Profile for Nish Pfister > Reviews

Content by Nish Pfister

Nish Pfister "nhpfister" (Chulmleigh, Devon, U K)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Josef Seibel Men's Max Clog Black 10663-37600  46 EU  11 UK
Josef Seibel Men's Max Clog Black 10663-37600 46 EU 11 UK
Offered by ShoesByPost

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice clogs, 14 April 2015
I like the Josef Seibel clogs, they are well made and look ok. The ones I had before lasted a long time and I got used to them, so I was keen on getting similar ones. On the whole, I'm pleased, but either my feet got bigger, or the size they sent is smaller nowadays.

LUMii 600W SunBlaster HPS Lamp
LUMii 600W SunBlaster HPS Lamp

4.0 out of 5 stars A boost for plant growth, 22 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In the long run, these lamps will probably be replaced by LED's. They are, after all, very energy demanding. But they work well. And if you've got the set up, you are likely to use it for a while longer. The change over to LED's is quite a capital outlay. I use the lamps to boost light levels in the winter time. Then light is the limiting factor for plant growth, especially in poly tunnels and greenhouses, where you have no more than 80% of daylight anyway, probably significantly less. Boosting light levels is the thing to do if you want to keep up production. This bulb has some improvements to benefit flowering plants, which is good if you want to supply bedding plants early.

GCSE Maths Edexcel Exam Practice Workbook with answers & online edn: Higher
GCSE Maths Edexcel Exam Practice Workbook with answers & online edn: Higher
by CGP Books

5.0 out of 5 stars good and solid exercise material for GCSE exams, 22 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The CGP exam practice workbooks are exactly that: exam practice. Nothing else, just focussed on the exam. To be successful at something like the GCSE exams, you need to practice. These workbooks give you material to do that. I'm a Maths tutor and I use the Workbooks regularly. The ordinary workbook is best started in November, giving something like 20 working weeks until the exams.
The exam practice workbook are much more like the real exam, so they are better used nearer the time, to check for progress and notice what needs working on.
There is nothing like a little test to show you where you stand.
It is up to the teachers and parents to make it clear how it works: once you understood something, you practice until you don't forget it any more. You check if you've got it by doing exam practice. The results you get depend on the work you put in. (Obviously, given proper teaching and guidance. Left to their own devices, children and teenagers don't do that, but they can understand it.)
These books are no substitute to proper teaching, but they give you the material you need for the run - up to the exam.

The Most Sublime Hysteric: Hegel with Lacan
The Most Sublime Hysteric: Hegel with Lacan
by Slavoj Zizek

5.0 out of 5 stars Demanding, challenging, and pleasurable., 19 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm in awe of Slavoj Zizek. I love his work, his approach, his delivery, his depth. But may be I should not have chosen this book for reviewing. Just as with reading Hegel or Lacan, this book stops me in my tracks on every page. I still haven't read much of it. The review is way overdue, and I read again: "According to orthodox dialectics, Understanding supposedly treats categories, conceptual determinate, as abstract moments, frozen and removed from the living totality, reduced to the specificity of their fixed identity. Reason, on the other hand, goes beyond the level of Understanding by deploying the living process of subjective (self-)mediation whose "dead" and rigid abstract moments, whose "objectifications", are the categories of Understanding." And again, I am thinking through this paragraph, trying to follow step by step without losing understanding, without skipping along the way. I like doing it this way, it is pleasing to be able to follow someone like this. It doesn't equate with agreeing, but when I agree, it is because of resonating with my own understanding, like a bit further on in the paragraph, when he writes: "Reason is not something "in addition" to Understanding,.... Reason is Understanding itself in the sense that nothing is missing from Understanding, in the sense that there is nothing beyond it."
So my review? It is a book I will derive pleasure from for a long time. It is a demanding read, but that's where the pleasure comes from. I will put it aside and not look at it for ling periods of time and then come back and read some more, or some of it again. Just like Hegel.
That's what a library is for: lots of books, you pull one out and have an encounter with the ideas within it. It enriches your life, that's what it does.

