Profile for Bob Stevens > Reviews

Bob Stevens

From Here We Go Sublime
From Here We Go Sublime

3.0 out of 5 stars Something lacking..., 7 July 2008
This review is from: From Here We Go Sublime (Audio CD)
It always bothers me whenever I catch myself thinking a piece a dance music is "repetitive". It's often the whole point of a dance track. Thinking this way makes me feel old. Take my mum, for instance. She can't stand to hear the opening of LCD Soundsystem's 'All My Friends', regardless of how bloody beautiful the rest of the track is, because it seems a bit TOO repetitive to her. Listening to 'From Here We Go Sublime', I think I can relate.

My problem with the album isn't necessarily the copy-paste nature of the music being produced. It's the nagging feeling in the back of my head that something's missing from the mix. Almost as if Alex Willner accidentally deleted a few tracks from his ProTools session. And I can't get past that feeling. The music that IS present is adequate enough: looping, thumping and swirling as trance music should. Maybe that's enough for some people.

Looking at other, professional reviews, I think there's a possibility I've missed the point. There must be some reason why its Metacritic rating puts it as the best album of 2007. My first impression stands however. There's something lacking from all of this if you ask me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2011 1:06 PM GMT

Third
Third
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Portishead - Third, 15 May 2008
This review is from: Third (Audio CD)
I'll start this review with a) a confession and b) a confession.

a) I have never heard Portishead's self-titled second album. I'll rectify this sometime soon.

b) I'm somewhat wary about writing my first online music review and giving the subject the maximum score available. But, my god, this record deserves it.

This is something that I've been contemplating for a while now. What makes an album great? Does every track have to be excellent? Or does it simply have to take you on a great journey? Or must it do both?

The signs point to the third answer. And the third answer is fitting of Third.

I can only imagine how long the 11 years since their last studio album have seemed to the Portishead faithful. Mostly because in 1997 I hadn't even discovered Blur yet. But it's most certainly been worth it.

Perhaps the most important thing to write here is this: Third WILL split opinions. And it has. But all it takes to love it is time. And a willingness to be uncomfortable.

To say that the record is bleak is to do it a disservice. I'd much rather call it pessimistic. This is Portishead on the march to an uncertain destination (personified by We Carry On). Indeed, the overall message of the album is unclear. It seems to have songs dealing with all the standard issues music can deal with. Paranoia (Hunter), love (Nylon Smile), death (The Rip), it's all here and it's all beautiful.

My first experience with this work was Portishead's recent appearance on Later with Jools Holland. Ever since that show, the drumbeat of Machine Gun has been firmly burnt into my brain, like the Arctic Monkeys' Fake Tales of San Francisco before it. On repeated listens, I'm starting to hear connections with Europe's The Final Countdown (because The Terminator theme was too obvious to mention), but don't let that put you off. There's Kraftwerk in there too

The writers of the negative reviews that can be found on Amazon clearly didn't listen to The Rip, a magnificent eulogy. I'm tempted to call it Track of the Year, but that would be too hasty of me. Let me simply say this: it's the most beautiful thing Portishead have ever created. Considering that the same group have given us the likes of Glory Box and Only You, that's quite an achievement.

So what of the `journey' that I mentioned at the start of this review? I'd liken it to The Sopranos. It's a journey that's simply too long and involving for one piece of art to show all of it. But one thing's for sure. I can't wait to see where they go next.

Halo 2
Halo 2
Offered by multimedia-online

5.0 out of 5 stars Still got it!, 22 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Halo 2 (Video Game)
Okay, it's clear that this game could never live up to the hype, but it's had a damn good try! In short, Halo 2 is the original in reverse (or from the Covenant point of view). The first few levels embody everything that made the first one the 'Best Game Ever'. It's only when you take control of a Covenant Elite (yes, I know, it's Metal Gear Solid 2 all over again) that you start to doubt some of Bungie's choices. Think of this as Bungie's school report card for Halo 2:PLOT: 9/10 Some more Master Chief backstory please!CHARACTERS: 10/10GRAPHICS: 10/10SOUND: 8/10 Too much rock guitar!GAMEPLAY: 10/10LIFESPAN: 10/10ENDING: 5/10 Must try harder!