Profile for Doctor Worm > Reviews

Content by Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm (Portugal)

Warhawk - Game Only (PS3)
Warhawk - Game Only (PS3)
Offered by CDandVinyl

5.0 out of 5 stars Online as good as it gets, 29 July 2008
I'm not here to tell you how good Warhawk is. Just look at my ratings for this game and you'll understand how I feel about it. I think it's far more important to let you know how and why I learn to love it.

Warhawk was one of the first games I bought for the PS3 almost one year ago. By that time, I wanted a headset and, since I enjoy air-fighting games (AC anyone?) I thought it was a good idea to get the pack. The first time I played it, just like, let's say, 99.9% of Warhawk noobs, I died one hundred times in the first five minutes - ok, I'm exaggerating a bit, just a bit since I died a lot! Sometimes I could not understand how I died and other times I could not even be alive for 5 seconds. After several tries, although I thought the game was nice, I also found it too frustrating and, since I had other games to play, I put it on my shelf to rest.

After a couple of months, a friend of mine that was looking for a headset asked me about a good online game. I told him about Warhawk and my feelings about it. But he didn't get scared and bought it. So I was sucked into the game again because of him. And, I'm glad I did.

With time, I could understand how great the game is. It's not the visuals, it's not the sound, it's not the gameplay and it is not the variety. It's everything entangled and how it makes you feel. This is not a war simulator, but you can feel like you are in the middle of the most intensive battle (let's say, a cartoonish epic battle). Bullets buzz around, planes fly by, missiles roar through the skies, explosions everywhere. It's a fast paced gameplay raised to the power of two.

Warhawk needs time to be enjoyed since it has one of the steepest learning curves I have ever experienced in a game. It has a lot to learn - maps, vehicles, weapons, pickups, good hiding points, base capturing, strategies, combat techniques, game modes and many, many more. You can play it as you whish, by air on planes, with jeeps, with tanks, with anti-air turrets, by foot, sneaking or jumping in the middle of a group of enemies. You can always try different and strange things. Is up to you. It's a sandbox made on a war zone.

Play with a friend or with friends and help each other. Learn how to play as a team. If you get frustrated for dying too much, don't be. Everybody dies a lot and every time you die you learn something. I still die a lot, I still curse a lot, I still sweat a lot but by the end of the game, I just want to start another one.

I have played really good online games such as Call of Duty 4, Burnout Paradise or Grand Theft Auto IV, but if you want me to name my favourite one, that would be Warhawk.

Burnout Paradise (PS3)
Burnout Paradise (PS3)
Offered by PROGAMES

5.0 out of 5 stars Made in Paradise..., 11 Feb. 2008
The fifth installement of Burnout is placed in an open world environment named Paradise City. This new approach changes completely the concept created by the previous Burnout games, but is it for the better?

Definitely yes! Burnout Paradise revamps the notion of fun. Apart from the initial (and long) loading screen, there isn't one single load during the entire game. You can play the game from start till end without a stop in the action. When talking about next generation game enhancements, it's this kind of stuff gamers are expecting. Of course this change comes with a price, which is getting used to it. Having an entire city to explore with hundreds of events to run and hundreds of goals to achieve can be overwhelming at first but, as soon as you get the hang of it, you will never want to see another menu in your life. What do you prefer, spending a couple of minutes going through menus and loading screens or spending that time driving and having fun until you reach the next event? I would go for the fun.

Paradise City is packed with thing to do. You can race several cars in a race event. You can try to escape mad drivers in a marked man pursuit. You can perform crazy stunts in a stunt run. You can takedown other racers in a road rage. You can even prove yourself with a specific car in a burning route. All these are scattered around Paradise City. Almost each intersection has one, which allows you, most of the times, to start another event as soon as you finish one. Apart from it you have 400 shortcut passages to discover, 120 burnout billboards to destroy and 50 super jumps to try. Each street has one time to beat and one crash amount to achieve. As you progress the game, you unlock up till 75 different cars. As you can now imagine, the single player experience can take you hours and hours and hours of fun, adrenaline and, of course, incredible destruction - this is Burnout, dude!

This time around, and due to the open world without menus concept there is no restart button when you fail an event. This was one of the most criticized issues in Burnout Paradise and, yes, it could have been implemented, but this is really not a big problem. You don't need to try and retry for the same event if you don't want to, except in burning routes which can turn your frustration levels a bit up if you constantly fail and have to return to the same place to try it again. The only remarkable complaint I have is the crash mode now called showtime that comes with some changes in the gameplay. Although being fun as well, it doesn't really make us forget the thrills of crash mode, after touch and impact time from older installements. All in all, this issue is not enough to spoil the experience of playing Burnout Paradise.

Cars are now divided into three different categories. Speed cars are fast but aren't very strong on impact and can only boost when burnout meter is completely full. But, if you boost continuously, you get consecutive burnouts, this means that if done correctly, you can boost indefinitely. These cars are suitable for races. Aggression cars are heavy but very resistant which makes them a good choice for marked man and road rage events. Stunt cars are in-between the other two categories, great for stunt run events, billboard crashes and overall city exploration.

Going online is as simple as a couple of presses in the d-pad and you're again set to hundreds of goals to be achieved. The host player of the game has an incredible amount of events to challenge other players, and those challenges vary according to the number of players in a game from two to eight. For instance, he can order every player to join in the baseball stadium or he can order all the players to get a certain drift distance or a certain amount of barrel rolls. Races can also be set online. All this events establish a new way of cooperative gaming, or not. You can go online just for the fun of pursuing and annoying another gamers. Online play is a wonderful experience with no lag at all and a solid use of the Bluetooth headset for online chat and the eye camera to send snapshots when a takedown occurs.

Visually speaking, this game has still no rival in the race games. Paradise is a glamorous city with beautiful landscapes and areas including costal, mountain, harbours, airfields beaches and many, many more. Car models are brilliantly detailed. You can really see the city's landscape reflecting in the shining car metal. Everything comes at a 60 frames per second without a single drop down even when million things are happening at the same time. Popups can be experienced but won't spoil the gameplay. Actually, in a large amount of hours I spent within the game, I've only witnessed it once. Regarding the crashes, they are awesome. The car really deforms naturally when crashing against objects sending debris and car parts everywhere. Every crash is a stunning piece of visual art.

The sound effects matches the graphics but the soundtrack, although not bad at all for a racing game, could be a bit better. DJ Atomika had the worst reviews out there but, not being the best voice in a game, for sure it's not the most annoying and I kind enjoy him. But, if you don't, you can turn it off.

Summing all this, Burnout Paradise is a rock solid arcade racing game that will boost your adrenaline each and every second. Burnout fans should not get disappointed, and even if you do, you should give it some time because it will grow on you, and the game definitely deserves it. A must have title.

Takedown!