Profile for Brentwood > Reviews

Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal (Mini) Stick
Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal (Mini) Stick
Offered by Atlantic Trading from USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size., 4 Sep 2013
I've been using crystal sticks for some time now but a couple of the larger ones tend to crack after a while so this time I opted for the smaller size which is much better, also, you can put this size in your hand luggage which is great.

I've always applied mine once in the morning and all but the hottest days I've not had to reapply at all until the next morning.

I started using crystal sticks many years ago when I learnt of the link between breast cancer and anti-perspirants, I also used to find my underarms became incredibly sore during my menstrual cycle when I used anti-perspirant, since using these all symptoms have gone. This proved to me that the anti-perspirants were literally blocking the pores and stopping my body perspiring. Not something I would recommend! This product however I would recommend.

Andrew James Cake Decorating / Icing Turntable.
Andrew James Cake Decorating / Icing Turntable.
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!, 4 Sep 2013
I knew I should have bought this sooner! Between this and the cake wire cutter my cake making is less messy and more professional.

I've been procrastinating as to whether I should buy this turntable for a couple of months but it came to a head two weeks ago when I made a mess of things and nearly knocked a cake on the floor so I just ordered it and I'm very pleased I did.

It's nice and lightweight and doesn't take up too much space which is great for my small abode (and tiny kitchen).

Birkmann 420212 Cake Cutter with Height-Adjustable Saw Wire 30 cm Cutting Width Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased., 4 Sep 2013
I've given this wire cutter 5 stars as it is the best cutter I've used so far. I've tried using a knife but you never get the nice even finish. Yes I did have to hold one side of the cake whilst I sawed (that's the motion you need to use to get the wire through) the cake in half but I was really pleased with the finished result.

My only regret is that I spent so long deciding whether or not to buy it!

Bananagrams Game
Bananagrams Game
Offered by Lovely Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive., 27 July 2013
This review is from: Bananagrams Game (Toy)
A friend of mine brought this on holiday and we all stayed up far too late with far too much wine playing it.

Be aware, the version I bought was a cheap copy of the original and believe me there is a difference in quality but it's still a great game but I will pass it in and get a proper version soon.

Anger: Buddhist Wisdom for Cooling the Flames
Anger: Buddhist Wisdom for Cooling the Flames
by Thich Nhat Hanh

5.0 out of 5 stars Very calming., 30 April 2013
This book has done more to calm my thoughts and give me insight into consumption than any amount of talking has ever done.

It is simple and to the point. It doesn't push Buddhism, only demonstrates the practices in Buddhism and how they can be implemented to help understand anger.

I liked the concept that anger is to be acknowledged and embraced as ignoring it simply does not solve the issue rather, makes it worse.

I also enjoyed the other practices used to listen to people, I've actually implemented mindful listening on a basic level as has my partner and it has had a very positive impact.

Since reading this book I have recommended it to three people who have all commented that above all, it is calming and helps them reflect on their daily practices.

Kenwood Compact FP120 1.4 Litre Food Processor - White
Kenwood Compact FP120 1.4 Litre Food Processor - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little chopper!, 30 April 2013
I have a large Kenwood processor but wanted something for daily use and this fits the bill.

I mainly use it for grating and chopping vegetables for salads and quiches but I have recently used the mini blades and condenser canopy to smooth out cream cheese frosting for carrot cake and I was stunned that it worked so well.

This comes with grating (small grate), slicing and whipping attachments and a condenser canopy, which is a plastic cover that fits inside the main container and is used to push the contents back down towards the attachment.

This is compact with a pulse and full speed options, it's feisty and there isn't an in between speed. It's footprint is about the same as a long slot four-slice toaster.

I first saw one at a friends house two years ago and procrastinated about buying one on the basis that I have a perfectly good full size food processor, I should have just bought it back then, it would have saved me a lot of time and it's quick and easy to clean.

