Profile for William Meikle > Reviews

Content by William Meikle

William Meikle "Willie" (Newfoundland, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Crime Interviews Volume One: Best-selling Authors Talk About Writing Crime Fiction

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 29 Feb. 2012
A fascinating in-depth look at what fuels the psyche of Scottish crime writers. Highly recommended for anybody with an interest in crime fiction, Scotland, or both.

2:27 A.M.
2:27 A.M.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old school supernatural, and all the better for it, 21 Oct. 2011
This review is from: 2:27 A.M. (Kindle Edition)
Nicely done supernatural tale of the old school; told mostly through flashbacks and a slow burning tone. I saw the ending coming but that doesn't detract from a well handled story. Reminded me somewhat of Lieber's Conjure Wife in some places, and in other places it's obviously written by someone who understands grief and its effect on the human psyche.

Well worth the money.

Peter the Wolf (Book 1)
Peter the Wolf (Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable stream of consciousness tour de force, 2 Aug. 2011
A remarkable tour-de-force. This is a stream of consciousness book that takes you into the mind of a troubled person -- possibly deeper than you'd care to go, but you can't help yourself as Whitten drags you to hell along with Peter. At first I found it hard to sympathize with the character but the writing sucked me in until I couldn't stop reading.

There are several places that show a need for tightening up, with word repetition in the same paragraph threatening to pull me out of the story a few times, but Peter is so strongly realized that you can't help but go along, even if sometimes the honesty and self-awareness shown in his portrayal are almost too strong to bear.

Ms Whitten makes you feel for a truly damaged individual, and it's well worth sticking with it to find out where he is going.

____________________________________________________________________________

I'm leaving that initial review up as it was my first thoughts on reading the book. But it has been worrying me since then and I find myself more than a little disturbed. I am ambivalent now in my feeling about the main character, and believe that the portrayal may be too strong, too predatory in outlook. The writing is indeed powerful in places, but looking back on it after a period of a few days I was too forgiving of the descriptions of pleasure in the abusive acts performed. I actually feel grimy thinking about it, and such a reaction is not something I enjoy, nor want to have again.

So there you have it. My initial view, and what I think some days later...

The Bell
The Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful, taut and terrific, 24 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Bell (Kindle Edition)
Nicely told old school horror story with bags of atmosphere, nicely ratcheted tension and sympathetic characters. The ending in the bar just shouts out to be filmed.

Lockley and Lewis never fail to entertain and this in another winner to add to their collective portfolio. Seek them out, you won't be disappointed.

Of Time and Dust (The Sally Reardon Supernatural Mysteries Book 1)
Of Time and Dust (The Sally Reardon Supernatural Mysteries Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect supernatural tale, 3 Jun. 2011
I've read both these guys work before, and knew I was in safe hands, but I'd never read a collaboration from them and was worried whether it would work.

I needn't have. This short barrels along like a train, building up the creep factor as it goes to a nicely done final denoument that leaves you thinking.

And all done in less than 48 hours by Steve and Steven. A great job.

Of Time and Dust (Sally Reardon Supernatural Mysteries)
Of Time and Dust (Sally Reardon Supernatural Mysteries)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little creeper, 22 Dec. 2010

And all done in less than 48 hours by Steve and Steven. A great job.

Reformations: The First World War (The Reformations Trilogy Book 1)
Reformations: The First World War (The Reformations Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A top notch old school epic, 7 Oct. 2010
In the mood for some epic science fiction on a grand scale? A bombing,an abduction, confused time travellers and inter-generational starships. And that's just the start. I loved it.

Swanson has painstakingly stitched together a patchwork of disparate characters and situations (and creatures) and woven them into a story that encompasses all of time and space.

I'm looking forward to the next installment with... anticipation.

William Meikle
Author of The Invasion

Of Time And Dust
Of Time And Dust

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little creeper, 5 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Of Time And Dust (Kindle Edition)

And all done in less than 48 hours by Steve and Steven. A great job.

Creative Spirit (UK edition)
Creative Spirit (UK edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicholson is indeed a creative spirit, 5 Oct. 2010
Another winner from Mr Nicholson, this time with a fresh take on an old theme... the old place with a dark secret. Full of believable characters, a dark menacing atmosphere, and also shot through with the good humor that characterizes much of Scott's work.

This is horror at its best. No grue or shocks needed for effect here, just good people, in serious trouble, written by somebody that knows which buttons to push and when.

See out Mr Nicholson wherever you can find him. You won't be disappointed.

The Skull Ring
The Skull Ring

5.0 out of 5 stars A tight and lean examination of paranoia and fear, 10 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The Skull Ring (Kindle Edition)
Scott Nicholson's The Skull Ring is as tight and lean an examination of paranoia and fear as I've read in many a year. Its romp through Satanic cults and small town secrets reads like Stephen King meets Rosemary's Baby, but in some ways it affected me deeper than either, for it felt more grounded in reality than either King's down home style or Levin's sly humor.

Nicholson's prose sucks you in, makes you cosy, then hits you with a whammy. You are right there with the protagonist, feeling her isolation, smelling her fear. I read this all in one sitting just before bedtime, and believe me, that's not such a good idea.

This was my first Nicholson novel. It won't be my last

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4