Profile for Margaret Gallagher > Reviews

Content by Margaret Gallagher

Margaret Gallagher (London)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Personal Atmosphere
Personal Atmosphere
by William Walker Atkinson
Price: 7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Rip-off, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Personal Atmosphere (Paperback)
This little 'book' is actually ONE CHAPTER photocopied from another book: 'Mental Fascination', by the same author. The FULL book costs LESS than this chapter. The content is very interesting so it is worth a look if you are interested in this sort of thing -but get the whole book, not this single chapter. It is a waste of money.

Philips GC4851/32 Azur Steam Iron - Purple
Philips GC4851/32 Azur Steam Iron - Purple
Offered by Bargains 2 U
Price: 59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear - I'm going to have to start doing the ironing now, 21 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I hate ironing. Absolutely hate it. Hadn't done any for many years. Any clothes I have bought that needed ironing have been left in the wardrobe after their first bath.

I have tried a couple of times to make friends with irons in the last 15 years, out of sheer necessity, only to have them spit and grumble and widdle all over my clean clothes - after I'd waded carefully through their dreadful instructions. Which gave me the perfect excuse to totally give up. Bargain!

Now I have this little purple number. It is easy to use, has clear instructions, irons regular stuff well - and I have just ironed a linen blend top, which came out beautifully. That was the acid test - and it has worked like a charm. Just like irons did in the olden days (back when when we used to iron our jeans with creases down the front!), before the fancy bells and whistles came along to create confusion and havoc and minor flooding.

I am dreading the prospect of now having to do lots of ironing, after all these years of ironing-free bliss. But it will be lovely to re-discover loads of clothes that I've not been able to wear for donkey's ages. So it all balances out, really.

This is a very good little iron. It does everything it says it will and, after years of iron-phobia, I think I am cured! Highly recommended.

Colliding Continents: A geological exploration of the Himalaya, Karakoram, and Tibet
by Mike Searle
Price: 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, fascinating book, 21 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have had a lifelong fascination with geology, physical geography and earth sciences (none of it professional), so I leapt upon this book with great enthusiasm.

It is very accessible and interesting for the lay person as well as being (IMO) of university text-book standard for depth of technical information. The combining of both the science and the travel aspects give it so much more life. You can really get the feel of all the places and of 'how things work' in a real context. And being able to share the author's great enthusiasm, knowledge and love for his subject, and for this beautiful place, is just pure joy. Highly recommended.

Into The Woods: How Stories Work and Why We Tell Them
Into The Woods: How Stories Work and Why We Tell Them
by John Yorke

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fascinating., 21 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not a writer, I don't have an Eng Lit degree - and I don't have anything to do with the media - I am just a reader of books and a viewer of TV and movies; so this is no expert review.

I was interested, after reading the info on the book, to learn something new about the structure and reality of story-telling. It is, after all, central to our whole way of communicating with each other. We live and communicate our stories all the time - and we are entertained and/or appalled by the real and imagined stories which are presented to us, in various forms, all through our lives. Stories always engage our interest far more than facts and figures. So to gain some understanding of the nuts-and-bolts of how it's done professionally was of great interest to me.

Yes, it is in-depth and it gets technical but it is written by a professional - an expert in the field - so that is completely to be expected. I found it completely fascinating. It opened my eyes to things I've never before considered and it has given my viewing and reading experiences much more depth as a result. Highly recommended.

The Negotiator in You: In Life (BBC Audio)
The Negotiator in You: In Life (BBC Audio)
by Joshua N. Weiss
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 7.53

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 21 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There were a few hints and tips in there but nothing that was not normal common sense.

The majority of the examples were from business or the work environment, despite its claim to be about negotiation 'in life'.

It really isn't worth the money.

Tea at the Grand Tazi
Tea at the Grand Tazi
by Alexandra Singer
Price: 5.77

2.0 out of 5 stars A LACK OF TEA !, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: Tea at the Grand Tazi (Paperback)
A Lack of Tea !

The title of this book, sounded interesting, but by the time i got to end of it, i was left cold and wondering what had happened to the tea! The characters in the book didn't really have any substance to then and i felt that the story line didn't really flow and felt disjointed. Having finished reading the book, i looked back and wondered what it was about. I felt disappointed and a bit bewildered and would be interested what other people think of the book. Maybe i was missing something ?

Russell Hobbs 20360 Desire Whole Fruit Juicer - 2 Litre - 550 Watt - Black
Russell Hobbs 20360 Desire Whole Fruit Juicer - 2 Litre - 550 Watt - Black
Price: 49.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A new juice experience, 13 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well-made, easy to take apart and put together and works very well converting fruit, veg and herbs into juice and pulp.

As some other reviewers have mentioned, there is a lot of faff with the washing up. But that, I understand, is to be expected with a juicer - and I suspect this is one of the more user-friendly ones in that department. I recommend running all the juiced-on parts under the hot tap straight after use - very quick and painless.

