Profile for J. Watkin > Reviews

Content by J. Watkin

J. Watkin "Jessica09" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Lamaze Play And Grow Sir Prance-a-Lot
Lamaze Play And Grow Sir Prance-a-Lot
Offered by EDUFUN - UK

4.0 out of 5 stars My little one loves this toy!, 13 May 2013
My son has had this from about 4 months old. He does love it and enjoys playing with it but it is not his favorite Lamaze toy. He prefers Freddy the Firefly or his absolute favorite Captain Calamari. So if you are an avid collector of Lamaze like me it is a great, vibrant, interactive toy to add to your collection. However if you only want to purchase one I'd go for Freddy or Captain Calamari.

The Story of Her Holding an Orange
The Story of Her Holding an Orange

5.0 out of 5 stars Still expecting to see Rose!, 13 May 2013
Loved this. First read it on Reddit in the No Sleep section and it's one of those that stuck in my mind and creeped me out! I like the writers unique style and this is one of THE creepiest stories that I have ever read!

Thank you for a good read.

Dead Ever After: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse 13)
Dead Ever After: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse 13)
by Charlaine Harris

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed., 13 May 2013
Charlaine Harris is a fantastic writer and I love this series but I was left almost crying by the end of this book. I know it is the authors choice of where a story goes and that she knew this ending from the start, but I just feel let down.

When she got together with Eric it just seemed like the right thing, I remember being so happy and thinking that finally she was with someone that 'got her'. I know a life with a vampire wouldn't have been her happy future life in the sun that she wanted deep down but Sookie isn't a 'normal' girl, and she deserved a less 'boring' future and life in my eyes.

I won't pretend I wasn't upset with who she ended up with. I was. Yet that isn't the reason I give it one star and would give it none if I could, I feel like Charlaine didn't stay true to her readers or her characters. Why build a relationship for so many books to crush it down in a few pages. Sookie didn't even take any real time to heal from Eric.

I will be getting the book of short stories when it comes out because I love the characters and I wanted to find out what happened to them all in this kind of 'epilogue' of short stories.

So thank you Charlaine for 12 of the best books I have ever read. I'm sorry to leave a poor review. I know that as an author it is important to stay true to what you want to write, however, at the same time I feel like when people have spent a lot of money on a lot of books, what the readers wanted could have been factored in.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2013 3:48 PM BST

Penpal
Penpal

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! No Sleep for me., 26 April 2013
This review is from: Penpal (Kindle Edition)
I first heard of this story on the Reddit sub-forum No Sleep.

I decided to buy the Kindle version and read it in it's entirety and I'm very impressed. Excellent. Terrifying and all together a great read.

Twisted
Twisted

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant collection of short stories, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Twisted (Kindle Edition)
I love horror. Especially short stories. It's been a long time since I read a good collection of short stories but these were fantastic and I have recommended them to everyone I know who likes horror stories.

Well done to the Author. There should be more kick butt female horror writers like her.

Electra Heart
Electra Heart
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album., 30 April 2012
This review is from: Electra Heart (Audio CD)
Marina's first album is one that I've listened to a 100 times over and was my summer album when it first came out. This one is very different but just as good.

Every song is good in it's own way. Highlighting her beautiful and unique voice and talent. I highly recommend this album, it has a great mix of tracks and showcases the new direction that she is taking that I think is a good one. After all, it is good when artists start to do new things. If it was a carbon copy of her last album It would be boring.

Mortal Kombat (PS3)
Mortal Kombat (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing game, 30 April 2011
This review is from: Mortal Kombat (PS3) (Video Game)
I was a massive fan of Mortal Kombat Deception and Mortal Kombat Armageddon on the PS2...not such a fan of Shaolin Monks.

I feel like this game goes back to everything that is great about Mortal Kombat, fatalities, awesome moves, amazing characters. An epic story mode which is good fun and immersive.

I dont have a lot to say other than its given me hours of fun already and is well worth the money played, the tag team ladder is so much fun, me and my sister, bf, friends are always teaming up to get coins and unlock goodies in the crypt.

Well worth buying.

Light After Dark
Light After Dark
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful talent, 2 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Light After Dark (Audio CD)
I first saw an advert for this album on the tv. At first listen to her voice I wasn't sure. I'm not a fan of deep voiced female vocalists and wasn't sure if her unique voice was for me.

However I decided to get the album and was pleasently suprised. The songs are powerful, energetic and have beautiful lyrics.

I thoroughly enjoyed every track on this album and highly recommend it.

Zombieland [DVD] [2010]
Zombieland [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Woody Harrelson
Offered by streetsahead

5.0 out of 5 stars This film was like an American Shaun of the Dead for me, 26 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Zombieland [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I am a massive horror movie fan, and I especially love zombie horror. Good zombie movies are few and far between. Shaun of the Dead has always been a massive favourite of mine. I love horror and I love comedy, usually the two don't go so well together but Shaun of the Dead worked perfectly. With loads of clever references etc it was as another reviewer said 'a breath of fresh air' This is the only movie I've ever been to see twice at the cinema and it was worth it.

I went to the cinema to see Zombieland, from the opening credits I was hooked. I loved the slow motion stills set to the backdrop of 'For Whom the bell tolls' by Metallica.

