Profile for MARINA URQUIDI > Reviews

Content by MARINA URQUIDI

MARINA URQUIDI

The Reappearing Characters in Balzac's "Comedie Humaine" (Studies in the Romance Languages and Literature, No. 37)
by Arthur Graves Canfield

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect more than it is!, 29 April 2013
If you are an avid Balzac reader like I am and would like to have a reference handy to place the reappearing characters of La Comédie Humaine in their different stories/novels, this is not what you are looking for. It is a 60-page academic study published in 1947 that analyzes how Balzac got the idea of reappearing characters and then went on to develop it. It is not uninteresting, but not what I had hoped for, so I'm warning future potential buyers that what they are looking for is most probably the "Dictionnaire biographique des personnages fictifs de La comédie humaine. Author, Fernand Lotte. Publisher, J. Corti, 1952," also hard to find and rather expensive. I got this reference in Canfield's study, so at least it was good for that. Nice study, but mistaken order on my part.

Oh Mercy
Oh Mercy

5.0 out of 5 stars A great discovery, 30 Aug 2011
This review is from: Oh Mercy (Audio CD)
I bought this because it had on it a track I wanted, but did not know the album. It's a great discovery, and a really good addition to a Dylan collection for any Dylan fan. I recommend this album warmly.

Joy of Cooking
Joy of Cooking

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a CD version of the Joy of Cooking!, 21 Aug 2003
This review is from: Joy of Cooking (Audio CD)
When Toni Brown and Terry Garthwaite released their first album in 1971, it was the very first time that the women in a band were not just songwriters and/or singers, but also accomplished musicians (keyboards and guitar) and the actual leaders of the band. In a truly original, easy-going and uniquely feminine interpretation of the country folk-rock style of the late sixties and early seventies, they lent their smooth alto and soprano voices to feelings that only women could express, backed up by creative, high-quality arrangements of many influences, including touches of jazz. Women around the world have kept their vynil LPs as long as they have been able to, pulling them out again and again over the years and identifying still, through the scratchy needles of time, with the abandonment, the hurt and yet the essential life-giving strength that their lyrics portray, and which haven't aged one bit. Some of us have lost our LP and others no longer have that old record player. Now finally (since June 2003), we can take "Joy of Cooking" out of our CD shelf and sublimate our feelings of loss to the tune of "Too Late, but Not Forgotten," the life-goes-on declaration of the love of a woman whose man has left her with their baby, or drift into our present reality (yes, NOW!) of the lost freedom and illusions of our youth to the haunting harmonies of "Red Wine at Noon." Amazing good news for those of us who knew them, and an absolute must for those who did not, men an women, young and old.