Profile for PC > Reviews

Content by PC

PC (Somerset)

Nikon COOLPIX P610 Digital Camera - Black (16.0 MP, CMOS Sensor, 60x Zoom) 3.0 -Inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great "do it all" camera., 16 Mar. 2015
This is a very versatile bridge camera and is now quite refined as it is the latest in a long line from Nikon. I have recently returned to shooting with a bridge camera after several years with DSLR's (big, heavy, never have the right lens with me) and compact system cameras (don't handle so well, no viewfinder on the models I used, never have the right lens with me). If you are looking at this you have probably also considered the Canon SX60. I tested both in store, expecting to buy the Canon as my last bridge was an SX30. I can tell you that the Nikon focused faster in low light and the image stabiliser seemed more effective. I tried shooting a camera lying on its back on a shelf two metres away, no flash in auto mode. The Nikon focused quickly and the image was sharp (I could read the serial number of the camera I was shooting), the Canon struggled and after several attempts an image with significant camera shake was achieved. The Canon was larger and looked more "business like" with its DSLR styling. The Canon also has a hot shoe for flash. The Nikon has an eye sensor for the viewfinder (very useful). Viewfinders on both were sharp but small. I decided that faster focusing/eye sensor/smaller size were more important for me than the hot shoe. You may decide otherwise. Overall image quality in general use is excellent, noise is well controlled for amateur purposes and lens is sharp edge to edge. Moon and birding modes are a nice touch, some modes are hard to find/not logical, for example star trail mode is under "time lapse". There is only a basic printed manual and no CD, you have to download the full manual from Nikon. It doesn't tell you what ISO it is using in Auto ISO mode. There is no ISO button but you can assign it to the function button. Build is reasonable although there is a bit of give in the battery door and it is a step down from a mid-range DSLR or a Sony Nex for example. Tripod socket is metal, generally a good indicator of build quality. I have no experience of the older P600, which was described by some as "sluggish" and slow to focus and zoom. All I can say is that this camera seems to be quite smooth and snappy to operate even after using a DSLR. I can't comment on the video, WiFi or GPS as these functions are of no interest to me Hope this helps you make up your mind, I think this is a great all-in-one option for experienced amateurs like me.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2015 2:14 PM BST

SonoroSTEREO All-In-One Stereo Music System (CD/FM/DAB/DAB+ BT) Red
SonoroSTEREO All-In-One Stereo Music System (CD/FM/DAB/DAB+ BT) Red
Offered by ACR-Allendorf SUPER-Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Ruark for less money., 3 Nov. 2014
Auditioned this as well as the Ruark R4i. To my ears the Sonoro sounds much richer and fuller and we really didn't like the remote that comes with the Ruark. There are some downsides; the DAB reception is poor, the headphone socket is round the back and there is no stop button for the CD on the remote, only pause so it keeps spinning. But it is beautifully made and £100 less than the Ruark. Blind testing against our Denon M39 with Roth speakers the Sonoro excelled in nearly all areas. The bass can be a bit over the top at times but this can be dialled back. Also stereo imaging is poor because the speakers are so close together. Otherwise it sounds great and lends a truly analogue effect to vinyl which was tending to sound harsh on the Denon - this was why we were shopping for a new system or speaker upgrade in the first place. The red finish is deep and classy not bright as in the picture on Amazon, but a wood effect would have been preferable for us. Well worth considering and not something you will see everywhere as Sonoro are little known in the UK. Bought from our local hifi shop and we listened to several alternatives before making our decision. Be careful not to damage the unprotected woofer in the base when moving it though! Ours came with a metal telescopic aerial.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2014 2:17 PM GMT