Women's W1459 Kso Vibram Five Fingers Grey Velcro Barefoot Running Trainers
Women's W1459 Kso Vibram Five Fingers Grey Velcro Barefoot Running Trainers

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I thought they would be like., 24 April 2013
I've been wanting to try barefoot running since reading the book that has probably made these shoes well known (Born to run) but the price was always sky high which didn't encourage me to give up my Brooks. However, I bought mine on a day when they were reduced significantly and I'm not disappointed so far.

I did read many Amazon reviews about starting slow and taking it easy, especially if you're a heel striker (which I am) as your calves won't know what has hit them. I am so glad I heeded this advice. I started with a laughable 2km (and was tempted to tun more as I felt really good) interval run around a track and felt it for three days in my calves, going down stairs was pretty painful but it soon wears off.

I was really stumped on sizing so I visited the Vibrams website and sized up my feet as per their instructions and I am a 39 (this would make sense as this is my daily shoe size) so that's what I ordered.

They are very snug and tricky to get into but once you have the knack it's straightforward enough. I was hoping to get some toe socks for the winter run but I can assure you, nothing else is getting in these shoes but my feet. I may have to order another pair for winter running that are a size or two bigger so I can wear toe socks for warmth. What did help warmth-wise was wearing a pair of woollen dance leg warmers and pulling them right down until the bottom ends attach to the exposed velcro.

All in all I am very happy indeed. Just a little note that may or may not help people, I am not a marathon or distance runner, I simply run for the pure pleasure of it. Some days I time myself other days I go with the flow (usually with my dog). Because I'm not a full-on runner I took my approach very gently, I figured that you couldn't alter a lifetime of constructed shoe wearing and trainer running in just a few sessions. I've read that those new to barefoot running should give 6-12 months to perfect running technique and this is my intention.

Hama 'Tech-Fabric' Notebook Hard Case up to 15.6 Inches 40 cm Black
Hama 'Tech-Fabric' Notebook Hard Case up to 15.6 Inches 40 cm Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Chic and practical., 22 Mar 2013
Having lugged around a cheap laptop holder for quite some time I decided to upgrade to something a little more chic.

I have a Hama Tom Tom protective case and have always been very happy with it so I was swayed towards Hama again on this occasion.

I'm very pleased with the case. It's lightweight and fits my Toshiba Satellite C650 like a glove. It has a little pocket inside that the charger will fit in but that is all you would fit into the case. Fine by me as that's all I need it for.

There is a velcro strap inside that secures the laptop and the outer case is moulded with a little flexibilty but provides good protection.

What could be improved is a clip on shoulder strap, it would be handy to sling on a shoulder whilst at the airport getting documents out of my handbag.

I would like to add I bought this mainly for air travel, which is why I wanted something simple and lightweight (bearing in mind my travel laptop is not very lightweight) so if I had to carry this from meeting to meeting everyday, the absence of a shoulder strap might affect your decision.

On the whole, I'm very pleased with yet another Hama product.

Randall 50 Super Strong Glue Dots. For Holding Your Sustainer In Your Container.
Offered by Randall's Candles

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought to anchor a sustainer., 19 Mar 2013
I bought these as I'm starting off in candle making and wanted to anchor the sustainers. The delivery was nice and quick but being honest, the dots are rather on the small side and didn't hold too well.

Now, this could be that I ordered the wrong item for my needs but I transferred over to Pritt Permanent Glue dots and they were better.

I have since discovered that the best approach is to glue the sustainer with two Pritt glue dots, pour a little of the melted wax in (just enough to cover the sustainer), let it set and then add the rest of the wax. I know, schoolboy error.

New Large 900ml Stainless Steel Coffee Frothing Milk Jug
New Large 900ml Stainless Steel Coffee Frothing Milk Jug
Offered by Macallen Importers

5.0 out of 5 stars Okay it's only a jug but ideal for small candle making!, 19 Mar 2013
I needed a just to get started with candle making and this fits the bill nicely.

The handle is ideal as it hooks over the edge of the water pan and the wax melts at a steady pace.

It is on the small side so I am now buying a larger one as my confidence has grown with practice. I refilled two of the glass Glade candle pots and one small votive candle from one jug so not bad really.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2014 6:42 PM GMT