim book because it has been marketed recently as something of a lost modern classic. There's a risqué feel to the title and the cover, but I found it about as erotic as the cardboard packaging my Amazon order came in. I suspect a large part of the problem I had was with the language the author used (the word 'rape' is used on several occasions when, I think, the meaning should be 'seduce'), but it reminded me of something a schoolboy would produce when asked to write an essay on sex. Very disappointing.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2012 12:23 PM BST

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 14 Jun. 2010
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
I read this in one sitting on holiday whilst relaxing on the beach, and it's perfect summer reading. A funny, touching, warm and romantic novel which left me a bit wistful for some of the good friends from my younger days who are no longer around. I will keep an eye on David Nicholls for the future and will investigate some of his other stuff.

Notwithstanding: Stories from an English Village
Notwithstanding: Stories from an English Village
by Louis De Berničres

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Jun. 2010
I enjoyed Louis de Bernieres' other novels and so, as I live in a small English village, I thought this would be right up my country lane. But I found it hugely disappointing. Maybe the foreign settings of his other books give them a romanticism which I find lacking in Notwithstanding. The village and its inhabitants all seem so stereotyped, as if the book has been written by someone whose only exposure to English villages is through episodes of Miss Marple on TV (I know this is not the case as it is based on the author's own experiences). Usually I'll share my books with family or friends, but I'm afraid this has gone straight down to the charity shop.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2011 12:01 AM BST

BALANCE 014: MIXED BY JORIS VOORN
BALANCE 014: MIXED BY JORIS VOORN

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good indeed, 30 Sept. 2009
I like all sorts of music and occasionally I will dip my toe into the electronica / dance waters to check the temperature. I've bought one or two DJ mixes over the years and this is up there with the best of them. The quality of the mixing is first rate and, as other reviewers have suggested, on occasion is it impossible to tell where one track ends and the other begins. My only slight criticism is that there is very little variation in the first part of the first CD. That said, the rest of it is great. In particular, I can't stop playing the final track, Mare Frigoris, by Spinvis. It's weird, but strangely beautiful.

Celebrity: How Entertainers Took Over The World and Why We Need an Exit Strategy
by Marina Hyde

4.0 out of 5 stars "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come and sit next to me", 28 Aug. 2009
If your mouth has ever dropped open in amazement at the latest 'celebrity' scandal / rumour, then this is the book for you. It's bitchy, funny and very intelligent. The only disappointment is that few, if any, of the celebrities Marina Hyde pillories will read what she (and I) think of their stupid ways.

Ibm 1401 - A User's Manual
Ibm 1401 - A User's Manual

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 28 Aug. 2009
An album about the first computer installed in Iceland probably wouldn't immediately jump out at you as something of beauty, but this is an absolute treat. Jóhann Jóhannsson is a contemporary of Sigur Rós and, whilst this shares some of the ambient electronic feel of Iceland's finest, the music that Jóhannsson makes is much more classical. Calm, relaxing and very beautiful.

The Seldom Seen Kid
The Seldom Seen Kid

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous, 29 Sept. 2008
This review is from: The Seldom Seen Kid (Audio CD)
Elbow have been floating around on the edge of my musical world for some time now. An occasional track would appear on some free CD given away by a music magazine and I'd make a mental note to investigate them at some point in the future, but never did. Then I heard 'Grounds for Divorce' on another free CD and immediately looked to see who it was. So I bought the album. And it's absolutely superb, feeling like a 'complete' album, where every track fits into place. I can't see this being beaten as my favourite album of 2008.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2010 4:47 PM BST

Dear Science
Dear Science

4.0 out of 5 stars Loud and Shouty, 29 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Dear Science (Audio CD)
There are loads of different musical styles all thrown into this great meting-pot of an album and what emerges is jolly good indeed. Whilst it's never going to appear on anyone's classic albums list, I would suggest it's one of the best releases this year and well worth anyone's money.

For Emma Forever Ago
For Emma Forever Ago

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant, 29 Sept. 2008
This review is from: For Emma Forever Ago (Audio CD)
If you like Sufjan Stevens, Beirut or Bright Eyes, you'll like this. It's very nice, mellow and easy to listen to (if a bit 'samey'), but at the end of it you may well be longing for something a bit more LOUD AND SHOUTY to wake you up.

Horny As a Dandy, Part 1
Horny As a Dandy, Part 1
Offered by InfinityBuys

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!, 17 Aug. 2008
If you like 'Bohemian Like You' by the Dandy Warhols, don't even think twice. Buy / download this record. First it will make you smile. Then, after it drills itself into your brain it will become one of your all time favourite records of all time. Brillant.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4