I agree also that, for the amount of faff, the amount of juice is small. And I recommend leaving the lid off the juice receptacle - that way the spout is less likely to miss when ejecting the juice, because it will make a mess otherwise. And for some reason I found that the majority of the pulp was spread across the inside of the lid section of the juicer, rather than the receptacle it was meant to go in. Some got in the right place, but not much. Not a big drama, but a bit peculiar.

It is important to realise, also, that although you are meant to be able to just bung in the ingredients, there are a number of (very sensible) suggestions about what and when to peel or otherwise remove parts of your fruit and veg. Advice well worth taking, so reading the instructions first is a good idea.

Now, to the four stars. Partly because of the odd weird things mentioned above - but also because I am a big fan of juice and smoothies (non-dairy) and I have always used a blender. I use 150-200ml of juice as a base, so that things don't get gluggy(organic apple is favourite, but have also squeezed the odd orange or lemon), then I throw in whatever is in the fridge - or the recipe (without skin and seedy innards when appropriate), and whizz the lot until it stops sounding lumpy. The result is usually gorgeous, of sufficient volume to constitute a full meal that will keep you going for a few hours at least, and you only have to wash three things: the bowl, the lid and your knife. Bargain.

I would say, though, that with some things that are more heavy-going to chop than soft or medium fruit or veg, I would opt for the juicer rather than the blender - it will do a much better job when the going gets tough.

Recommended - it is a good little juicer - but do your homework first and be sure you will actually use it once the novelty wears off, and not leave it to gather dust alongside the bread-maker...

KANDAK: Fighting with Afghans
KANDAK: Fighting with Afghans
by Patrick Hennessey
Price: 13.59

4.0 out of 5 stars The Real Story, 12 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A well-written, fascinating account of what it was really like to be fighting and working at the front lines in Afghanistan, alongside the ANA. Open and honest, the author does not pretend to be anything other than human and tells it like it was, no pretence - no b/s.

There is so much judgement and misunderstanding in the media about so many cultures and people that are different from our own, particularly when we are sending troops into their country - and we are encouraged to judge and condemn them for anything and everything that marks them as either different from us, or for being all too human - just like us. How can they win??

This book helps to redress the balance as, through Patrick Hennessey's eyes, we come to gain some understanding and respect for these amazing people, in whose country we have been not-so-welcome interlopers on more than one occasion. And who, for many decades, have been fighting for survival, more often than not against their own countrymen.

Read this, then read 'Fort of Nine Towers'.

Fatal Tango
Fatal Tango
by Wolfram Fleischhauer
Price: 7.64

3.0 out of 5 stars Plodding Fatal Tango, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Fatal Tango (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Fatal Tango: This book will only be of interest if you are interested in Tango, Ballet or a lover of the Argentine.

The title caught my eye and i was interested to see how it would progress, but alas i found that it was a bit ploddy and hard work and didn't feel it had any substance to it. I stuck with it, but cant really say that it was something i would recommend to readers. I found it hard work and heavy going.

Philips Imageo 7007531PU 1.5 Watt Plastic Candle Set, White
Philips Imageo 7007531PU 1.5 Watt Plastic Candle Set, White
Offered by DDL-Direct UK
Price: 21.60

1.0 out of 5 stars A safe alternative to candles, but..., 4 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly - these lights in no way compare to a real candle. There is no substitute for a living flame. That said, there are times when it would be lovely to use a candle but, due to safety issues (like me falling asleep and the lit candle burning the house down), I would never dream of using one. And these little gems are a great, practical and safe alternative.

They provide a gentle 'candle-light' that is totally safe to be left 'burning'. They even flicker. The light, although it is an LED, is at the yellow end of the spectrum as well, just like a candle.

My one small gripe is that it takes 10 hours to charge them, which is a very long time for something so small. They are lit while charging - so you get 10 hours of light as they charge, then another 10 as the charge runs down. But, once charged, you can place - or take them - them anywhere you like. Use them for atmosphere or to light your way in dark places - the uses are endless.

Mine make very nice night-lights for me, and my elderly cat - for when we need to take a night-time potty break, or go for a midnight snack.

Sadly I am having to make an addition to the above original review. I have had these candles for a little longer now and unfortunately they have not lived up to their promise. Because I use them at night I was not really aware of how long they lasted after charging. But after leaving them on at 11pm, a few days after I got them, I woke at 2.30 and found they were no longer working. I tried them again last night, after leaving them on charge all day - to find that they would not work at all. No matter what I did. I hope that this it a one-off problem and not indicative of the product in general. But on the strength of my experience I cannot recommend them.

I have to say, though, that my experience with Philips lighting has been outstanding in the past. So hopefully my experience this time is just down to one bad apple..

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20