Profile for AJH > Reviews

AJH

Nutmeg & Custard: Enjoy great food at home with Britains's finest chef
Nutmeg & Custard: Enjoy great food at home with Britains's finest chef
by Marcus Wareing

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly conceived and no quality control on recipes, 19 Nov. 2012
I had high expectations of this book after eating at one of Marcus Wareing's restaurants (Petrus) some years ago and really enjoying it. I was hoping it would be along the lines of Gordon Ramsay's Cooking for Friends which I found to be very useful for dinner parties and other special meals. However, it couldn't have been further from it!

First of all, just like a lot of 'celebrity' chef books (Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver included), it is full of nauseating photos of the grinning chef himself rather than the food. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if all of the recipes had pictures, but unfortunately many of them don't. This is particularly problematic when the instructions are so vague and the recipes are quite experimental.

The recipes are divided into sections which makes sense, but what doesn't make sense is why so much of the book is dedicated to popcorn, sweets and ice cream. Honestly, who is going to want to throw parma ham and pesto over the top of popcorn?

I consider myself to be a keen amateur home cook/chef, as I am sure most people would be that consider buying this book. I am very good at following recipes, and until I bought this book, I had always managed to get good results. I certainly never had to throw food away! But unfortunately this has happened more than once after cooking Marcus' recipes. One in particular was so bad that a whole shoulder of lamb had to be thrown away. The recipe is for a spiced shoulder of lamb, but in the recipe he talks about a leg of lamb. The timing for slow cooking the lamb is ridiculously short at 2 hours at 150 degrees C. It was still bloody in the middle (and the meat weighed less than the suggested amount, and was at room temp before cooking). Coating the meat in spices before cooking sounded great, like tandoori, tikka or Moroccan-style cooking of lamb, but the results were awful. It looked like someone had puked over the lamb as the greek yoghurt/onion/spice rub simply turned into a congealed mess.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the recipe timings are absurdly short. I like my meat rare, bloody even, but some of the recipe timings would have us eating raw meat! Also, the relative proportions of ingredients make no sense - e.g. huge quantities of unsalted butter, then hardly any salt.

There is also no preamble to most of the recipes to explain their conception, and why we should spend so much of our time cooking them. There are no recipe timings either, to give you an idea of how long the whole thing will take. Also for many of them there is no suggestion of what to accompany the recipe with.

Overall, this is by far the worst recipe book I have ever purchased or been given, and I would suggest that people consider other books for impressing people (or themselves) with their culinery talents.

Tefal Pro Express Turbo GV8360 Steam Generator, Anti Scale, 1.8 Litre Water Tank

2.0 out of 5 stars Good at first but..., 15 April 2011
This steam iron seemed like a great purchase at first - easy to use, large water tank, powerful and relatively quick to heat up. But now it has started spewing brown dirty water all over clothes at random. I have only ever filled it with filtered water and have de-scaled it as often as it has told me to. It is six months old and I couldn't be more disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2012 1:20 PM BST