Profile for Noodles > Reviews

I'm Not Scared
I'm Not Scared
Price: 4.12

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing read, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: I'm Not Scared (Kindle Edition)
I'm not going to describe the story, other have done that. I liked the style of writing, fast paced, not overly complicated or bombastic, dialogue was good. At times the story was a little contrived and unbelievable - would a nine year old savvy boy really behave like that? At times the boy was very intelligent, at other times - utterly stupid. Why didn't he help the boy escape right at the start like anyone normally would? The answer is that would ruin the story! The kidnapped boy behaved like a moron, then right at the end came to his senses.
But the main thing that really let the story down for me was the ending. It was totally naff! There was no conclusion, did he die or not? Earlier on in the book the boy is telling the story as a man which seems to indicate he lived at the end. Or was the boy/man telling the story really the boy who was kidnapped and the lad really died?
If the objective of the author is to get the reader to work out their own ending, then sorry, I hate those stories. I didn't invest all that time reading the thing to have to work out my own ending. I mean come on, that is what the author is paid for! If I wanted to work out my own endings I'd write my own books!
Also the build up to the end was not entirely original, there was echoes of "Boy in the striped pyjamas' in there somewhere.
Overall I was disappointed by a poor ending, felt cheated.

A Christmas Carol
A Christmas Carol

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, Read it!, 16 May 2014
This review is from: A Christmas Carol (Kindle Edition)
What more can be said. This book is old, but it is timeless and the message it gives is still relevant today as it was when it was written. Just read and enjoy.

LDS Scriptures - Complete LDS Standard Works with Footnotes - over 300,000 Links
Price: 1.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Kindle, 16 May 2014
Excellent set of LDS scripture for the Kindle. One thing to be said though, it is ok if you just want to read, but if you want to study and jump about a bit then it is not a patch on the Gospel Library app on the iPad. But then that is down to the machine rather than the book. The Kindle is just not meant to be used in that way.

A Dog of Flanders
A Dog of Flanders

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with this one, 16 May 2014
This review is from: A Dog of Flanders (Kindle Edition)
Only one word for it, incredibly dull. Mmmm, that's two words! In one word then.... boring! I would rather watch paint dry than read this drivel.

Ben-Hur; a tale of the Christ
Ben-Hur; a tale of the Christ
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do with a good modern rewrite, 16 May 2014
I haven't read it all yet, but up to now it is a very long drawn out tale. The meeting of the three wise men goes on..... and on...... and on...... and on....... zzzzzz!

I have got very used to pressing the page forward button and skipping the woffle! Still I will persevere to the bitter end just because the film was so good.

Big Book of Whittle Fun: 31 Simple Projects You Can Make with a Knife, Branches & Other Found Wood
by Chris Lubkemann
Price: 7.62

2.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat lacking in imagination, 11 Oct 2013
Perhaps I was expecting too much from this book....
As an older person I have had experience over the years in a number of hobby and craft activities. I bought this book expecting to find new challenges and a new craft hobby to experiment with. Instead I found it a little too simplistic, all right for a 12 year old boy to amuse himself for an hour or two but not for a grown man. Toy row boats? I don't think so. It was also a little too Americanized for my taste. Baseball bats could I suppose but substituted for cricket bats and stumps, but then why bother making them in the first place? A lot of the items required the use of other tools from the workshop such as chisels, saws and power tools. I thought the whole idea of the pastime was to make things with just a pocket knife.
The rooster, sorry, cockerel, was the most challenging thing in the book, and it is quite hard to make, but the rest of the stuff is very bland and wouldn't tax the most in-experienced practical person for more than a few minutes. Name tags, knitting needles and fridge magnets are not what I call the pinnacle of craft work. I was expecting more tutorials on carving figurines, animals or faces, and maybe instructions on using the other tools found on a Swiss Army Knife, but they were not even mentioned. The only carving in the book was that of an owl and was to be blunt, quite poor - not something I would put on my desk or mantelpiece. It won't put me off whittling as a hobby, but I will be looking for something a little more testing.
Sorry but my copy of the book is already on ebay.

Three Degrees of Glory by Melvin J Ballard
Three Degrees of Glory by Melvin J Ballard
Price: 0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but a bit thin., 11 Sep 2013
This book is plain and to the point. It tells you what to expect when you die - from the LDS point of view.
A good read but I was expecting it to be a bit thicker.

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy [Annotated]
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy [Annotated]
Price: 1.83

3.0 out of 5 stars A labour of love to read it, 11 Sep 2013
Buy this if you really need too..... Its a good read but by heck does it take some time to get to the end.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this knife, my favorite toy!, 11 Sep 2013
This is a great pocket knife, thicker blades than normal and the alloy sides won't chip or break. Well worth the money. If you like pocket knives buy one or regret it.

Victorinox Pocket Pal Swiss Army Pocket Tool
Victorinox Pocket Pal Swiss Army Pocket Tool
Offered by Big Red Toolbox
Price: 11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but a great little knife to have in your pocket, 11 Sep 2013
Not as big as the usual Swiss army knives but still highly usable and razor sharp. Slips easily into the most unobtrusive pockets and is a handy set of blades for those unexpected jobs.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3