Profile for Rosetta > Reviews

Content by Rosetta

Rosetta "Fantasy Fanatic" (UK)

Twilight's Dawn: A Black Jewels Book (Black Jewels Trilogy)
Twilight's Dawn: A Black Jewels Book (Black Jewels Trilogy)
by Anne Bishop

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional!, 20 Sep 2011
I don't often write reviews but in this case I felt I had to respond to the negativity surrounding the fourth novella of this book, 'The High Lord's Daughter'. I will try to be spoiler free but I can't promise anything. Firstly I adored the bittersweet story as I felt it had a sense of realism which was endearing as unfortunately as much as we would like it otherwise, nature has rules and I think it was very brave and courageous of Anne Bishop to have written what was probably a difficult piece to write as well as read. I loved the story and I really felt the emotion of it (there were a few teary moments!). The Black Jewels trilogy is the first fantasy series I ever read, many years ago and it has stayed in my top 3 favourites despite some serious competition. I commend Anne Bishop on this story and for me, has provided the closure I hadn't realised I needed. Having said that, if any more Black Jewels novels are in the pipeline I will be more than ecstatic to read them!

Empress: Godspeaker: Book One
Empress: Godspeaker: Book One
by Karen Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Special..., 25 Jan 2009
Having previously read Karen Miller's 'Innocent Mage' and disliked it, i felt that perhaps i should give her another go. However, i found that i was, once again, dissapointed. The story is good, the writing is good and i have no fault with the basics of this book. I do however, find myself not caring about her characters, in fact i tried to like Hekat, i felt sorry fo her at the start but as things went on and her arrogance grew i found more and more that i didn't care what happened to her or the other characters, which for me is a very important aspect of a book.

Because of my indifference to the characters i found myself growing rapidly bored, but this is just my opinion because i like books that are character driven where you can connect with the character on some level. Zandakar however, was a redeeming feature of this book. I found myself interested in him which helped to regain my interest in the book. I found the ending predictable but still good notheless.

I would say if you want to like the protagonist, don't read it. If you would like to read a book, just for a fairly good story and don't mind the word 'god' rammed into your brain every sentence, then i think you will like this. For all my criticisms though, i find myself carring on and reading book two and thouroughly enjoying it, i think it must just be Hekat i find offensive...

The High Lord: The Black Magician Trilogy Book Three
The High Lord: The Black Magician Trilogy Book Three

5.0 out of 5 stars What will I read now!!!, 13 Mar 2005
Firstly I would like to say that I am devastated that I have finished reading the books. What will I read now? The Black Magician Trilogy is sooo BRILLIANT that I doubt I will ever be able to find anything to match its standards!
We return to Imardin in the third book, with the High Lord as Sonea's guardian, the novice's treating Sonea with a little respect and Rothen and Lorlen dreading what will happen to the guild and Sonea now that Akkarin knows that they know his secret. What will happen to Sonea now? Living with the dangerous and mysterious High Lord...not what you think would happen!!! With Magic, Mystery, Love and Danger how can you feel anything but LOVE for this book!
This book had me laughing, crying and giggling. In this book I related to Sonea in alot of ways. As a older teenage girl I found that Sonea and I thought about certain things in the same way, which was brilliant because she is a magician and obviously I am not. This is just another example of brilliant characterisation!! I loved the little twist at the end and without spoiling things I will say that I didn't just cry because the book had ended!! I am extremely sorry to finish this trilogy and I hope beyond hope that Trudi Canavan continues to write such enthralling and exciting tales such as the Black Magician Trilogy. All lovers of magic and fantasy tales will love this.

The Novice: Book 2 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)
The Novice: Book 2 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Again there is nothing like this book!, 13 Mar 2005
The Novice, the second book in the trilogy, continues the story of Sonea, Rothen, Ceryni, Lorlen and the High Lord Akkarin. After discovering a little secret Sonea, Rothen and Lorlen live in fear of the High Lord. As well as that, Sonea is having difficulties with her fellow novice's in the Magicians Guild. What will happen to her in the next few years...?
Again Trudi Canavan manages to knock my socks off with an absolutely fantastic book ( and yes im running out of good adjectives to describe this brilliant book). I LOVE the way Trudi writes, as I find myself easily lost in the Land of Kyralia and the Magicians Guild. I am on to the last book (The High Lord) now and no doubt I will weep for ages when i have no more excellent books about Sonea and the Magicians Guild to read.
This is a book that I expect I will re-read for the rest of my life. I love the characters and will be thoroughly upset when I have nothing about them left to read. Again if you like fantasy books and authors such as Garth Nix and Philip Pullman then you will LOVE this book as I do.

The Magicians' Guild: Book 1 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)
The Magicians' Guild: Book 1 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Like It!!!!!! (Its a Five star!), 13 Mar 2005
From the moment I first started to read this book I was completely hooked. The way Trudi Canavan writes is truly fantastic and I have never read a book that has as much detail and excitement as this book has. The characters are superb and the slice of humour in this book had me in stitches.

It all starts with Sonea. A 'slum girl'. Throughout this book we follow the activities of Sonea, her friends and of course The Magicians Guild ( A place that I would love to attend!). A tale of hidden secrets, dangerous magicians and fantastic love interests continued in The Novice and The Hight Lord.

I am a great fan of fantasy books and I can safely say that the Black magician trilogy are the most fantastic books I have ever read. If you like authors such as Garth Nix, Philip Pullman and J.K Rowling you will truly love this book!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2012 9:06 PM BST