Jesse Eisengberg's character is loveable almost instantly, a blatant geek whose OCD habits and 'rules' such as 'double tap' and 'always wear a seatbelt' seem to be what have been keeping him alive. He is not your typical movie hero.

The biggest reason I love this movie is the introduction of Woody Harrelson better known as Tallahassee in this film. As a massive fan of zombie movies sometimes the best ones are just the ones where zombies get their butts kicked. In the Resident Evil franchise I loved how Milla Jojovich tears the zombies to shreds. Talahassee does the same thing but comically. He summarises who we would all like to be in the event of a zombie apocolypse, with an impressive arsenal of weapons and a hilarious attitude he is my favourite character in this movie.

Although there isn't tonnes of action this movie is purely funny. It is also heartwarming. I will admit to shedding a tear at the end, I loved the characters, I loved the action when there is some. Watching Tallahassee take shears to the neck of one of the 'fatty' zombies was one of the funniest parts of the movie to me. 'Those poor fat B******'. It is a brilliant movie. I would be hard pressed to choose a favourite between this and Shaun of the Dead. Would recommend it to anyone. I recently watched it with a friend who HATES horror movies but he absoloutley loved this movie and rates it as one of his favourites of all time. Although It must have been the tenth time I've seen it I was still giggling all the way through.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2011 7:02 AM BST

Speak Now
Speak Now
Offered by nagiry

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth paying for the deluxe edition, 26 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Speak Now (Audio CD)
The first I heard of Taylor Swift was 'Love Story' At first I wasn't a fan, but decided to buy 'Fearless' anyway, I was pleasently suprised by her music. The lyrics are very good, and for me and I imagine a lot of other people they are lyrics I can relate too. I found that the music grew on me so I purchased 'Taylor Swift' her debut album. Again, not as good as Fearless in my books, but a good album.

I had been looking foward to the release of 'Speak Now' for quite a long time and decided to purchase the deluxe edition. I purchased the deluxe edition with 'Fearless' and my favourite song of that album was one of the deluxe 'extras' So I was very glad I did. With 'Speak Now' I also found that some of my favourite songs were ones that wouldn't be included if I'd bought the non deluxe edition. On the strength of 'Superman' and 'Long Live' I would have paid the extra money just for them.

I'm going to break down the songs and what I think of them:

Mine 3/5: Not the best song on the album by a long shot, I kind of feel the same way as I do about 'Love Story' Pleasent enough but not her best.

Sparks Fly 5/5: The kind of song that I like to listen too when getting ready to go out or to go and see my boyfriend. It puts me in a good mood almost instantly. I love the lyrics and I love the feel of the song.

Back to December 3/5: Again, not the best on the album by far but a nice enough song with nice lyrics and a good tune. Apparently about her relationship with Taylor Lautner.

Speak Now 5/5: A sweet, tongue in cheek song with a story. I like the way a lot of her songs tell a story and this one is just fabulous, with lyrics like 'Wearing a gown like a pastry' You can't help but love it.

Dear John: 4/5: A rather long song apparently directed at John Meyer who has long been speculated as a bit of a love rat (But a wonderful musician!) Although Taylor Swift never confirms or denies who her songs are directed at the guitar in the background sounds a LOT like something out of one of John Mayers songs, you can almost feel the angst/heartache in the lyrics and her voice and I like the way it is obviously a song she feels and has felt. A song a lot of girls can relate too.

Mean 5/5: I love this song, I listened to it again and and again after a break up and it cheered me up no end. Its a catchy little tune with again, wonderful lyrics.

The Story of Us 4/5: Another good song, with well thought out lyrics. Taylor proves time and time again that she's a truly talented musician and lyricist.

Never Grow Up 5/5: A sweet and gentle song, as usual slightly autobiographical as there are references to what I assume are her mother. A lovely message is sent out in this song and I think its lovely.

Enchanted 5/5: This is one of my favourites of the album. I love the subject matter, I love the lyrics, I love the tune. The lyrics at the end 'Please dont be in love with someone else' You can tell that Taylor Swift writes from the heart.

Better than Revenge 4/5: I enjoy this song as it is what I feel a revenge song. Apparently about Camille Bell, the girl Joe Jonas left Taylor Swift for. Speculation says this is a song in response to Joe Jonas's song which states 'Now I'm done with superstars, and all the tears on her guitar'.

Innocent 2/5: The one song I don't like on this album. Sometimes Taylor Swift songs are 'growers' and they take a few listens. I've tried to listen to it more than once but for some reason I don't like this song at all.

Last Kiss 5/5: The first time I heard this I nearly cried, Its such a beautiful song about a break up, something a lot of us can relate too.

Long Live 5/5: Beautiful lyrics, cheerful song. Another one of my favourites on the album.

DELUXE EDITION TRACKS

Ours 4/5: A song about not caring about what others think of her relationships etc. I like this song, again its not the best but its catchy.

If this was a movie 5/5: Another song I related too on a personal level, about when you wish things were like the movies. The guy showing up on your doorstep in the middle of the night begging for forgiveness. Taylor Swift may be a super star but she seems to have her fair share of heartache and break ups and this song like all of hers shows shes a human being. A beautiful song.

Superman: My favourite song of the album.

All the rest of the content is different versions of songs already on the album, a music video and a making of. All good content and worth having.

This album was worth the wait and I would definatley go for the deluxe edition. Happy Listening.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5