2 of 4 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars
Very Good, 30 Sep 2011
I guess most of these review's ratings are so high because they're posted as soon as a buyer gets their kindle and are still feeling that new-gadget glow. I thought I'd hold off for a year to submit a more balanced review...
The kindle is very good. It's totally changed my reading habits. I won't be going back to paperbacks. The E-Ink screen is the next best thing to paper and you can carry ALL your books with you, ready to reference, instead of cluttering up your house. Come across a word you don't know? Just look it up without breaking stride. It really is a great way to read a story.
But there is a LOT of room for improvement: Paperback novels are one thing but for reference books with glossy images and diagrams you will need another device (or the real thing).
I bought the 3G version but have not found any use for it, given that the browser is so bad, and I can always wait for a Wi-Fi connection to buy a new book.
If you can live with it limitations (some of which are due to the technology employed) it is great value for money.
+ Screen. Great in bright sunlight (but it's NOT totally non-reflective).
+ Ergonomics. Very natural to hold a use. Small and portable but solid feel.
+ Battery life (remember to turn Wi-Fi off though)
+ Storage capacity.
+ Dictionary and it's integration with the books: my most-used feature.
+ Amazon shop integration. Very easy to buy books - maybe a bit TOO easy ;O)
- Screen. Very dark (compared to a book) in anything other than bright sunlight.
- Build quality. My first one developed "sticky off-switch" and then the case cracked at screen corners (both known issues - see forums). Amazon replaced it with no fuss. The second one's letters are rubbing off the keyboard.
- Web-browser. It's so bad that it's still counted as an "experimental feature" even on the newly released models.
- Lack of 3rd party applications. Developers have been signing up for a year so where are their apps?
- Interface is VERY basic and slow.
- Proprietary book format. There ARE ways round this if you look, so why not just make it open?
- Available books. There are quite a few books I've had to source "elsewhere" as they are not on Amazon.