Profile for Mrs. L Newman > Reviews

Content by Mrs. L Newman

Mrs. L Newman "and sometimes Mr Newman too." (UK)

Creative Writing: A Workbook with Readings
Creative Writing: A Workbook with Readings
by Linda Anderson
Price: 25.19

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book to will give you a solid foundation in writing for a bargain price., 10 Jun 2011
To really understand the value of this book, you have to understand that it forms the backbone of a university course from the Open University. A course that costs 700.

If you've studied with the Open University, or know someone who has, then you'll probably know how well written, researched and organised their course materials are. This course is no different. They have to be as there is not a lecturer physically present to guide you.

I studied this book in the final year of my degree, became a published writer (can't prove the connection for you unfortunately) and regularly still flick through it.

Some people will tell you the book is worthless without the rest of the course. I say, balderdash, set yourself a timetable to work through this book, download the FREE bits of the course audio content from the Open University's iTunes U page, get yourself into a writing group for feedback and see the improvement in your writing.

If I have one criticism, it would be that I wish I'd done the above and used the money to pay for the more advanced course!

Will Write for Food: The Complete Guide to Writing Cookbooks, Restaurant Reviews, Articles, Memoir, Fiction and More (Will Write for Food: The Complete Guide to Writing Blogs,)
by Dianne Jacob
Price: 8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to writing about food, 10 Jun 2011
First, I should probably 'fess up. I had already had some (non-food related) articles published and was an intermediate blogger before I picked this book up.

I found this book extremely useful as I wanted to begin writing about food but could miss out sections or skim read those that dealt with areas I'm already comfortable with. Yet, there are still a couple of sections like 'writing your own cookbook' that may become more useful down the line.

This really is one of those books that needs to be re-read at regular intervals as you develop.

For a beginner this book is probably overwhelming - you need to feel comfortable writing so I'd recommend a book focusing on writing skills to complement this book. I'd recommend this one: Creative Writing.

For intermediates, like me, there is a ton of guidance in here that will help you get started specialising in food writing. The great thing is you'll probably find yourself nodding as you read through the stuff that's good for beginners - reassured you're on the right path.

And for the advanced readers...it will point you in the right direction for working towards authorship yourself.