Profile for IJKS > Reviews

Content by IJKS

IJKS (Brighton)

Cat toy-Feather Teaser (4106)
Cat toy-Feather Teaser (4106)
Offered by Brindle Bear
Price: 3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Suitable for all Cats, 20 Feb 2013
I bought this item last week and although it arrived on time, it turned out to be a pretty useless toy. It had been out of the packet for less than five seconds before the feathers started falling out. I do have a pretty exuberant cat but I've had other versions of this toy and they've at least lasted months. This particular one was reduced to a useless stub within five minutes of playing so I'd say it wasn't suitable for all cats.

Woof! (Puffin)
Woof! (Puffin)
by Allen Ahlberg
Price: 4.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Enjoyable, 4 Mar 2011
This review is from: Woof! (Puffin) (Paperback)
This was one of my favourite books when I was a child. I was very small when I read it but I've kept it all these years. For the sake of nostalgia, I re-read it recently and it's still good even though I am an adult now. That, to me, is a good book. It really takes you back to being a child. It's funny. It's imaginative. And it's the most unrealistic story written in the most realistic narrative. The author's ability to normalise a story about a boy randomly turning into a dog, is remarkable. I really enjoyed reading this as a child and I really enjoyed revisiting it as an adult. I have now passed my copy onto my six year old nephew and he is very much looking forward to reading it too.

Olivia's Luck
Olivia's Luck
by Catherine Alliott

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Engaging, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: Olivia's Luck (Paperback)
Aside from the casual but fortunately only ocassional use of homophobic language and a tendancy for characters to drink and drive, this is a brilliant read.

I've never read a Catherine Alliot book before but I will definitely be purchasing more of her work. It's interesting, engaging, full of twists and turns and tells much more of a story than your run of the mill broken hearted woman.

You feel frustrated with Olivia when she muddles blindly through situations that you've already figured out, and you want to shake her out of her love for Johnny. But you also celebrate with her during the wonderful times and laugh along with the witty, warm narration.

I can't say that the material is something I particularly relate to and my life couldn't be further away from the life of the main character but I enjoyed it immensely anyway, which is a testament to how great the writing is.

And Olivia's daughter, Claudia is one of the best characters ever written! Genius.