Profile for the elf > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
HP DeskJet F380
HP DeskJet F380

4.0 out of 5 stars 4/5, 24 Nov. 2006
This review is from: HP DeskJet F380 (Office Product)
A much better printer than the Lexmark I previously owned (at least this prints straight - the Lexmark wouldn't no matter how I tried. It has two downfalls that I've found. One is in scanning and editing. With the Lexmark it was easy to scan a document to Word for editing. I haven't found that capability with the HP. Secondly the Lexmark powered down when the computer ws turned off. You have to physically do this with the HP (plus it takes an age between sending the first document to the printer and the job actually starting) but once started it's fast. Even draft quality b/w printing is good quality, certainly good enough for letter writing. Think I'll keep the Lexmark as my default scanner and print with the HP. Incidentally you can, if you look around, get compatible ink for the HP with up to 4 times the amount of ink as the originals for the same price.

At Risk (Winston Garano Series)
At Risk (Winston Garano Series)
by Patricia Cornwell

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorely disappointed, 12 July 2006
In line with other readers I found this very disappointing. It seems hurried. Rushed out to make a bit more money. Preying on the gullibility of fans. Don't waste your money!

Cross Bones: (Temperance Brennan 8)
Cross Bones: (Temperance Brennan 8)
by Kathy Reichs

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read, 22 Mar. 2006
Another hit from Ms Reichs who is fast catching up on Patricia Cornwell just as long as Tempe doesn't start solving cases the way she does on T.V.

Predator (Scarpetta Novels)
Predator (Scarpetta Novels)
by Patricia Cornwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, Pat!, 22 Mar. 2006
Definitely NOT one of her best. Get back to the blood and guts. I'm and ardent fan of Ms Cornwell but this was a big disappointment. Kathy Reichs is fast catching her up and, if this continues, will soon overtake her.

Plague Maker
Plague Maker
by Tim Downs

5.0 out of 5 stars An entralling read, 22 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Plague Maker (Hardcover)
This is the first book I've read by Mr Downs (I believe he's only written two previous novels) but I'll be looking out for more. If he can build on this he'll definitely be one to watch out for. He builds his story carefully and tastefully telling parts of his tale from the memories of the main characters. He gets the adrenalin flowing to the point where you've just got to read the next chapter, then he lowers your heartrate, keeping you in suspense for a couple of chapters before starting all over again. Then of course he endeared himself to me by his reference to two ships built "in the same Sunderland shipyard" (an obviously intelligent man) A damn good book!

Space Race: The Untold Story of Two Rivals and Their Struggle for the Moon
Space Race: The Untold Story of Two Rivals and Their Struggle for the Moon
by Deborah Cadbury

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as a novel, 17 Jan. 2006
This was bought for me as a gift and to be honest I expected it to join others of a similar vein on the bookshelf and stay there. Not so, I picked it up and find it so hard to put down. Not technical, not boring historical facts but easy to read and very interesting, if you're into this sort of thing. So well told you'd never believe that it was all true.

The Plot Against America
The Plot Against America
by Philip Roth

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Jan. 2005
An absolutely BRILLIANT read. The best I've had in ages. a real page turner. Had me hooked from start to finish.

A Garden Lost in Time (A & B Crime)
A Garden Lost in Time (A & B Crime)
by Jonathan Aycliffe

2.0 out of 5 stars Not his best, 15 May 2004
I'm a big fan of Johnathan Aycliffe's but I have to admit that this didn't scare me at all. In fact it really disappointed me. It pales into insignificance compared to his "A Shadow on the Wall", "The Lost", and "The Vanishment" and the magnificent "Naomi's Room".

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5