Mindfulness at Work For Dummies
Mindfulness at Work For Dummies
by Shamash Alidina

3.0 out of 5 stars Interested in mindfulness? Lots of suggestions in this book., 19 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is a curious thing when something you've known and practised for years suddenly becomes a fashion. I thought that I could deliver an expertly review about this book, I've been teaching Zen meditation and mindfulness for years, after all.
But I see myself ill equipped to do so after all. This is quite a different take on the subject from mine.
I can see how readers would benefit from reading this book, it's extensive, exhaustive even in the details and suggestions the authors get into. I don't want to criticise or even critique any of it. My experience is, after all, that this is about individual journeys of self - discovery for everyone following this path. Or so many possible path. As a teacher, I'm used to look who is in front of me, what the person is up to, and take it from there: some want to get over a problem, some are fascinated by the issue, some follow a fashion, and some have an urgent need to find out about themselves, their existence, their nature.
I am not an authoritarian teacher, as far as I'm concerned, it's up to you what you do and how seriously you pursue it. I can tell you in no uncertain terms, that without effort you gain nothing worthwhile, but .... your move.
And this is how I see this book: there are lots of useful suggestions in it. But it creates the impression that mindfulness will solve all your problems, and that's not how it works. Your life will be the same in principle, even after oh so many exercises and therapeutic activities. The rent still has to be paid, cars still break down, world peace doesn't break out because of you lighting a candle and chanting, relationships have their ups and downs, managers are still power - crazed idiots, on the whole....
Mindfulness can help you focus, it is a way to bring meditation into daily life, it can bring medical benefits, it can help with anxiety and obsession and depression. - can - that's the important word. It's a way to work on you, your self, your mind, your attitude. Who is doing that work? - You.
At the simplest level, it improves focussing, concentration. Going further, it's about becoming more aware of yourself, knowing yourself. But, as my teacher used to say: "knowing yourself is the hardest thing you can try to do".
So, by all means, get the book if you are interested, even get exited about this approach that sorts out your working life, but remember, it is you who stands in the workplace tomorrow encountering your colleagues, bosses, employees. You will have to deal with it, you, same old you. And what's wrong with that?

Raspberry Pi 2 Case by FLIRC - Ultimate Media Centre Companion
Raspberry Pi 2 Case by FLIRC - Ultimate Media Centre Companion
Offered by The Pi Hut

5.0 out of 5 stars A neat case for a neat computer, 17 Jan. 2015
Very neat case, sturdy and good looking. Will help to tidy up my projects and protect the board from accidental contact.

Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch Book 2)
Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a good writer, such a good story., 14 Dec. 2014
I'm so glad, I've found a new favourite writer. She takes me in this world she created and I'm engaged with it, care for the characters and the developments. The main character being part AI and part human, this is well covered in its complexity. Interesting, that the humanity of the personal relationships is brought out clearer by this. The society, aristocratic militaristic, with exacting standards and customs, very well worked out. The overall political situation, with two factions fighting for dominance, providing tensions and conflict. Can't wait for the next instalment.

Rich Man's War (Poor Man's Fight Series Book 2)
Rich Man's War (Poor Man's Fight Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping military space adventures, 18 Aug. 2014
Elliot Kay's writing grips you and carries you along, especially when he describes tense situations. He is very good at that, like with space battles. The stories of the main persons are well presented and make you care about and feel with them. All in all, good entertainment. I also liked it to meet several people again from the first book, and it looks like the epic will continue. I'll definitely read the next instalment. Even though the military space adventures are not my favourites, because I find them limited and sometimes a bit lengthy.

Days of High Adventure
Days of High Adventure

4.0 out of 5 stars Sword and magic adventure, an easy read, 14 Aug. 2014
I lie Elliott Kay's writing. It flows nicely, his subjects I find entertaining, his books are sexy in a pleasant and interesting way. This one is no exception, a surprising twist throws two gaming nerds into a different world which looks like their game has become real. They have to adapt very fast to fighting with real swords and magic against overwhelming odds. How will they ever get home if they survive?

Nescafe Dolce Gusto Oblo Coffee Capsule Machine by Krups - White
Nescafe Dolce Gusto Oblo Coffee Capsule Machine by Krups - White

5.0 out of 5 stars A great success, good looks, great taste (but creating a lot of waste)., 27 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great excitement when this machine arrived. We like a good coffee here, I even took it to the Zen group meeting and we did a 'Zen and the art of coffee morning'. Everyone likes the design and especially the simplicity of the features. You get the impression that it couldn't be made any simpler, filling the water reservoir: just pull out at the top and lift out; changing a pod: lift the lever and pull out the holder, drop a pod in, push the holder back in, lever down, ready to make your drink; cleaning parts: very few parts, very easy to clean. Making a drink couldn't be easier: press the on-switch, wait for green light, move the lever for either cold or hot water. I like it that it's up to you to move the lever back to stop the water, you can adjust the strength of the drink. There is a vast range of beverages available. So far we tried: espresso, americano, cappuccino, mocha, lungo, hot chocolate. The taste of all of them exceeded our expectation.
So why only four stars? Because of the waste. There is no way I can see to recycle anything, the used pods go in the bin. Couldn't the plastic pods be made from biodegradable material?
-Update: I changed it to five stars, because the waste issue is not directly about this machine, I'll have to take that up with Nestle.

-The pods are not recyclable, they are saying they are exploring some options at present.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11