Profile for Stanley Johnson > Reviews

Content by Stanley Johnson

Stanley Johnson (Melbourne)

Page: 1 | 2
How to Do Better Creative Work (Prentice Hall Business)
How to Do Better Creative Work (Prentice Hall Business)
by Steve Harrison

4.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all, 10 Oct 2011
Terrific book from the former exec CD of Wunderman London. Whether you want to be more creative, write better briefs or learn how to recognise and make ideas happen, Harrison will help you do it.

Six Thinking Hats
Six Thinking Hats
by Edward de Bono
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Change the way you think, 5 Oct 2011
This review is from: Six Thinking Hats (Paperback)
It's easy to be sceptical of De Bono. His name pops up regularly whenever people talk about ideas and creative thinking. Spend a few hours in the company of this excellent book and you'll understand why. If you have ever had trouble convincing people about your ideas, get a copy of this book asap.

It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want to Be: The world's best-selling book by Paul Arden
by Paul Arden

5.0 out of 5 stars Every home should have a copy, 5 Oct 2011
When I taught an advertising class at university I put this book at the top of the required reading list. Most of the kids couldn't understand why a tiny little book retailing for under a fiver was so important. Until they read it.

Most of those kids, like me, now keep a copy of this book on their desk, because within its small, perfectly formed pages, lie more inspirational ideas than any book I have ever read. Seriously.

Cutting Edge Advertising: How to Create the World's Best Print for Brands in the 21st Century
by Jim Aitchison

4.0 out of 5 stars Learn from the best, 5 Oct 2011
Messrs French and Aitchison have been responsible for some brilliant advertising over the years. You, dear reader, have the chance to learn from them both by getting hold of a copy of this inspirational book.

Admittedly the title has dated a little, especially in the digital age, but the wisdom and insights contained within its pages are as true today as the day they were written.

Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Advertising (Adweek Magazine)
by Luke Sullivan

4.0 out of 5 stars Squeeze that, read this., 5 Oct 2011
Luke Sullivan has written one of the best adland books around. He writes a great blog too. And rumour has it he's currently working on a 2011 edition of this great book. I for one will be adding a copy to my bookcase to replace the copy I lent to a student and never got back.

Helvetica [DVD] [2007] [NTSC]
Helvetica [DVD] [2007] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Gary Hustwit
Offered by SweetBuzzards
Price: 6.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinatinf film. Honest!, 5 Oct 2011
Yeah, I know what you're thinking. A film about a font. And not just any font either - the clean lined and over used Helvetica. Well guess what people...This is a great film. Honest!

Art & Copy: Inside Advertising's Creative Revoluti [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Artist Not Provided
Offered by RAREWAVES USA
Price: 9.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Who said ads aren't interesting?, 5 Oct 2011
Wonderful film. If only most of the ads we see on TV were as good as the ones featured in this excellent documentary. What really makes this film though isn't the ads, it's the people who created them. Four stars from me!

From Those Wonderful Folks Who Gave You Pearl Harbor: Front-line Dispatches from the Advertising War
by Jerry Della Femina
Price: 6.42

5.0 out of 5 stars This book never gets old, 5 Oct 2011
I have recommended this book to every young creative person I have ever worked with or mentored. Sadly most of them were unable to read it as it was long out of print.

NOT ANYMORE!

This brilliant book reads like a draft of the script for the first series of Mad Men. Which should come as no surprise given Jerry Della Femina was a Mad Ave man of Draperesque renown. I think he may even have consulted on the show.

A brilliant book, which is worth reading if only for the story behind the title.

Confessions of an Advertising Man
Confessions of an Advertising Man
by David Ogilvy

4.0 out of 5 stars Still feels fresh, 5 Oct 2011
I read a well thumbed second hand copy of this book twenty years ago. At the time, even though it had been around for ages, much of the wisdom contained within its pages was up to date and relevant to advertising in the early nineties.

For reasons I can't remember, I took a copy of this book on holiday this year, and read it in a day. I couldn't believe how something written so long ago still held true in the age of internet and iPhones. A must buy, me thinks.

D&AD, the Copy Book
D&AD, the Copy Book
by D&AD
Price: 28.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for wannabe creatives, 5 Oct 2011
This review is from: D&AD, the Copy Book (Hardcover)
I bought the first edition of this book when I was an earnest young copywriter. To say that my copy is well thumbed is something of an understatement. So excited to see Taschen has republished it.

If you work in advertising, and even if you don't, this book is an essential read. Whilst I'd never consider myself good enough to feature in it, I'm proud to say I have worked with a couple of the creative legends featured within its pages.

Page: 1 | 2