Profile for J. Watkin > Reviews

Content by J. Watkin

J. Watkin "Jessica09" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Resident Evil: Afterlife [DVD] [2011]
Resident Evil: Afterlife [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Milla Jovovich

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this movie. Brilliant!, 17 Feb. 2011
I am a massive fan of the Resident Evil franchise in general. I played all the games as they came out and grew up playing Resident Evil 1 through to most recently 5.

When the first movie came out I realised that these weren't going to be movies that were based tightly on the games, they are based very loosely on them indeed. Alice is not a character that is ever in any of the games. However, the creators of the movies seem to pick and choose aspects from the games to put into the movies.

I am a massive fan of the movies, I love them as stand alone zombie/action flicks, and I love the bits of them that have elements of the games in them. As with Resident Evil 2 the movie, I absoloutley loved how they stuck to Jill's costume.

This movie is brilliant. I really really enjoyed it. I went to see it in 3D at the cinema. It had me jumping out of my seat. I do love Alice's character as well, I like the new characters. I like how they have used the Las Plagas from the fourth and fifth game, although unexplained they worked well.

My favourite scene has to be the scene with the axe man. I just love the kick butt action of this movie. As a girl I love to see females kicking butt it has to be said.

Fantastic movie. Would recommend it to anyone who loves action/horror and even fans of the Resident Evil games, theres a lot of aspects from the games in this one.

Devil [DVD]
Devil [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Messina
Offered by The Happy Zombie

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple premise. Did not help my fear of lifts!, 17 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Devil [DVD] (DVD)
I really did enjoy this movie. I am a fan of horror movies. Whereas gore filled movies, slasher flicks etc are enjoyable, they are generally predictable and in all honestly not that frightening.

The best type of horror movie to me is one that keeps you guessing. One that has small frights and big frights, a film that builds up fear/suspense/suspicion and keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering when the next scare will come.

I like movies that are spooky, thought provoking and this is one of them. It is one of the best horror movies I've personally seen in a long time. I watched it with my mum, we were sat there both with terrified expressions on our faces. I felt on edge and shivery throughout the movie. It was genuinley terrifying.

Its a simple premise, people stuck in a lift. Honestly? I wasn't going to bother watching it, I thought 'Really, a whole horror movie where people are in a life, how boring' But it really isnt!

I'd recommend giving it a watch.

I Spit On Your Grave [DVD]
I Spit On Your Grave [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sarah Butler
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars A horror movie not to be taken TOO seriously, 17 Feb. 2011
This review is from: I Spit On Your Grave [DVD] (DVD)
This is a movie I personally thoroughly enjoyed. I will admit purely for the fact that as a horror fan, I usually see films where women are butchered and mutilated at the hands of males...and females. It's nice to see the victim get the upper hand for once.

Although this film is very gorey I did enjoy it. Everyones opinion will differ. To some the revenge will seem over the top, a bit unrealistic and morally out of order.

But I believe although the subject matter rape/torture etc is quite heavy/serious it isn't a film to be over analysed and taken too seriously. It is what it is, woman raped and humilated by hillbillies, woman gets her revenge on the men.

I will admit to being one of those who along with my mum was sat their cheering along. After all, it isn't real. Its just a movie.

I give it four stars because I enjoyed it, but its not a masterpiece or anything special and to a lot of people could be considered unsavoury, not for the feint hearted!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2012 12:28 AM BST

Stand Still
Stand Still

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 12 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Stand Still (Audio CD)
Most people got to know Emma through the Sky 1 talent show that she took part in. However, my first taste was when a friend linked me to the song 'This day' I instantly fell in love with the soft vocals and catchy tune. I literally couldn't wait to hear more.

I will admit, on first listen of this album I too wondered if it was a bit too twee and floaty. However, listening to it a second time I've fallen in love with her voice and the the songs on the album, the lyrics are beautiful and all songs are put together beautifully.

I would recommend this to anyone. Im a fan of artists like Ellie Goulding, Maria Mena, Maria Taylor...this is definatley my type of music.

Kick-Ass [DVD] [2010]
Kick-Ass [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Aaron Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars It made me laugh...it made me cry..., 8 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Kick-Ass [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
At first I was unsure about this movie. I thought it would be some kid friendly superhero film...and I've seen far too many of those! Then I noticed the rating which peaked my interested so I decided to give it a go.

This movie is truly brilliant, from the opening scene it had me hooked with its funny narrative. It made me laugh, it made me cry and it made me regain faith in humanity and remember all the good things about people, that might sound strange but it truly is a heartwarming film.

If you want kick ass action, give it a go.

Survival Of The Dead [DVD]
Survival Of The Dead [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alan Van Sprang
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a genius, 21 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Survival Of The Dead [DVD] (DVD)
I really enjoyed this film. It had the true Romero feel to it. With some of the typical zombie gore scenes I've come to expect. I love the fact this film as his others concentrates on a small pocket of characters and the way people are always too concerned with petty issues rather than the big issues.

I haven't got much more to say other than I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd recommend it to any zombie fan and any Romero fan. He's still got it.

Lungs
Lungs

5.0 out of 5 stars Not in a long time..., 15 July 2009
This review is from: Lungs (Audio CD)
Have I been so excited about the release of an album. Usually I like a couple of songs on an album and I can either buy it or just download a couple of the singles. But this album blows most other music and artists out of the water.

Never in my life have I LOVED every song on an album, but I LOVE every song on this one. She has a unique style and voice thats second to none.

Zombie Virus On Mulberry Street [DVD] [2007]
Zombie Virus On Mulberry Street [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Nick Damici
Offered by Wowudo

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this film, a lot!, 23 May 2009
I love a good zombie/horror movie. This film has realistic, gritty camera work which makes it seem all the more scary and real. It starts off with rats biting people and transferring a strange zombie/rat virus to most of Manhattan (I think!). Its your typical zombie flick, people oblivious to whats going on find themselves surrounded by zombies everywhere they look. I really liked how much they built up the characters, you actually ended up caring what happened to them.

My only criticisms are the ambiguous ending (wont spoil it for you) And the fact the zombies turn more and more rat like (I like your run of the mill living dead)

Welcome To The Jungle [DVD]
Welcome To The Jungle [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sandy Gardiner

4.0 out of 5 stars Personally I loved this film, 19 May 2009
This review is from: Welcome To The Jungle [DVD] (DVD)
Perhaps its my bad taste for low rate horrors? But I love the realistic filming style, its a lot of character build up and not so much action BUT when the action begins its good. This film REALLY scared me and terrified me, and the ending is fantastic.

Hit And Run [DVD]
Hit And Run [DVD]
Dvd ~ Laura Breckenridge
Offered by wantitcheaper

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrifying., 18 May 2009
This review is from: Hit And Run [DVD] (DVD)
Im suprised this film hasnt been enjoyed and reviewed favourably. It is absoloutley terrifying. A strange ride through a crazy night. I wouldnt think twice about drink driving as it is, but this film makes you terrified of driving not just drink driving!

The characters are believable, and the film starts of normally and slowly twists and turns into something more sinister and truly frightening.

You think you hit a cat? Think again. What happens when you find a person on your car?

Brilliant.